Sponsored Links Spacer Image

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 5:53am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Holyfield 0wn3d, stripped of boxing license.

From Yahoo! Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

Former champ Holyfield loses again; Rahman wins via TKO

November 13, 2004

By David Gonzalez SportsTicker Contributing Writer

NEW YORK (Ticker) - Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield's career may have ended in the arena where it started.

The 42-year-old Holyfield, who looked slow and nothing like the warrior who helped carry the division over the last 15 years, was beaten easily in lackluster 12-round effort against unheralded Larry Donald at Madison Square Garden.

Almost 20 years to the day he made his professional debut here after winning a bronze medal at the 1984 Olympics, Holyfield (38-8-2) was unable to get anything going as Donald controlled most of the action.

"It was a tought fight," Holyfield said. "I did my best. I bit off more than I can chew. Larry's style is difficult. I might have had the wrong fight at the wrong time. In life you have setbacks."

Holyfield, who has waged war with the biggest names in the division, had little snap and power in his punches. He did have a moment in the 10th, but his quest to capture a share of the heavyweight crown may have come to an end.

"I have never given up on anything," Holyfield said. "If I have a change in the heart, I could change my mind. I still believe I could rise to the occasion."

A 1992 Olympian, the 37-year-old Donald (42-3-2) won 119-109, 119-109 and 118-108.

"Evander is a great champion," Donald said. "I did what I had to do to win. I didn't look at him as being too old."

Donald landed 40 percent (260-of-643) of his punches and nearly half of his power 333 power blows. Holyfield, who landed just 78 punches throughout the fight, fell to 2-5-2 in his last nine fights.

"I thought I hurt him a few times," Holyfield said. "I just did not get off enough. He was a quick guy with good movement."

Another former titleholder, Hasim Rahman, faced little resistance and overwhelmed Kali Meehan of Australia en route to a fourth-round stoppage.

Rahman (40-5-1, 33 KOs) took the fight to Meehan from the opening bell, piecing together one of his best performances of his career. In the fourth round, he battered the larger Meehan (29-3), who had the fight halted by his corner at the end of the round.

Rahman, who held the title for seven months when he knocked out Lennox Lewis, now is the top rated challenger for all three spots in the heavyweight crown.

"I was focused, I am read to fight one of the champions tonight," Rahman said. "Who brings the most money, makes the most sense. I am in the best position in boxing."

Also on the undercard, 39-year-old former champ Oliver McCall lost a 10-round unanimous decision over fringe contender DaVarryl Williamson.

The highly competitive fight left both fighters battered and bruised, but it was Williamson (21-3) earning the unanimous decision. Two judges had it 9694 with the third scoring it 97-94.

"I absolutely did enough to win," Williamson said. "McCall was tough as night. His strategy seemed to walk me down and I was sticking and moving all the way. In the end, I think I scored the most telling blows."

McCall, who once held a share of the heavyweight title following a stunning upset of then-champion Lennox Lewis in September 1994, fell to 41-8.

"I felt rusty tonight," said McCall, who fought for just the fourth time in three years. "I was aggressive and that was part of my plan. I didn't spar like I want to. I just didn't execute, but I am not making any excuses."
    This article is partly funny, partly sad. I sometimes feel sorry for pro athletes who stay in the game way past their prime, but I feel okay after they retire to their mansions.

They talk about Holyfield's slow reactions, I wonder if this is a precursor to Parkinson's or something similar.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 6:25am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he needs to quit. he isnt hoost- when you start losing to nobodies, its time to pack it in.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where does it say he was stripped of his license?

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't far as I can tell...Ka-Bar?
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

aahhh...the colors

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The New York State Boxing Commission won't let him fight there anymore. Heard it on the radio this morning.
    Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that kickboxing is commonly known as fighting while grappling simply isn't. - Osiris

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sad really.
    Boxers are the ONE athelets that should NEVER hang in there past their "prime".
    Holyfield's speach is so slurred as it is, anymore brain damage and who knows what can happen to him.
    Boxers are fighters and they NEED people to look after them, and not let them fight beyond their capacity.
    The rules MUST be enforced.

This was a good call.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTiger
    It doesn't far as I can tell...Ka-Bar?
    Sorry, that particular article doesn't say it, I guess. I must've read it in CNN's article or something. Apologies, but it's true at least!

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here
    Monday, November 15, 2004

NYSAC chairman: 'It's time the bleeding stopped'

ESPN.com news services

Even though he was dominated by Larry Donald on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden, former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield said he planned to keep boxing.

He won't be fighting again in the near future, if at all, if the New York State Athletic Commission has its way, however.

The NYSAC placed the 42-year-old Holyfield on indefinite medical suspension following his poor performance, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Since all other state commissions will honor New York's suspension, Holyfield has to be cleared by Dr. Barry Jordan of the commission before he can fight anywhere else in the United States.

"I'm not looking to end his career if it's not warranted, but the health and safety of the boxer is the main concern of the state commission," NYSAC chairman Ron Stevens told the newspaper. "To my practiced mind, Holyfield shouldn't be fighting anymore. It's the responsibility of the state athletic commission to save a boxer from himself. Evander Holyfield has absorbed enough punishment throughout his great career. It's time the bleeding stopped.".....
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 8:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAlrdyNum
    The New York State Boxing Commission won't let him fight there anymore. Heard it on the radio this morning.
    THANK GOD. hopefully the rest of the nation will follow

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 9:59am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah what a terrible fight

got to give it to the man though, he is still in awesome shape

wow, i did not know they wont let him fight anymore . . .

i guess its to prevent things like what happen to most punchdrunk fighters, its for the best