Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 10:47am

Style: Jazzercise

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Texas Boxing Commision Pulled My Card!

I was on the card to fight Rene Nalasco (TX amateur mma rules) at the Crowne Plaza in Addison this Saturday, the 20th.

I received a voice mail last night from the promoter (and a heck of a nice guy) Steve Armstrong.

He turned in his event card to the commision and when the commision called him back they informed him that I fought pro in 2001 and am therefore considered "pro" and am not allowed to fight as an amateur in Texas

My "pro" event, the FX Toughman.

That sucks.

The Toughman is billed as an all amateur event.

Certainly pros (on the down low) do fight in the FX Toughman.

In my event, a 79-3 amateur took my division (he KO'd me in the semi) and a pro kickboxer took the heavy weight division.

Still the majority of fighters were amateur.

So, this 1 event blew my eligibility.

Steve Armstrong told the commision, "But he has been fighting as an amateur in Texas" (2 AAU San Shou fights and 2 Renegades MMA)

And the commision said," It was an oversight that we didn't catch this sooner"

The way I see it, I have 2 different avenues to explore

1. Fight amateur an another state - Does anyone know if my eligibility is screwed elsewhere also?
    2. Fight Pro - I do like the safety of the TX amateur rules (Pancrase). Does anyone know of a pro circut with these rules?

Thank you all

Love and Respect!!

Oh yeh, and Kimbo did have a neat jab catch with his left hand (catching Gannon's southpaw jab)

And while Gannon's boxing didn't appear overtly technical, his tie ups, strikes from the clinch, use of angles and his generalmanship were amazing. IMO Gannon demostrated that he is a very experienced fighter.

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 11:21am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn.

BTW, how is the TBC in general with regards to NHB/MMA? I hear they're really protective of Boxing.

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    how is the TBC in general with regards to NHB/MMA? I hear they're really protective of Boxing.
    Thanks for posting bro, I was gett'n lonely.

As for TBC and MMA, Here is what I know:

The scene is hamstrung because of the open hand (pancrase) rules. This keeps the big shows out of TX. The irony is that I believe that this brand of MMA competition (which I call UFC lite)is actually more accessable to the general public. But there are only 2 amateur event promoters and no pro event promoters in the 2nd most populated state/TX. And after investigating I found out why. It is f**king expensive. Not just because of tangibles/hardware, but stuff like $500 fight fee, or in the case of a pro event 7 boxing commision officials at $250 a pop. Steve Armstrong told me that it is approx. $15 000 more to promote a pro show!

I don't know jack about the commision. I do know that it is really hard to promote MMA in TX. I guess it is all relative though and I don't have any basis for comparison.

Respect.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, all I can say is that f-en blows. I would be super bummed and pissed if this happened to me! How long have you been preparing for this fight?
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Red Elvis,

I stay in shape to fight

In fact I had just fought 2 weeks prior

Steve Armstrong pointed this out to the commision and the commision rep said he was on vacation when that promoter (Saul Solis, also a cool fellow) faxed in his event info and that my participation in the last 2 Renegades events was an oversight.

Respect.

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 1:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Red Elvis, your avatar and name remind me of the movie, 6 String Samurai.

Cool.