232752 Bullies, 3720 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Which open guard do you use the most?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Butterfly guard

21 48.84%
  • Spider guard

14 32.56%
  • De la Riva

1 2.33%
  • X-guard

2 4.65%
  • Other (describe below)

5 11.63%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    I thought Judo was heavily biased towards the open guard anyway? When I close my guard in our rules-liberal newaza sessions I get people trying the fuckin' scooping pass, although perhaps they feel safe doing it because they think they can just stand out of my triangle.
    maybe so, since in competition when action slows down, you get stood back up (ie being in closed guard for too long)

Is the scoop pass when you slide both arms out and stack and then pass to one side by holding onto the belt?
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm thinking of the "basic" Gracie pass where you slide an arm out and grab your own shin to stack. It's a free tap for any white belt with a clue.

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 6:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    never learned that one, glad I didn't, sounds kind of dumb
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I joined BJJ it was the only one I knew from my limited Judo experience and I must have been triangled at least ten times nightly because of it.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Brand. Those look a little advanced for me though. X-Guard also looks like it would get you killed by the guy's right hand if striking were allowed.
    There was a two-month period where my instructor went completely insane with the X-guard, getting so giddy over it he decided to show it to every one of his students. Since I was the most consistent student he had, I participated in over a dozen X-guard classes while he showed the "new" material off to other students. I can say now that I have COMPLETELY FUCKING MASTERED about a half-dozen sweeps from there, and I assure you that it's hardly that difficult once you're actually in it.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 12:58am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*

My one complaint about my JJJ training...the grappling wasn't as structured as it could have been...

I may submit and go to a BJJ school one day. BAH!
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Brand. Those look a little advanced for me though. X-Guard also looks like it would get you killed by the guy's right hand if striking were allowed.
    Its not a static guard. It creates a sweep instantly, depending on how your opponent reacts. I pull half-guard just to slip to x-guard now.

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 11:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted "other" because we just use normal open guard to set up subs and sweeps, like....

one foot on hip to set up arm bar
    or one leg high to set up triangle
    or hip heist sweep to set up ude garami

but.... in judo there aren't any ankle or leg locks, so we can get away with a lot of sloppy guard work just to keep the action going

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 3:54pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like the spider seems to work really good with my long legs.

question though ive recently seens in a carlson gracie book a guard called the "jello" but since i was in B&N i didnt get to really see what it was just saw the refrence alot.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 6:15pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aye, we are taught the open guard stuffs all the time, inter-mixed with our closed guard stuff.

I'm getting to the point now where my closed guard is good enough that I can lock it in and just stay there, basically stalling. Which is good 'cause I don't get passed and submitted, but it sure doesn't make for a very exciting eight minutes of rolling with that person. haha

I've been making a effort to open up my guard and try the new stuff, even if it puts me in a comprimising position, atleast that way I'm getting more comfortable with it.

*edit*

Spider guard is totally awesome btw, even if I totally suck at it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast