Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 2:44am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still can't believe that even though I live in a fairly popular place (Seattle area), I can't find any really good schools. I'm bombarded by constant TKD and Karate, a bit of Aikido, and some Kung Fu.

I JUST want a MMA school that teaches me to be a well-rounded fighter, OR a good Muay Thai school. Is that so hard to ask for?

PL

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRK85
    Damn those are a lot of ma schools. It must be MA heaven. And do these Karate schools really in a school cafeteria?
    Advanced Kempo-Karate System
    Aiea Elementary School Cafeteria
    Yes they do. The Universal Kempo Karate school that I joined meets in the Kailua Int. School cafeteria - after class we just move the tables back. Lots of low rent, low cost mas meeting in rented rooms in schools and rec centers. Lot of people aren't into the money aspect very much, just love mas, it's much more part of the multi ethnic culture - it's common to see teens doing stick in backyards and so forth. Not to deny that BJJ has done real well there. And check out the card for the Rumble on the Rock I posted in the tourney section - two Gracies and lots of good fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by antman
    Thanks for showing me all the reasons not to start a fight if I go to Hawaii.
    No kidding. Besides easy to annoy tough locals, there are plenty of people who know mas. Like my two friends in high school who got into something driving. There were two of them and one was a tall jock, so they pulled over. Before they could get out of their car the other guy jumped out of his car and did a flying side kick into their vehicle and started dancing like a boxer yelling, "Come on you mother fuckers, lets go!" They went, quickly, away.

Once I started doing Wado-Ryu I realized that there were lots of mild looking 5'8" guys who when they put on their black belts who turned into stone faced fierce demons smashing makiwara boards (and me) with ease. I think the little Japanese guys get a special thrill when a big dumb n00b tries to hit them. Oh Boy! I get to throw this idiot onto his head! :biggrin:
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/19/2004 10:49am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Too sick and broken to train

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    I still can't believe that even though I live in a fairly popular place (Seattle area), I can't find any really good schools. I'm bombarded by constant TKD and Karate, a bit of Aikido, and some Kung Fu.

I JUST want a MMA school that teaches me to be a well-rounded fighter, OR a good Muay Thai school. Is that so hard to ask for?

PL
    Tell me about it, but I live in the dingweeds that most people around here don't even know exist. :D

There's actually a really good BJJ place with two locations in Seattle and Puyallup. Too damn far for me to commute, though, but PM me if you want the link.

Hey, Pat, I'm going to Maui in a couple months. Want to find me a place to visit while I'm there? :icon_mrgr
    You're just JEALOUS!

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    11/19/2004 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a good Muay Thai guy that leads a Dog Brothers training group on Maui. His contact info:

Daniel Andersson
    Maui, Hawaii
    808-572-6975
    808-264-1298
    Email: mrravethewave@hotmail.com

I've never actually trained with him, but Dogzilla has and speaks well of his MT abilities.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 12:15am

supporting member
     Style: Hsing-I, Taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've asked the bruddahs to take Sexton's Hapkido off their website so don't be calling me. I'm a student again; It's more fun! And yes, I'm a white boy in Waianae! Some of the best teachers are not listed on that site and are teaching in parks. Took me 2 years to find a good Hsing-I guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 1:20am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops

PL
    Someone once told me that he did a little stint with Maurice Smith while living in Seattle. Did Maurice move, or an I remembering this story incorrectly?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 4:49pm

Style: TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go over to Bellevue and check out AMC if you're looking for MMA stuff, it's Maurice's gym.. There's also a guy that has what appears to be a decent MMA gym in downtown Everett. Other stuff around Seattle if you look a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 5:01pm

Style: baguazhang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get one shaolin / pencak silat class at UH Manoa?

unreal...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12