Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 5:42am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my .02, in addition to what has been said, is that standing joint locks are generally applicable AFTER you have a) position, and b) disbalancement.

Essentially, they are to *secure* control, not take it.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a feeling I'm going to get Asia and ronin pimp-slapping me for this...

Think about the original intent of JJJ techniques. It originated mainly for breaks. Techniques that would quickly neutralize a larger, better armed, better armored opponent and render them unable to continue the fight. (Whether this was on the battlefield or in close quarters combat). The locks came up more from the policing side of the Japanese culture, and I think you'll find if you do a bit of research there's information referencing weapons such as variations on the Sai, which apparently were favored by law enforcement. ("Secrets of the Samurai" - Ratti and Westbrook is one such reference. Very little about the Samurai per se and very much about Japanese martial culture in general)

Spunky makes an excellent point as well...most of the come-alongs I learned were to secure an opponent and control their balance and strength. I had to get them there first.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ yes I agree, I thought unbalancing was a gimme, guess it's not

specifically with the case of Aikido, CT, I agree with the breaking conclusion. Most of the throws/locks I've learned in Aikido could be done in a way that would break a limb or cause death if they would be done in a certain way, also the techniques themselves have weapons in mind -- but I guess in my case we learn to do them the "nice" way so we don't kill our opponent
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 2:45pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the case of aikido, though, TNK, isn't wounding or killing your opponent inconsistent with the overriding philosophy?

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 3:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, which gives it that complicated dichotomy of a library of techniques that were originally meant for sword-wielding death dealers while at the same time having a philosophy of love your enemy and make the world a better place.

still don't totally understand it myself, but for the sake of technique, there are usually more than one way of performing a technique -- the nice way and the mean way
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 3:11pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTiger
    I think you'll find if you do a bit of research there's information referencing weapons such as variations on the Sai, which apparently were favored by law enforcement.
    It is called a jutte or jitte (meaning 10 hands)

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 3:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of and seen that thing before but I have no idea how it is used.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 7:07pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have jutte-jutsu from Kukishinden ryu and Takagi Yoshin ryu. I haven't played with it much myself yet, but I know there is some fun stuff there for it. The hook is used to trap blades, fingers, even clothing like a gi lapel, the tips/corners can be used to attack weak points, and it can be used to choke or as a lever in large joint locks and pins. Things like small joint manipulation and kyusho strikes which are usually rather iffy endeavors make more sense when you are performing them with a tool like this.

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 1:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought you died hannibal.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 2:04am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    There's a Buddhist parable about a blind guy who's over at a friend's house--playing X-box or some **** like that--and who decides to head home late at night. His friend gives him a lantern to take with him, explaining that, "Hey, you might not need to light up the path, but this will help other people to see you." So the guy takes up the lantern and trails off into the night. A short time later, he's bumped off of the road by another guy. "You idiot," he yells, "didn't you see the light?" "Uh dude," the guy replies, "The light is out."
    Hannibal, I posted this on a thread about the most tedious poster here on Bullshido. Would you like to wager a guess as to who I was talking about there?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123