Posted On:
    2/02/2003 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a BULLSHIDO story.
    F*** off, JAMOKE.

And Boyd, yeah, you've got guts. I really doubt it's something that most people here do all the time. I've only had one mutual challenge outside of a competition or school, and I didn't fare any better than you (rather, a fair bit worse; I knew nothing in those days). I really hate to agree with Carbon, but working more on footwork will help you to get into range to attack the body, and counterattacks and parries will help create openings. Number one, though, is you have to commit your attack. If you are worrying too much about what's coming next you won't be attacking with conviction, and that will get you beat every time.

First, I'm gonna hit ya...then you're gonna fall
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had an impromptu boxing match with a colleague at work a few weeks ago. Gloves, and shots to the body only. He outweighed me by 45 pounds, and dominated me pretty well. Didn't really land anything, but I couldn't do much to him as I was too busy blocking/dodging. If we'd allowed headshots, he'd probably have killed me.
    Respect to Boyd for giving it a go. It sucks when you lose, and you know theres nothing you could have done about, but its a good learning experience.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who cares what the audience thinks.

You did well. You agreed to an organised fight with a stranger. That takes balls.

True, not the same as a street fight in which you may be risking your life, but takes guts all the same.

Most people wouldn't do that. Most people are lying if they say they would.

--------
    Master of Lay Ze Do
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 6:16pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FingerorMoon

Good point, would never get into a organised fight with a complete strange. IF I knew the person ok, but some one I can't atlest predict of what training they have or if they'll just whip out a knife or worse.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm...ok, I have to ask this...is this COMMON in the States or something? I can't even IMAGINE this happening in any area I know. Of course, I live in the suburbs...pretty damn boring here. LOL! I believe the story because Boyd's a pretty regular contributor here and seems a pretty stand-up guy.

I dunno...knowing it's not a fight in which someone's going to kill me, I think I'd accept the challenge. I'm just curious how you didn't capitalize on (what sounds like) a weight advantage?

Either way, much props to you Boyd. Just don't make scrapping a habit eh? :P

Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"I would never, in my life, wear black silk underwear" -Classic JCVD
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 7:14pm

Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in a place that has sport team hick mentality, weak suburbs yuppie types, crack heads and drunks, and a bunch of punks who think there a part of a "gang". Its a hybrid of hell for me.

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just train hard.

Getting past one's defenses? It sounds that the two of you were around the same skill level, one wasn't incredibly superior to the other. So if you keep on attacking, and attacking, his defense will sooner or later fail. The best defense is a great offense. Part of it is conditioning, keep attacking and the guy won't want to continue any more.

But in my experience, I try to use feints and LOTS of footwork going at different angles.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Replying to Carbon:

You said this:
    Well for one you say it was a boxing match yet you were throwing sidekicks?

Why throw sidekicks I know you think they look cool and everything but they aren't necessary, you don't need to be attacking his knees in a friendly match.

Just throw to his thighs or lower shins some roundhouses if thats what you are trying to do. Also I don't care who you are, if you are covering up there is a way around it.
    In my original post, I said this:
    We established the ground rules: no face, kidney, or groin shots, kicks to the shin and thigh only.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo-Kid: Ishhin-Ryu Karate.

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

***ned

Posted On:
    2/02/2003 10:08pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why grappling is better than striking. HELLLOOOO!

<troll troll trollllllll>

~
    delirious
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast