Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 12:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    ... Apparently this is a very popular movement over in Korea right now (why does the term Falung gong come to mind?)
    Maybe they are related to

TaeUIJu Healing Meditation (TaeUIJu, TaeUIJu healing, TaeUIJu meditation): Mode of meditation promoted by JeungSanDo, an organization founded in 1871 by "Supreme Lord" JeungSan SangJeNim, in Korea. Supposedly, TaeUIJu meditation is a process of returning to the magnanimous "bosom" of the original "Mother," and the first step to eternal life. The practice of TaeUIJu amounts to (a) sitting comfortably and (b) repeatedly, patiently chanting a "mantra" whose meaning is that one wants to return to the "Origin of the Universe." JeungSanDo defines "mantra" as "a set of words that contain concentrated energy of the universe." The aforementioned "Origin" purportedly can cure all mental and physical illnesses. Allegedly, the "original healing mantra," called "TaeUIJu," protects one from sudden accidents and helps to fight disease and to resolve conflicts. Apparently, the leading teacher of TaeUIJu meditation in the United States is Jaenam Kim, author of The Road to Awakening.
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...onary/mdt.html

And/or the Jeung San Do
    http://www.jeungsando.com/welcome/history.asp

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know that guy had a bunch of books in the office for sale but I didn't get a chance to see what they were about. If I can see how close the one is by my work, maybe I'll take a stroll to that office to see if they have that book. :)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you look deep into the roots of how it began, it was from breathing exercises brought over from Boddhirama.
    So legend tells it, however schools advocating breath control existed in china before the advent of budhism and it was comon practice to attribute works to legandary figures in order to give them more weight.

From there it developed into a series of movements that lead to Taichi.
    My understanding of it is whilest the chen school has noticable similarities to shaloin this may be due to the cannon punch form and long boxing also practiced in the village. The common techniques and movements are not present in the same way in other schools of tai chi.

Yada, yada, yada.

You might be right its just quite hard to tell what actually happened in that period of chinese history.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 6:29pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both popular stories of the creators of Tai Chi (Chen Wangting or Zhang Sanfeng) say that the creators were shaolin experts first. Chen Wangting was a general 400 or 500 years ago.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 7:07pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never heard chang san feng was ment to be a shaolin expert.

And I've never heard of Chen Wangting.

Oh well.

Consulting google for stories....

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Street

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I don't know if these places are springing up around your area, but recently in Chicago and its suburbs. So being the everloving Korean martial art leg humping nut rider that I am, I thought I would go in check out a class and ask some questions.

Here is the link their site. Apparently this is a very popular movement over in Korea right now (why does the term Falung gong come to mind?)

http://eng.dahnworld.com/eng/index.asp
    Great public service. I like this place already.

You know the newbie faq is mainly about what not to do and I understand the need for that - I've run boards and it's pain in the ass dealing with the same newbie problems time after time...

I know you've got the Frank Dux & Fakes in General FAQ but a simple "Red Flags at Dojos" faq might help too... or maybe not, you know us noobies, we already know everything. :)
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 7:29pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    I never heard chang san feng was ment to be a shaolin expert.

And I've never heard of Chen Wangting.

Oh well.

Consulting google for stories....

It's not that important anyway.

What IS important is that we don't derail this thread. I've seen those Yoga/Tai Chi places all over the place. There's a Dahn place near my apartment. I read one of their flyers in a restaurant and noticed that they refer to Tai Chi as a dance. Needless to say, I stopped reading the flyer. Real Tai Chi=/=Dance

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 3:57am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    korean tai chi thats like saying french kung fu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 4:46am

Style: Cmc Tai Ji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taichi itself was passed from India to China and even they do not claim 5000 year old lineage.
    http://eng.dahnworld.com/eng/index.asp
    Buddhism was passed from India to China, not TaiChi!! Taichi was from Taoism which is orginated from China!!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by momo
    Buddhism was passed from India to China, not TaiChi!! Taichi was from Taoism which is orginated from China!!
    Let me start by saying I am in no way a taichi expert or an authority on its roots. Though, I have studied some Yang Long Style, I can not say I am even close of being intermediate in skill. :) Now with that being said please take what I post with a grain of salt and know that this is mostly oral history that was passed down. Ok...enough blabbing.

It was my understanding that along with the passing of buddhism, Boddhirama saw that his followers were having problems with the exercises that he was teaching. Because of this he developed the 18 Forms of Lo Han. It was through these exercises that Taichi was born. Eventually Taichi found its way into other temples and other systems of Taichi started to spring up. I know this is very generic, but I have never done any extended research on this art as of yet.

What IS important is that we don't derail this thread. I've seen those Yoga/Tai Chi places all over the place. There's a Dahn place near my apartment. I read one of their flyers in a restaurant and noticed that they refer to Tai Chi as a dance. Needless to say, I stopped reading the flyer. Real Tai Chi=/=Dance
    This isn't really derailing from the subject so much as it is just proving that this school is either exagerating their history in order to impress Americans or they really don't know what the hell they are talking about.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast