Posted On:
    11/22/2004 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaychiu
    Fighthouse again or somewhere else?

My schedule is pretty open so let me know.
    my school lost our lease and we are in the middle of re-locating. if we are settled in by the time the next throwdown happens, then we will do it at my school (with the bonus of not having to rent space, we won't have to chip in on the rental) otherwise, it will be fighthouse again.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im free after 12/23

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 1:14am

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

definitely

yea, im good for a throwdown too, btw HI, my name's Steve :) as soon as possible is my preference, jus cus these kinda things excite me lol, but im free whenever u guys are up for it, i live in nyc btw, bx.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 1:47am

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW Ming, no touch sparring does have its value believe it or not, please keep an open mind. im not saying that contact sparring isnt needed because it is (and i prefer it =) hehe) but think about it. when u fight and are making contact, regardless of ur discipline, ur natural instinct, conscious or sub conscious is going to be thinking, "oh wow he hit me, gotta get him back" or "oh **** that hurt, damn gotta hit him good..." as opposed to no touch sparring where we can practice our techniques without an ego and just focus on learning movement and all that other good stuff. u can develop a sense of distance if u make it very light sparring, or even get it from ur regular sparring. also, by praciticing no contact we are learning to develop more control of our techniques, we can pull our kicks and punches back and need to practice controlling our power more. this is obviously important in real life applications because we dont want to kill any one... right? jus my thoughts.

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 2:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not right at all.

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 3:52am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not right at all indeed.

No touch sparring gives an unrealistic expectation of outcomes when actually striking.
    You will begin to tihnk that you have actually hit him and done damage when actually you are learning poor spatial control when it comes to striking. Assuming you could have one-hit killed him if you had actually hit him is also preposterous, spout theory all you desire, but until you have actually done it, the idea is all talk.

If your ego gets in the way when doing contact sparring, I'm sure someone will come along and beat it out of you.

As for real life situations, I would rather land a punch that knockouts or kills the guy with the knife rather than a little tap with control that only makes him mad that you actually hit him. There is no such thing as "control" (really what you mean is 'holding back power that could help you') nor mercy when it comes to my own self-defense.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pizdoff is correct. non-contact sparring is fine for maybe the first couple times a newbie trys sparring, but after that they need to start hitting each other.

real control is landing a strike with enough power to let the person know you nailed them, but not enough power to do any real damage.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A tkd guy at a mcthrowdown, that could be dangerous. Could turn into a McBeatdown

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 10:43am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop trolling the thread gujoJKDdude, your attempt at humour is lost through the medium that is the internet.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 11:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSag3
    ...when u fight and are making contact, regardless of ur discipline, ur natural instinct, conscious or sub conscious is going to be thinking, "oh wow he hit me, gotta get him back" or "oh **** that hurt, damn gotta hit him good..."
    Okay, and in a "real" encounter you will not only have these instincts to deal with but other issues as well. (fear [fight or flight response], adrenaline, etc.) Better to train and get use to these feelings in a safe atmosphere than to be surprised by them and hampered by them when you really need to keep your wits about you.

No touch sparring...sigh...you're able to punch faster than your shadow too, aren't you? :new_smile
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast