Posted On:
    11/18/2004 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weighted Aerobics and weight training

Hey guys,

My dad just started some sort of weigthed aerobics training (place calls it circut training. Does some light weight cardio exercises at high intensity for 45 seconds, takes 15 seconds off, does a different exercise with different muscle groups for 45 seconds, repeat for 30 minutes), and told me that along with this he'd like to do some weight training. He asked me what kind of program would be good for this, and I was kinda stumped. My main concern is if the weighted aerobics training would be too much of a strain, and weight trainnig would be overtraining, or if it's really not a concern, and that he could do weight training independtly of his cardio program.

So, anyone with any experience about combining weights in aerobics along with a basic weight lifting program? Any advice?

And yes, I know I should get my dad into a real cardio and lifting program, but thank god the man is at least doing something =P
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 7:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is this weighted cardio crap?
    I hope ain't running around with weights or swinging them around wildly at top speed.

Split up the cardio and weight training to different days or different times of the day.
    Increasing strain will depend on how your paternal unit is faring.
    Obviously start slow weight wise, warm up a lot before weights.

Goals? Why not get a real weight training program?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 7:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's not running with weights. I pertty much described the program above. They get on a machine that offers a very light weight resistance and exercise for 45 seconds, rest 15, move onto a new machine, repeat for a half hour. I'm pretty much considering it like when chicks do aerobics with those dinkyass 1lb weights in their hands. Too light to be considered even endurance training.

He wants a real weight training program. That's why he asked me for one. I'm just wondering if I could just up and tell him a weight training program, or if I should be concerned about his cardio program still having an impact on his muscular development.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 7:59pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like circuit training which will help get him defined, slim him down and is good for his heart. He will get a little sronger but mostly I took one when I was in college and it worked out pretty well.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 8:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you do any weight training as well? If so, how did you coordinate it?
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 8:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took the class MWF a week for an hour. I didn't do any other lifting at the time but it did help me get ready to do body building type lifting later on becasue I was in better shape than previously starting the class. I heovere would'nt recoment doing both becaue your dad should be pretty sore with a lor of lactic acid build up. Its primarily cardio and toning as oppsoed to bulking so it might pose a problem. depending on what your dad needs I would have him get into a lifting routine and do his cardio for 20 to 30 minutes after lifting but you got to find out what he wants first.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 8:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, ideally I would tell him what you suggested (a real lifting and cardio program), but what he wants is lifting with this type of training, which is why I posted the question here.

He pretty much just wants to be fit. He isn't looking to be a bodybuilder or strongman: just to have some more lean muscle mass and feel good.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 8:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This will work for him I went form 201 to 177 during that time a semester being 5' 11.'' Plus he wont be as unflexible if he was lifting heavy. The only problem with this is that it gets boring quick.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 12:07am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me started. I've posted my opinions on circuit training, especially when the goals are solely strength or cardio.

A circuit done in that fashion is better than NOTHING, but it's far from optimal. I could create a circuit that's better for both strength AND cardio.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 2:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah yeah, when my dad was telling me about it, I was just kinda holding in all of my comments, but like I said, I'm just happy he's doing something.

But TaeBo, since you seem to be in the know, do ya know of any way to incldue weight training in this, or is it simply a lost hope?
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast