Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 7:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am concerned on how what you said above relates to MA in particular.
    MA is NOT just a cardio workout, as you well know, it is ALSO anerobic, especially the bag work.
    If I do a ST on Monday, and then on Tuesday, do a typicla 1 pour or 1.5 hour kickboxing class that has not only cardio work, but "explosive anerobic work" like pounding the bag like Tyson, not like Chris Byrd ( that pillow fisted *****), that WILL effect my muscles, no?

And what of the stress on the CNS ? while Monday could be ST and Tuesday is MA day, "everyday is a kidney" as the say goings, how does a constant workout pahse of putting your body through intense workouts for 5 days straight, effect your rest and recovery cycle ?

Something has to give.
    The strongest guys to very little cardio work.
    Distance runner do very little "powerlifting".

Know what I mean?

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 8:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** man...wht the hell am I supposed to do?

I think I am doing ok as I have managed to put on about 8kg this year and I still wear the same size pants. But I am bothered by the little pudge of fat on my belly. It seems like about the same size as 3 years ago regardless of the fact that I have gained nearly 15lbs. But I get conflicted because every time I think about running I realize that 1 night of running laps around the soccer field equals 1 night less of training Baji.

My weight gain basically started when I started doing squats but I sure as hell would like to figure out a way to get the 6-pack without losing weight or giving up my Baji workouts.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    However, cardio and weight lifting work in different energy pathways.
    Stress response. Read about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 10:04am

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience it takes intense and heavy weight traing to gain mass.
    After a proper leg workout it will be next to impossible to have a decent MT workout for atleast 3 days. I am talking about a MT workout not "cardio" which could be a tresdmill and is nowhere near as stressfull as a MT workout.

" My weight gain basically started when I started doing squats but I sure as hell would like to figure out a way to get the 6-pack without losing weight or giving up my Baji workouts"

Getting a six pack is atleast 80% diet.

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 4:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lurkness - That would be 'progressive resistance' :)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    My weight gain basically started when I started doing squats but I sure as hell would like to figure out a way to get the 6-pack without losing weight or giving up my Baji workouts.
    Eat maintainence cals, while still doing the same exercise and weights.
    Your strength will not grow as much, but your BF% will decrease.

www.fitday.com
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 12:13am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin - I addressed the relationship of cardio and ST because in the original post, he was worried about the "insane cardio" needed for MT. He didn't say "will the insane plyometric-type activities in MT affect my recovery cycle?"

Also. The phrase "Every day is kidney day" is slightly true, but has some very false implications. The first place I came across this was in a Little & Sisco book. They said that because of the kidneys needing to get rid of toxins, you have to continually increase your rest period, to as much as 2 or 3 weeks between workouts. Well, my father happens to be a nephrologist (kidney doctor, for you numbnuts), and we happened to get into a conversation regarding the levels of myoglobin in an atrophying patient of his. For the record, myoglobin is the toxin released by your muscles when they break down, the same toxin Peter & Sisco were referring to. I asked him about the levels of myoglobin released by even the most intense workouts. I mentioned the P&S book, and their claim about needing 2 or 3 weeks rest for really intense exercise. His response was that a healthy kidney can remove the myoglobin produced by a really intense workout in much less than 24 hours. A 2-3 week claim was ludicrous.

And I never meant to imply that doing other forms of exercise would not inhibit your recovery AT ALL, however the effect is less than you'd think.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 2:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    Ronin - I addressed the relationship of cardio and ST because in the original post, he was worried about the "insane cardio" needed for MT. He didn't say "will the insane plyometric-type activities in MT affect my recovery cycle?"

Also. The phrase "Every day is kidney day" is slightly true, but has some very false implications. The first place I came across this was in a Little & Sisco book. They said that because of the kidneys needing to get rid of toxins, you have to continually increase your rest period, to as much as 2 or 3 weeks between workouts. Well, my father happens to be a nephrologist (kidney doctor, for you numbnuts), and we happened to get into a conversation regarding the levels of myoglobin in an atrophying patient of his. For the record, myoglobin is the toxin released by your muscles when they break down, the same toxin Peter & Sisco were referring to. I asked him about the levels of myoglobin released by even the most intense workouts. I mentioned the P&S book, and their claim about needing 2 or 3 weeks rest for really intense exercise. His response was that a healthy kidney can remove the myoglobin produced by a really intense workout in much less than 24 hours. A 2-3 week claim was ludicrous.

And I never meant to imply that doing other forms of exercise would not inhibit your recovery AT ALL, however the effect is less than you'd think.

Interesting, I just used that "kidney day" thing as an example, I think I read in Mentzer's book, not the one you mentioned...
    Anyways, while I think 2-3 weeks recovery from a single workout seems ridiculous, exercise stress IS cumulative, so I think that working out 5-6 days a week well result in burnout quicker rather than later, it always has for me.
    While periodization was created for cycling steroids, it still is useful in helping us realise that some sort of difference in intensity is needed when working on a regular basis with minimal rest periods.

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Periodization is good for a couple things. First off, periodization is good for changing goals. For example, going from fat loss to muscle gain. These two are really hard to do together, you set up a mesocycle for fat loss, and then one for muscle gain, it's pretty simple.

Periodization is also good for sports training. When you're far away from competition, you work a lot of overall strength and endurance, to build your foundation. Then as you approach competition, you taper down and focus a lot on sports specific skills.

Where periodization is misunderstood is when it comes to plateaus. Plateaus occur either because of overtraining or because (more often) a physiological adaptation. When it's the latter, putting in a period of low activity isn't going to overcome your plateau. You need to give your body a strees it's NOT adapted to. There are approximately one kajillion ways to do this.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 2:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is where we come to the "core" of many debates about over training.
    IF I am training 6 days a week ( the typical 3 on, 1 off, 3 on) and I hit a plateu, how is training MORE gonna help? how CAN I train even more?

Most non-enhancers, can go about 6 sometimes 8 weeks of constant training with MIN rest until they burnout/plateu/get a life.
    See, thing is, doing 3 sessions of MA for 1.5 hours each for a total of 4.5 hours, + 3 sessions of ST for one hour each for a total of 3 hours is ONLY 7.5 hours of working out , in a whole week, and that seems so little, untill you realise that in 1 hour of ST, for example a person can end up lifting a total of 16,000 lbs and that in a single session of MA, a person can go to the "wall" and back at least a few times.

All that adds up.

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll take note of the fact that I did include overtraining in my list of reasons for a plateau. If you're ST 6 days a week, You're begging to overtrain at some point.

But my point remains that busting a plateau usually has nothing to do with the time spent working out, whether increasing or decreasing. But changing HOW you work out.

Say you do barbell bench press as your chest exercise every chest day. You get real strong, but eventually you can't increase, no matter what you do. Then you switch to doing alternate arm DB presses, and you start increasing strength in those. After a while, you go back to barbell bench press. While you've gotten stronger at DB presses, you notice your barbell strength is the same it used to be. But after a couple weeks, you're getting stronger again.

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast