11/15/2004 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Interesting thoughts...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69

In boxing, you put on the gear: head gear, gloves, mouth guard, cup and you go to town, hard but not full, contact must be made.

Is there any palce for light contact sparring?
    Yes, when I'm training with the low rank belts who weigh 100 pounds less than me.

Yes, when we are doing "rythm/dance" slow mo sparring where you are to keep in time with the music and have time to think about your reactions and techniques. I know it sounds dumb, and it's not exacly a Kyokushin technique, but I must admit that it gives one enough time to figure out what is going on. And gives me the time to learn just what Shihan is doing when he wrecks my balance with low kicks or palm heeling my hip or whatever it is he does that makes me wobble around and try to get back to balanced position (while he does combos on my defenseless off balance body).

We called it point respect when we went light in the old days - if some one pops you with a left jab (one of my favorite techniques :evil: ) you acknowledge by backing off with a nod or bow or lick a finger and mark the air or something, and if they don't give point respect then hit harder to remind them not to charge through a 'light punch.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly_Roger
    Nothing is more enlightening that to blast someone full-on, who thinks he's blocking you.
    I really see this in kicks. Light sparring gives such idiotic confidence in blocks when actuallly a powerful kick would blast right through.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 3:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to my data banks, I seem to agree with the first post

I dislike light sparring. It has to hurt somewhat.
    I would say I'm a 'dishonest' sparring partner to an extent, I would like people to hit me with force.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I agree. The problem is that if you go hard contact from standing then the person can at least move with direct hits to dissipate the force, but once you get into MMA-style sparring then people know that if they lose position they will have to sit there and take a pounding.

With that said, that's a very real hole in my game and once my striking is back up to par I'd love to try it at a Throwdown.

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shuma, I just noticed, you have 5 of those little green boxes...
    I think I have been coddling you...
    With 5 green boxes, that is equivelant to what, a brown belt ?
    Time to open up a can of whoop ass !!

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The solution to light sparring isn't "hit harder". Then it's not light sparring anymore.

The real problem isn't usually that your partner is a "bad" partner, it's that "reacting appropriately" to light sparring techniques requires you to see, recognize, process, analyze, decide and react to a technique...it requires a lot more thought than hard sparring because you're simulating a reaction.

My solution isn't to make light sparring into hard sparring, my solution is to use the light sparring to help me develop what it's best suited to developing: speed. Lord knows it's my weak point, so when I spar light, I try to put speed into my techniques. Throwing a 5 "hit" combo instead of a 3 or 4. I work more on body-movement and evasion and footwork. Honestly? I don't care if my opponent reacts "properly", because I'm looking to increase my personal attributes. I'm a selfish bastard. :D
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crimson Tiger is correct. In a similar fashion, I like to flip my left foot with a rndhs into the face of an apponent, or slip in a back lifting hook kick to the chin. In "friendly" sparring these things are possible. My instructor also told me to work on mixing up punching more; I was tending to go to the head repeatedly. In light sparring I could experiment more and not worry about getting hurt.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:56pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I guess its good.
    But on the other hand, When I will fight, I'll rely on making the other person hurt.
    a full power knee to the solar plexus does not feel nice.
    however a motion to there is like..Big deal.
    But once you get hit its a whole 'nother thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 10:32am

Style: Karate/Kempo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The secret to light contact is speed quickness and foot work. You use a lot more foot work angles ect because your going for accumalitive points. Also you need to and some shifting/fienting along with the foot work.

its like anything else you have to train particuarly for that. If you try to train f/c and light then you get confused because you dont do either very well.

I also suggest drills drills and more drills covering the distance and clearing ,closing the door.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 10:56am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin, you ever play around with "ji?" There are a lot of ways to fa jing a person, but ji differentiates itself by being slower and more spread out (e.g. with a forearm), than something like a hard, deep punch.

Ji is often used to move a guy across the room without really doing any damage, although it can just as easily be combined with a lock or a trip--things that tend to affect the way that you move after a big "push."

This might be a good tool for light sparring. Aside from being able to practice something that you might not have the opportunity to do, it will also move your opponent in a way that a hard strike can't. Perhaps you could use that for setups.

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 11:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, I have tried fajing, but the gloves kind of ruin it, I have never been much for pushing people, but hey, no harm in trying...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast