Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 1:18am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great work-outs, RedElvis.
    I agree whith the opinion about squats as well.
    You need strong legs for your judo throws.

I am repeating myself here , but I am convinced adding the olympic moves to your weight lifting routine adds to your explosivity and power - which you need in judo.
    Plus you can set them up in a way that you do them over time.
    Like , how many sets of C+J, Snatch and single hand snatch (each side ) can you do in 3 minutes. You will loose weight with these sort of exercises as well, as your whole body get's involved.

etc. - again, crossfit.com has some good suggestions.

Afs

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 1:56am

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about ab/core training? That's important to every physical sport.

Judo Instructor

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 2:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THe olympic moves to take care of that , but it's usefull to add some physio ball exercises.
    Like - you need three physioballs for this one :
    Each hand on a ball and your feet on the 3rd. Do push-ups.
    Kneel on the ball and do single sided shoulder press.
    Sit on the ball , feet outstretched , do single sided biceps curls.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 3:40am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The three ball pushup is a pretty advanced exercise that most people will have to spend a while working up to.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Judo Instructor

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 4:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    true, true - I just wanted to show of...
    Start with simple hands and knees on the balls ( 4 point balance )
    Than on the knees, sit upright

Push ups
    Feet on the ground, use only one ball
    Knees on a bench use one ball
    Knees on the bench use two balls
    Feet on the bench use two balls and so on

Judo Instructor

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 4:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and having read previous post of you, TBM, you know that anyway...

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Measurable progression is disturbingly lacking in all routines mentioned so far.

Just because something is physically demanding doesn't neccesarily make it worthwhile exercise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:27am

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cant do a single chin up. I'm kinda weak in that aspect. But not entirely in every other area. I can bench 180 (my body weight).

So you're saying I should do something cardio thats more like fighting? Why not shadow boxing?

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 1:03am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KumaOni
    I can’t do a single chin up. I'm kinda weak in that aspect. But not entirely in every other area. I can bench 180 (my body weight).

So you're saying I should do something cardio that’s more like fighting? Why not shadow boxing?
    Nah, not saying that at all. Your workout routine is either:

1. Weight training, which if done per everybody's recommendations is lower reps and high weight
    ----- This will be good for your strength and power for short bursts where required (Throws, escapes etc.)
    2. Bag Training, which is anaerobic in nature
    ----- This is good to keep up your endurance, which will be good for sparring
    3. Cardio that is somewhat of a longer distance type of training (jogging and biking)
    ----- This is the part I'm not so sure of and I'm sure many will disagree with me.

What I'm saying to add to your cardio routine is to throw body weight exercises done with little or no rest for time. This will give you a workout (but more anaerobic) that will prepare you better for fighting than a long repetitive type of exercise.

Think about this: When you get done grappling hard for 60 minutes you have used just about every muscle group in your body. Not only are you winded but all your major muscle groups are tired from strenuous use and you have also used smaller muscle groups that help to support the larger ones. The above body weight workouts are similar in that I am trying to simulate using all the muscle groups with little rest that lends to a good anaerobic workout. The intensity will vary from each exercise to the next much like fighting. If you just jog/bike for 60 minutes you are using only certain muscles without much variation and the intensity is fairly constant. Which one will better simulate fighting? Even and constant with certain muscles or varied for short bursts with all your muscles being involved? Notice some of the exercises are fairly simple and allow me to catch my breath momentarily and then I'll do a different one that is hard again. The simple ones are also the ones that help to strengthen areas that are often neglected and are prone to injury in MA training. (Such as the ankles, wrists, neck and lower back).

The recommendation would be to jog, bike, swim and throw in body weight workouts in addition to weight lifting, shadow boxing and bag work. Sprints are also good as are plyometrics. Variation is the key. Try doing sprints during your jogging for example.

Measurable progression is disturbingly lacking in all routines mentioned so far.

Just because something is physically demanding doesn't neccesarily make it worthwhile exercise.
    Good point regarding progression. What I failed to mention is that these routines I listed are variable and are meant to be changed over time. (Hell, I make up new workouts every week that are harder and more intense than the last) For example, when I do the "Minute Madness" for an hour I have no plan on what exercises to do or what order to do them. I just start doing exercises mixing up the order of muscle groups and some are more strenuous than the others. That is the point; I can push the limits for 5 minutes straight and back off for a minute to catch my breath depending on how I feel during the workout.

The progression is that I can vary my use of easier exercises by doing harder ones and modify how I do them from one workout to the next getting more and more difficult each week. If pushups are easy then I'll do pushups with one foot pointed at the ceiling the next time or I'll do them one handed or while balancing on the balls AFS was talking about. I could do 100-yard sprints as part of the routine to further enhance the workout and add in plyometrics. You can do a lot with 60 exercises for a minute each. Why not do some for two minutes and others for 30 seconds? The point is to keep pushing yourself more and more each time always doing new things to stimulate growth and to keep the workouts fresh.

If you’re just worried about progression in terms of being able to bench press more than your buddies then disregard what I'm saying. I could care less how much I can press or how fast I can do a two-mile run. As long as I feel like I’m going to puke or pass out at the end of EVERY workout than I feel as though I’m progressing. It’s also nice to be the guy who is the last one standing on the mat when everybody else is layed out due to exhaustion saying “come on guys, one more round”?

This is a typical week for me:

Muay Thai Kickboxing/Western Boxing: 3-4 x 60 minutes (includes lots of bag work and shadow boxing)
    FMA: 1 x 60 minutes (only one class a week offered now due to low interest... boo hoo)
    Submission Grappling: 1 x 90 minutes and 1 x 60 minutes
    Vale Tudo style sparring: 1 x 30-45 minutes (follows 90 minute grappling class)
    Body weight workouts: 1-2 x 60 minutes
    Yoga: 1 x 60 minutes (yup, I do it with my ‘ol lady and she is tuff… good for balance too)
    Sprints/stairs and/or swimming: Typically one of those per week depending on how my knee is feeling. Ideally would like to do both but alas time is an issue.
    Stretching: Everyday

(Note: I will soon be adding weight training once a week with low reps and heavy weight for mass and power. Just having a problem finding time as I also work 45-50 hours a week on average plus no lifting partner as of yet).

Disclaimer: I am not a fitness expert just throwing in my two cents when it was asked for. Feel free to disagree.
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 11/16/2004 1:06am at . Reason: Clarity
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Certified Fitness Trainer

Achievements:
    VeteranYour first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 1:52am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2. Bag Training, which is anaerobic in nature
    ----- This is good to keep up your endurance, which will be good for sparring
    This isn't necessarily true. Bag work can easily be aerobic also.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast