Sponsored Links Spacer Image

***ned

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I have also worked at a movie theatre. The only reason I stayed is because the people are cool and the job allows for mucho slacking. =)

~
    delirious

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial Artist: He was way above me. Way above. He spars regularly with a variety of partners, some of which (i.e. Jon) are pretty damn big. I was pretty much fucked from the word go.

Today at work I was reviewing the fight in my head, and I reached a couple conclusions. First, my footwork sucked and was one of the main contributing factors to my loss. Secondly, I was way too timid. This was mainly due to the fact that I knew he was being kind enough to hold back on me, and while I was determined to land at least one good shot, I knew if I became launching an all-out assault he'd do the same to me. Third, I was happy to see that all the principles I learned in karate could be applied in real-life. It was comforting that there was no moment where I suddenly realized that "Oh my God, this is absolutely nothing like class!" I mean, no, it wasn't like class, but speed and fear were the two main differences. Other than that, no nasty surprises. If anything, I'm motivated to practice harder now.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nah, Boyd, guys like me never fight strangers unless attacked. One can get hurt, you know. Sometimes I spar with friends, but outside friends and the dojo I would be scared-****! I've had by ribs cracked and separated and so forth in friendly sparring in the dojo. A stranger mite hurt me real bad.

Ishhin-Ryu has a good rep, though who knows what any one school does.

Why did you go for only low kicks, though? As a karateka it may have given you an advantage to kick higher-a heel to the ribs or my current fave, back/side spin might have got thru his arms.

Is your dojo so small that there's no one who wants to do extra sparring? After class I often ask one of the bbs to spar if I feel I didn't get the workout I need. Often a sempei or other dedicated type karatekas are more than happy to get as rough (or for that matter, as easy going) as you would like. Bbs like me and a thousand others really dig it when a student wants to practice.

In my case I'm not concerned with learning to fight. I spar to keep my skills up and learn to adapt new techniques. (even young hot bbs get the hell out of the way of my high side kicks-oh I hear the grapling dudes saying shoot low and take you down fast-sorry, but many years ago kempo taught me not to telegraph and how to fake) To address your concerns I agree with ma, train hard. And I would add, keep training hard over a period of many years with good hearted tough teachers that will encourage you and teach you all kinds of techniques-as I have lived in different states and countries, and gone to various schools from basement room dojos to schools with a dozen or more instructors, fighting skills were certainly acquired, but just as important have been the people I've got to know.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 11:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial Artist: He was way above me. Way above. He spars regularly with a variety of partners, some of which (i.e. Jon) are pretty damn big. I was pretty much fucked from the word go.

Today at work I was reviewing the fight in my head, and I reached a couple conclusions. First, my footwork sucked and was one of the main contributing factors to my loss. Secondly, I was way too timid. This was mainly due to the fact that I knew he was being kind enough to hold back on me, and while I was determined to land at least one good shot, I knew if I became launching an all-out assault he'd do the same to me. Third, I was happy to see that all the principles I learned in karate could be applied in real-life. It was comforting that there was no moment where I suddenly realized that "Oh my God, this is absolutely nothing like class!" I mean, no, it wasn't like class, but speed and fear were the two main differences. Other than that, no nasty surprises. If anything, I'm motivated to practice harder now.

At least you have the heart to push on.

Well, he was experienced, so what. He sparred someone way younger and it made him feel good, let him have his moment. In a couple of years, then it'll be even.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And from my understanding, it wasn't a real fight, but rather something like an exhibition competition, am I right Boyd? Otherwise, what's the point of having a breather/intermission if it wasn't a street fight or anything.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/03/2003 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA: Yeah, it was pretty much just for the hell of it. I didn't know him and he didn't know me.

Pat: Isshin-Ryu doesn't condone high kicks. They may exist somewhere in the system, but I think it's somewhere past black belt level. I taught myself how to do high roundhouses, forward snaps and side thrusts, and they're pretty, but I wouldn't use them in a fight.

Is your dojo so small that there's no one who wants to do extra sparring? After class I often ask one of the bbs to spar if I feel I didn't get the workout I need.
    My dojo is about as bargain-basement as they come. We rent out a dance hall twice a week at an old folks' center, which means no mats, no bags, no makiwara. All we have is a big room, three mirrors, and each other. Sensei's been trying to get some sort of business off the ground which, he says, will net him enough money to build us a real dojo. Until then, it's just twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. The instruction is great, and really the only thing keeping me there since we have NO SPARRING. I guess we used to do it every Thursday back when we were semi-McDojo, but once Sensei met his Sensei, he kicked himself down to white belt and began relearning everything. Once they began applying the concepts properly, people began getting seriously hurt. Since my teacher's now 100% against point sparring or any pulling of punches, we cut out sparring. I see his reasoning, but still have to disagree. If I had been sparring regularly for a year and a half, I would've had a fighting chance at that guy.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

***ned

Posted On:
    2/03/2003 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once they began applying the concepts properly, people began getting seriously hurt. Since my teacher's now 100% against point sparring or any pulling of punches, we cut out sparring. I see his reasoning, but still have to disagree.
    Disagree with what? Not getting seriously injured and/or dying?

~
    delirious

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    2/03/2003 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eech that would suck...No sparing all off a sudden? That would be so awful.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2003 1:57am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Boyd, you took a pretty big risk going up against a guy you didn't know, as has been pointed out, but even though it's a bad idea I probably would have done the same thing in your place. Sounds like you learned quite a lot from it too.

Back to the sparring thing -- I'd really try and get some in. See if your instructor will even run through semi-controlled sparring with you. Anything helps, in my experience. I think you have to find a reasonable balance between the benefits of contact sparring, or any kind of riskier training, and the injuries that will result. But if you've got a couple of people that know the risks and agree to them, why not let 'em sign a release and go at it? (Easy for me to say, I don't have a dojo to get sued.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2003 12:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's pretty good boyd. plus you came hear and told us that you LOST. that's pretty good.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast