Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am totally insane

If you think my Phil Phorums obession is tiresome, do me a favor and just look at this short thread. Rarely has their ever been such a marriage of scary, lying, creepy, wanky, childish and just plain tin-foil-hat-batshit-loonball.

http://www.paxbaculum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1120

Hint: They begin to posit the theory that the best fighters are either convicted violent criminals or as of yet unprosecuted violent criminals.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 1:14pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone should post the link to the Gannon Kimbo fight for them I guess.

Edit : On man, that's Dan Webre of Outlaw Fighting Systems of whatever the hell he calls it now. That guy is a complete tool. He comes up with these impossible scenarios and explains how MMA, TMA and RSBD cannot answer them. "Someone has a high powered sniper rifle and is looking at the back of your head from 800 yards away. How would a Gracie prevent that?" Not that he ever offers a workable solution, or that there even IS a solution to his little melodramas. The only thing he ever says that makes sense is, guy with gun has a big advantage. And I am sure that comes as a shock to everyone.
    Last edited by TylerDurden; 11/19/2004 1:25pm at .
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Marasmos

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That thread is mindnumbing. After reading through a part of it, I decided I don't want to lose any more IQ points.
    You say what about my rice?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 1:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is RBSD defeatist in it's mental approach? I submit this quote:

"What major flaws does anyone detect rendering pro fighters helpless or at a disadvantage in a street fight when observing sport fighters, the likes of Mike Tyson or Frank Shamrock and others?"

We are not talking about Frank Shamrock or Mike Tyson, but the average person who studies and trains in martial arts and/or self defense. Unless they have the skills of a Mike Tyson or Frank Shamrock, what those two can do against a streetfighter is largely irrelevant.
    The author is "debunking" somehting Joe Lewis said. While I agree that Frank Shamrock's talent in no way protects you just by training like him, who would you rather aspire to be (in a fight) Frank Shamrock or Phil Elmore? It seems that the basic assumption of a lot of RBSD folks is that you will never be good enough to fight like a pro MMA fighter so training like them will not help YOU. How is that leap of logic tolerated? In what other field is the training of the elite considered ineffective?

I think you know my answers, when the **** hits the fan I'd certainly rather be in Frank Shamrock's shoes than Phil Elmore's. So if I want to get to that point, I better train a lot more like Frank and a lot less like Phil.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 11/19/2004 1:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 1:32pm

Style: 11 1/2 Dan in Roshambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know...training like Phil involves competing in numerous pie-eating contests.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 1:50pm

Style: karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not to mention stealing the Rock's eyebrow gimmick!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 1:50pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gosh, you mean I can't pull guard on a guy in a moving car? Well, there goes my self-defense strategy.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate how MMA etc. sells you the lie that guns are just there to carry bullets around. It is not true that criminals have to walk up to you and force the bullet with their bare hands into your body.

:new_snipe :qright1:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 2:11pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He does offer SOME good criticism, however his unwillingness to offer ANY kind of solution is killing me. I don't think the thesis is that criminals make the best fighters though. I think the point he was trying to make is that criminals hold a very distinct advantage in that they (for the most part) have no regard for morality and human life: the kind of people that'd sooner shoot you in the face as look at you. This means that they can level the playing field quite easily using surprise, speed, and violence of action. Basically the fight's over before you know it even began. Would the Gannon/Kimbo fight have been different if Kimbo had suckered Gannon in the locker room with a bat and intent to maim or kill? You bet your ass.

So, RBSD and other MA's are essentially giving people false confidence by not bringing this up. That's all. Is he making too much of this? Yeah, probably. Can anyone really train for a surprise attack from 3 armed assailants (let alone the sniper a la "Phone Booth")? No, not really, unless you're willing to have your friends jump you every once in a while when you're not expecting it. Sounds fun, but it's not very practical. The boss might get upset when Jim from IT starts strangling you with a patch cable while you're trying to use the photocopier. You might break the screen. :laughing7

Really the point is, in true Bullshido spirit, don't believe that your art makes you untouchable on "t3h str33t". It just helps even the odds.
    Last edited by bodar; 11/19/2004 2:13pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it disqualifies you as defender of truth and pragmatism when you make things up about being a prison-brawling, EMT-trained, hardcore, super-secret, Masta Killa then wrap that around the glimmer of a salient point and call that **** sandwich nutrious.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast