Posted On:
    11/16/2004 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need advice on ankle injury...

Hello all,

I was working take downs in early September and my left ankle gave out an audible "pop" and quickly swelled.

I thought at first I had re-injured an old ligament injury but this felt different. It felt like the actual ankle joint moved and snapped back into place and it was very painful.

An X-Ray showed no fracture and I allowed it to heal for a few weeks. I then went back to class and it popped again during guard passing drills. So I let it heal for even longer, went back to class again and re-injured it.

Now I've been out of class almost three months because of this injury. I went to a sports doctor and he thinks the joint simply shifted and gave me a big rubber band with which to do exercises. He doesn't think anything else at this point will help but he's not quite sure what might have happened either.

So I'm going to list out my symptoms for analysis by the highly-qualified Bullshido medical staff hoping that someone else has had or seen this type of injury before. I'm looking for advice on getting this thing to heal so I can start training and competing again.

Symptoms:

- Painful when flexed inward at the joint.
    - Painful when impacted from jogging, walking down stairs or off of obstacles.

Again it's not in the ligaments but in the joint. I've been downing Glucosamine and using the band but I don't feel much improvement. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks...

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any swelling? Tender spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 11:21am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SOunds like you separated/relocated your ankle. Now the ligaments and tendons are stretched, and the the bones are slightly worn. You possibly shifted some cartilege as well (thhat would casue the pain while walking/jogging etc.) Basically, your ankle is now "separation-prone." I am not a doctor, but the same thing happened to my right shoulder. (Separated 5 times in two years) now it pops in and out fairly easily. You can have surgery to tighten the connective tissue, but if you tape/brace the **** out of your ankle during practice you might be ok. If you avoid separating it long enough, the tissues will eventually tighten up again. Depending on your age that can take a very long time tho.

The fact that your ankle is a load-bearing joint makes it more complicated than my shoulder. As long as I avoid juji-gatame and don't fall on it wrong I'm usuall OK. THat ankle thing sucks.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 12:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I'm hoping time will heal things up but I've been missing a lot of training and it's bugging me. I suppose I'm better off waiting than developing a chronic injury though. I'm going to go to class today and only work on guard attacks to keep weight off of the injury. I'm going to try taping the joint really solid today to see if that can help prevent a re-injury too.

Jekyll: No swelling, but the joint area is painful if twisted. The pain actually feels like it's deep in the joint.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 12:10pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    definately sounds like damaged cartilege. Tape it good.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 1:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope this helps: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...nklesprain.htm

Massage helps loosen scar tissue? No wonder my massage seems to give me more flexibility.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would consider going to see a physio for stability exercises.

What ever is wrong with your ankle, I would imagen that the muscels and tendons around the joint have been loosened making it much more unstable and more likely for you to stress the joint.

Oh and take it easy training, I did a similar thing to my knee and kept training lightly on it, then it gave way in class when someone caught one of my kicks and I fell dislocating my elbow. Hopefully I should be able to train again in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    11/17/2004 8:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys I'll check things out...

Too sick and broken to train

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 1:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My trademark can be found here, Aso Axis ankle brace. I've played a lot of years of soccer and the horsie game and had my fair share of ankle injuries. That brace holds a hell of a lot better than any taping job I've ever done/had done. Anywho, that's about all I know.
    You're just JEALOUS!

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    11/18/2004 5:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks awesome. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast