Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main purpose for wearing head gear is to reduce the sudden acceleration of your skull as it smacks into your brain, just enough to avoid a concussion.

<Insert something clever here>

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Currently a BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    The main purpose for wearing head gear is to reduce the sudden acceleration of your skull as it smacks into your brain, just enough to avoid a concussion.

Interesting.

I figured it would have the boxing glove effect.
    :qleft1: :new_cussi :qmickey: :evil7: :XXcat: :XXfish: :5crackup:

Genius

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear a mouth piece.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    11/15/2004 11:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I heard that also prevents concussions. I don't know how accurate that is, nor how it would have that effect. I always assumed it was to protect the teeth.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 8:44am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe the value in wearing a mouthguard, with respect to concussions, is in the reduced risk of damage to your TMJ, when you get punched in the jaw. Your TMJ is at the end of your lower jaw, just below your ear, and can impact into your skull, causing both neurological and/or orthopedic damage, like concussions, vertigo, TMJ displacement etc...

I would assume that wearing a mouthguard doesn't eliminate the need to wear headgear. But it probably reduces the need for having a lot of chin padding on your head gear.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 10:37am

Style: Karate/Kempo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight gear got some pretty good stuff. use head gear not a face mask. It will limit your periphial view and you'll gewt hit alot more. Use head gear, so you wont be like gumby in a about 5-10 years of getting hit.
    It does take its toll after a while

Posted On:
    11/16/2004 10:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does thanks.

Posted On:
    11/20/2004 11:45pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Wear a mouth piece.
    W3rd!!!

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wearing a face mask doesn't necessarily have to breed bad habits, more than any other safety gear. You just have be aware of what the safety gear is allowing you to do and realize that it wouldn't be the same way without it.

People will gloves on routinely punch hard enough to break their hands if they weren't wearing them. No one tells them not to wear gloves. I've seen people with heavy duty shin guards throw and block kicks that they never could without them.

Sure, full contact with no gear would be best, but no one is stupid or sturdy enough to do that. You always have to make choices that balance saftey and realism. I'm not a big fan of headgear, especially the foam type, but honestly I wish face guards were used at my school. Right now the face isn't even a legal target. That's right, no hitting to the face, only parts of the head covered by gear. If that doesn't breed bad habits, I don't know what does.

If face guards were used, then at least people would go for the face and people would have to at least attempt defending it, even if they didn't get a realistic impression of what happens when they fail.

Posted On:
    11/21/2004 3:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Wearing a face mask doesn't necessarily have to breed bad habits, more than any other safety gear. You just have be aware of what the safety gear is allowing you to do and realize that it wouldn't be the same way without it.

People will gloves on routinely punch hard enough to break their hands if they weren't wearing them. No one tells them not to wear gloves. I've seen people with heavy duty shin guards throw and block kicks that they never could without them.

Sure, full contact with no gear would be best, but no one is stupid or sturdy enough to do that. You always have to make choices that balance saftey and realism. I'm not a big fan of headgear, especially the foam type, but honestly I wish face guards were used at my school. Right now the face isn't even a legal target. That's right, no hitting to the face, only parts of the head covered by gear. If that doesn't breed bad habits, I don't know what does.

If face guards were used, then at least people would go for the face and people would have to at least attempt defending it, even if they didn't get a realistic impression of what happens when they fail.

I agree. However, IME, most people get lazy the more gear they have on, or the lighter the contact. That's where the bad habits breed.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast