Posted On:
    12/26/2004 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    ... because of possible neck injuries.

This is a point I've never entertained. Interesting.

Have you seen some serious injuries from your students and what were their circumstances?

I am very curious.

Thanks.

Edit: 4 spelling
    Last edited by bushi51; 12/26/2004 9:54pm at .

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    12/26/2004 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its true man, any heavy headgear can cause this. You see it most with the large headgear used in boxing practice which tends to twist and cover your face also.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2004 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are these face shields any better than face masks, with regards to causing neck injuries?
    Does anyone know why the pankration people selected a face shield over a face mask?
    Was it just so that they could use the Top Ten headgear as well?

http://www.pankration.homestead.com/...ctstopten.html

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 6:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nog
    No he didn't. That is what made his comments and his neg repping of me hilarious.
    Yes I did read what you posted. I also recognized that you were in fact correct and posted as much before even seeing omega's post (I need to reresh more often).

Perhaps you should, instead of letting your ego dictate your neg-repping in reply, read what I wrote and recognize that given that there are plenty of people with actual contemporary experience creates a situation where your opinion isn't needed.

You can't balance the pros and cons of training with and without certain gear given the simple fact that you don't, and haven't in a long time, train. When did you? How long? In what? As I recall the answers to these questions are pretty lacking, even moreso than my feeble experience.

In short this is a martial arts website, and you're not a martial artist.

Get it?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 9:10pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Are these face shields any better than face masks, with regards to causing neck injuries?
    Does anyone know why the pankration people selected a face shield over a face mask?
    Was it just so that they could use the Top Ten headgear as well?

http://www.pankration.homestead.com/...ctstopten.html

We shattered one of those masks 2 years ago.

The neck injury tends to be cumulitive because the body has to compensate for the extra weight and displaced area the mask covers.

Posted On:
    12/28/2004 11:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious here:

How heavy is heavy? Got an example of the ones you guys use?

I never had that happen to me at my old WC place on the occasions we used headgear.
    My neck was only sore from getting punched in the head, which I still haven't fixed. :)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 2:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nog
    I normally stay OUT of training topics for the exact reasons you stated.
    Go back to this posting pattern.

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 3:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You act like his post on this thread was some great sin.

Actually, to respond to you Dochter, I would have neg repped you for making such a poor trolling post but you had already been neg repped apparently so I decided not to further neg rep you. Otherwise I frown on retaliatory neg repping for no reason save for retaliation.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 3:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    You act like his post on this thread was some great sin.
    His post is symptomatic of what many others have called Bullshido on: Uninformed and unexperienced individuals proffering up their wisdom without even putting in qualifiers. My experience isn't great but I make sure to preface most technical comments with that.

Raven is not a practicing martial artist. He has not been one for awhile. His experience prior to that was reported to be negligible. He is not a martial artist or even an aspiring one. Instead he is a fan. His opinion carries as much weight on any MA topic as Blade Windu's should. If he makes a declarative comment (regardless of veracity) on something he should be called on it. Otherwise we are allowing Bullshido to exist on this site.

I may not be able to do much against bullshido off site, I certainly can call it here though.

Now there are of course obvious situations where critical thinking can lead to the correct answer (as is the obvious case here). That doesn't mean any jackass should hold out their opinons as definitive.

Many legitimate experts on fighting topics have bemoaned this as well. I've decided to actually call people on it when I see it. I may not be much of a fighter myself but I know a pouser when I see one.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/29/2004 3:35pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    His post is symptomatic of what many others have called Bullshido on: Uninformed and unexperienced individuals proffering up their wisdom without even putting in qualifiers. My experience isn't great but I make sure to preface most technical comments with that.

Raven is not a practicing martial artist. He has not been one for awhile. His experience prior to that was reported to be negligible. He is not a martial artist or even an aspiring one. Instead he is a fan. His opinion carries as much weight on any MA topic as Blade Windu's should. If he makes a declarative comment (regardless of veracity) on something he should be called on it. Otherwise we are allowing Bullshido to exist on this site.

I may not be able to do much against bullshido off site, I certainly can call it here though.

Now there are of course obvious situations where critical thinking can lead to the correct answer (as is the obvious case here). That doesn't mean any jackass should hold out their opinons as definitive.

Many legitimate experts on fighting topics have bemoaned this as well. I've decided to actually call people on it when I see it. I may not be much of a fighter myself but I know a pouser when I see one.
    Thanks for that dude, I was seriously wondering what ate some pinto beans and milk, crawled up your ass, turned sideways, and died.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast