The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 8:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

On tai-gip, the rev, and dominance jujutsu

I'll keep this short. Even though the rev doesn't really post here, I just thought I'd drop a small post to outline my experience at his club.

Since I was down at Melbourne for a small holiday, I though I'd drop in and see the rev and hopefully tai-gip. Unfortunately, tai-gip wasn't keen on meeting at Dominance jujutsu to have a play around.

Either way I went to Dominance jujutsu on the rev's invitation to have a look around. Since my experience with MMA has been limited to only a small club in Adelaide, I thought it would be interesting to compare the two.

To keep things short and simple, I'd have no problems training with Dominance jujutsu. Though I am a n00b, and probably more easily impressed than other people, I found the instruction by the rev straightforward and excellent. The class did a short warmup, a few quick drills from guard on armbars and kimuras, then moved onto doing a few leglocks.

Since my experience with leglocks has been extremely limited the past, and I had limited success, I was really happy at picking up the information there. Much thanks to rev, I think I might actually have a chance to pull them off while rolling against fellow n00bs back home. :)

After that, a little light sparring from guard [read: watch the stupid n00b get triangled repeatedly while trying to pass guard :mad:] ,and the class was over.

Tai-gip, if you're reading this, you missed a good fun lesson. ;)

Happily the tai gip vs the rev issue at least seems to have blown over.

Thanks to all at Dominance that gave me pointers and rolled with me. Also special thanks to the rev for his instruction, and to the guy who caught me in what I think was a neck/spine crank of some kind and didn't snap me in half. :)

BTW, I am typing from an internet cafe and won't be home for another 3 days, so if there are any comments or questions, they'll have to wait for a while.

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, you should have said hello to me and told me you were from this forum. I thought I heard you say you were from some "Boston" forum. I'm training tonight and Saturday so if you're around come and say hello.

The guy that got you in the "spine lock thing" was probably Dan, a blue belt who is getting great at Eddie Bravo's Twister.

BTW, I'm glad you enjoyed the training. It's a great club, and with four brown belts and now two black belts, probably the most top-heavy club in Australia.
    Last edited by JohnnyS; 11/18/2004 9:29pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 7:06am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah Zeddy, you big tease. I was expecting a report on a tai-gip vs the rev, no-touch, bmx fu, death match. Oh well, sounds like you had fun anway.

Jonny

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: MuayThai,Igo Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOod stuff zed.....sounds like you had a good time.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 6:52am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Hey, you should have said hello to me and told me you were from this forum. I thought I heard you say you were from some "Boston" forum. I'm training tonight and Saturday so if you're around come and say hello.

The guy that got you in the "spine lock thing" was probably Dan, a blue belt who is getting great at Eddie Bravo's Twister.

BTW, I'm glad you enjoyed the training. It's a great club, and with four brown belts and now two black belts, probably the most top-heavy club in Australia.
    Sorry, which one were you? I thought you trained at St Kilda with Peter de Been? O_o

Sorry, I just got home. After posting that message, I didn't have net access until now, else I might have taken up on your offer. :)

Bah Zeddy, you big tease. I was expecting a report on a tai-gip vs the rev, no-touch, bmx fu, death match. Oh well, sounds like you had fun anway. Jonny
    Unfortunately tai-gip didn't really seem to want to meet to do any sparring. He did offer to meet in a neutral situation eg over a drink or something I think, but with last minute preparations for my trip I forgot to arrange things. :(

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was the black belt. There were two of us, Big Dave (the huge black belt), and myself.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 4:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were the instructor? I thought Dave was the brown complaining about new rule regarding pulling guard?

Though I would welcome the chance to be tied up into a pretzel again, unfortunately I'm back in Adelaide. :(

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 7:19am

supporting member
     Style: MuayThai,Igo Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahahahahah adelaide:P

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 6:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's two Dave's. Big Dave, the huge black belt that was instructing, and Little Dave, the normal sized brown belt who is one of the owners of the club. I instruct on Monday nights and Big Dave on Wednesday nights.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 7:15am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I guess I missed you. :(

Next time maybe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast