Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 1:50pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Psychology.

How do you people feel about the profession of psychology in general? Do you think that there's some aspects that are more "common-sensical" than others? Do you even subscribe to the idea of mental diseases and disorders?

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really wonder about the limits of psychology as more and more disorders are associated with physical/chemical causes.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I really wonder about the limits of psychology as more and more disorders are associated with physical/chemical causes.
    Well, interestingly enough, there are two competing theories on schizophrenia, for example.

The predominant theory is that people have an oversensitivity to or an overabundance of dopamine in the brain.

The other theory is that in a family, an individual is repeatedly subjected to conflicting messages. For example, a child is repeatedly told "You should enjoy practicing piano on your own." It's called double-binding. If your child practices, they're not doing it on their own since you told them about it. If they don't practice, they don't live up to the obligation.

Another example is a mother who gives soothing verbal messages of love and support, but never offers physical forms of love. They never hug their kids, etc. This is a huge mindfuck, and the schisms between these behaviors has been correlated with schizophrenic behaviors.

But in general, while physical/chemical causes are associated with disorders, features such as physical attraction, altruistic attitudes, and such generally cannot be fully accounted for with science.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    psychology isnt just listening to someone lie on a bed and tell you about what they dream about. psychology covers a huge range of things, from sport psychology (the guy who amps players up for a game, who helps stressed players to unwind and play better) to animal psychologists (people who train animals for adverts, as well as those who diagnose problems with the family pooch) and management psych (the guy who decides who stays and who goes in a company... the real popular guys ;))

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't think the two theories are reconciliable? Perhaps such a conflicted childhood somehow damages the dopamine receptors in the brain.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:18pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to think that I m a realist...most of what modern people except as mental illness is usually mental weakness. That being said, between 1998-2003 I worked in group homes for the mentally ill and mentally handicapped, as well as a crisis intervention program for children and teens with mental/behavioral issues, and some of the people I worked with had legitimate brain-chemistry issues. Many were just punks who needed a boot in the ass to snap out of it, but a very real percentage of that particular population had issues that could only be controlled with medication.

I have slapped a bergeron belt on a 300 lb man who thought the best way to get seconds on dinner was to try to eat his brother. This is not the behavior of an indidvidual with normal brain chemistry.

On the other hand, I received crisis calls from mothers who thought their son was "out of control," when all the kid really needed was some discipline. But it is easier to prescribe ritalin than parent a child, so she had the state come in and pay for his meds, my services,and a host of therapists.

Psychology has eally gone astray from it's roots. It used to be about understanding problems and improving mental health. Now it seems to be about labeling victims, selling bullshit, and political correctness.

Give me a good psychiatrist and 15 mgs of Haldol any day.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The psychoanalytic tradition has done seemingly irreparable damage to the image of psychology.

But the bottom line is that human behavior is not entirely attributable to physical determinants.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar
    You don't think the two theories are reconciliable? Perhaps such a conflicted childhood somehow damages the dopamine receptors in the brain.
    There is definite possibility. I haven't delved into abnormal psychology very deeply. We already know that a person's neurochemical reactions can be affected by external factors. For example, people who live near an airport may initially become very disturbed by the constant overflights, but then consequently not have as strong of a reaction to it. It's called "habituation", and the neurons themselves simply don't activate as much as they did prior to getting used to things.

Scrapper, that's a very interesting (and mostly accurate) take on the profession as I see it. I'm looking to be a Health Psychologist, dealing with the interplay between body and mind, and I'm looking to deal with eating disorders and promoting healthy lifestyles.

I'm happy to say that I have been responsible for two women getting involved in exercise. One in Wado-Ryu Karate, the other just in a fitness center. They both thank me repeatedly for convincing them and kicking them (figuratively) in the ass to get going to those places. The karate girl went from soft and pokey to a fucking hardbody in a year. I'm glad I was able to affect their lives in such a positive way.

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    The psychoanalytic tradition has done seemingly irreparable damage to the image of psychology.

But the bottom line is that human behavior is not entirely attributable to physical determinants.
    I saw this after I posted.

Psychology basically proceeded like this (VERY ROUGH SKETCH):

Science - Psychodynamic - Cognitive/Humanism - Behavioral - Emerging return to scientific. The fact is, the father of modern psychology (Freud) was a psychodynamic theorist. However, there has been a significant deviation from this tradition, especially de-emphasizing the role of sex and instinctual drives.

For example, in the wake of WWII, people wondered how the Germans could have done the awful things they did. Milgram comes along with his obedience study and BAM! 63% of everyday American men are giving a "learner" electrical shocks that would cause severe pain or death.

Very scary. o_o

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 2:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sure psychology helps some people.
    I think too many times, psychologists generalise way too much.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast