Loving Father

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 3:48am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    Tell the truth Meex, I wore a grey belt. I shouda worn my white, but this local guy told me it would be cool with them to wear my black. Hmmm, tricky of you, eh? :icon_scra An ex-girlfriend used my Kajukenbo green belt to tow a car and broke it, dumb girl.

Seriously, I sure meant no disrespect and it was total fun getting the snot beat out of me. That is a great school. Did you get me on video when I managed to more or less escape that last lock the guy had on? Reynaldo, the first bb I trained with and who'sits, the second, were both real fun to play with. By the time Clarence was talking (yelling?) to me I was getting so gassed I could hardly respond.

We'll have to get together and watch your vids the next time I'm on the Islands. You'll be laughing and I'll be crying. Or for sure come to Utah the next time you are on the mainland. Did Selly like the mainland? More bettah you stay Island Style.
    Well, I will let you know as soon as I find the cord to take the video off of the digital camera. . .it grew legs this past week. . .

`~/

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's teenagers in my house that help lose the stuff their senile parents can't find in the first place.

Looking back I'm happy I was able to get out near the end when Prof. was asking, "Can you move?" Felt I redeemed myself a little for a somewhat poor showing. Part of that comes from just dif techniques (and getting flustered and gassed!). And part is getting into a new situation. My Kajukenbo Sifu came by the Kyokushin Dojo once or twice and looked awkward even doing the warmups, they were so different. It's like I mentioned to a good brown belt in Universal that I'd gone to C's school the nite before. He'd gone to BJJ for awhile and the Universal guys got all pissed. Turns out that they think that you should give all your attention to one (their) school. He thinks he's getting a more well rounded art from Universal (and watching their advanced people move, I agree. There's a reason police take Universal). I see value in getting one down, but basically if my Kosho Shorei Ryu Shihan or my Chirioku instructor told me that I had to work out with them exclusively, I'd split. After talking to the brown belt I didn't tell the Universal instructor anything, of course.

More reasons to move back to Hawaii. Universal tu/thur, Kajukenbo m/w, throw in some BJJ and Tai Chi and in all my spare time beg Meex to teach me your internal stuff... wow!

Oh, I forgot my wife won't want to live out of an old van while I become the old martial arts nut, ****. Oh well, I'll be in such great shape some young honey will claim me, I'm sure!

Loving Father

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a reason police take Universal
    Yeah, Jonathan Vance.
    He's not only Prof. Buell's # 2, he's a cop.
    And, they get a discount.
    Yet, nobody told them that 90% of the Kempo they learn they can't use on the job, or off of it. (Cops are cops 24/7)

Oh, I forgot my wife won't want to live out of an old van while I become the old martial arts nut, ****. Oh well, I'll be in such great shape some young honey will claim me, I'm sure!
    A hippie married to a Chinese princess. . .what is the world coming to?
    There is always the room over the garage??
    Maybe your son will hit it big in the political satire market?
    btw - you better nottt let her hear your "young honey" comment!

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 11:50pm

Style: Chinese Kempo Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More reasons to move back to Hawaii. Universal tu/thur
    Hi Pat,

Just want you to know that I got my Universal training from Chief Instructor Garland Johnson in Colorado. The man is awesome. I'm no longer with them. Part of the reason was freedom. I now train in whatever I want. Other than that, it's a good place to be. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself.

Take care,
    Andrew

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 1:01pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, wish I knew about this before. I was vacationing on Oahu that week. That day, I was on the beach over in Ko Olina. Oh well. :lol:

That island totally owns, BTW.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2006 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so as to be reached w/o bbc :

Originally Posted by Meex:
    I understand where a lot of the negative comments about this system come from. . .

For those of you who have had a bad experience with Kajukenbo, i say. . .Hae you ever been to a sh**ty karate, judo, tkd dojo? same thing applies in this instance.

Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute (KSDI) was founded by the original five mentioned, and incoporated by the Emperado's. Many of the branches claiming Kajukenbo lineage basically teach whatever the instructor first learned (many kempo-karate instructors), and incorporated techniques they thinkare okay to add. This in no way means they teach Kajukenbo.

Even within the KSDI schools, there is some politics going on, and diversity, and watering down, leaving many (high belt instructors, professors, and the like) unable to actually defend their belt status.

If any of you are in Hwaii, and want to see real kajukenbo?
    Check out Clarence (Luna) Emperado's class,
    Mondays and Wednesdays, 6:00-7:30 or 8:00pm
    at Royal School (on the Punchbowl exit off the H-1 freeway)

Original tachniques are still being taught, as well as applications and evolutions that have been brought out of the system over the yearz. Real techniques for the eal worl. . .no tournaments, no bragging, no bulls**t.

This class is for beginners, as well as advanced wtudents. How often have you heard of a class that 3rd and 4th degree students come to train? NOt teach, train. . .run through drills with the rest, etc.

Anyway, kajukenbo, taught correctly, is as good and complete as anything I've seen out thee in 35 years of ma.

Clarence is the adopted son o Adriano emperado, and grew up in the wonderful community of Mayor Wright's Housing. Needless to say, his kajukenbo training was both hard, and battle-tested. His partner, John Pascua is well versed in the game. . .bring your knowledge in for a test drive. Their black belt tests incled a "bull-ring" to demonstrate whether or not they have learned their art. The ring members are all blackbelts, and they give no quarter to pretenders entering their ranks.

(Adriano Emperado and Frank Ordonez often attend class functions.)

If you can't check it out, sorry. I can't speak on all the many variants out there, just the original.
    I first met clarence about 20 years ago when some friends went to try his class. . .they became some of his first black belts. I've had a lot o friends, in all walks of life, go through his system. All are well trained, deadly street fighters. . .whether it was their intent, or not. they are also, to a man, humble, gracious, and rarely openly show off their prowess. (unless their teacher, or a founder asks to see what they've got.)

Anyway, I'm done taking up your time.
    `~\

So I meet a few people, I warmed up with can-cans and back heel lifts. Everyone is in t-shirts. A command is given and everyone puts on their gi tops. I put mine on with my black belt. I told them that I'd done three years of Kajukenbo years ago, then when that school died went to Kyokushin. Prof Emperado asked what I wanted to learn and I said that I'm here for just one night so I want to learn everything. Meaning everything I could in one night, given that I'm a fat wimp with learning problems, but I didn't add that part.

The entire class was spent with one partner on mats that were put together on the cement floor. My partner was Reynaldo, a third degree black. The class had about twenty, and about half were black belts. We drilled bare hand defense to attacks from punches,grabs, knife, and club. Reynaldo is really good and took some time to explain moves. I asked him if one particularly nice takedown arm pin was part of the drills that Kajukenbo taught and he said that no, he was improvising. He (just like Shihan of Kosho Shorei Ryu) said that once you understand the principles you can go from there. He did various small adjustments to the same takedown that put stress on different joints. He was real fun to work out with and the next thing I know is that Prof has another guy for my partner and things move up a notch intensity wise. I got a fat lip right away (he said are you ok and that I had bent over, and I was like well, you did just hit my stomach! - but of course I said no problem). Prof didn't seem very impressed with my techniques that would have got me sliced by the knife so he had me attack him. I'm not sure what he did but it ended with my head under his knee and my right arm locked. He said, "Can you move?" And I said, "Well you are crushing my head." He repeated the question and I told him that I couldn't. I went back to being hit and thrown around by the second bb and did my best to return the favor, but I WAS getting gassed and spaced out from the stress.

The last time we did an attack sequence Prof was next to us and when I attacked the bb threw me and locked my arm with me underneath on my side. Prof yelled, "Can you move?" I said I could move my legs. He kinda raised his voice and said, "Can you move?" And something along the lines of "Then move." So I moved, and tried to kick the guy in the face, triangle him, or whatever and got loose. I was still down but when Prof broke us up I had both hands on his chest grapping his gi trying to pull him down/off/smack him etc so I felt a little vindicated that I was at least able to get a partial reversal of his ending technique. Prof didn't look too thrilled, but I don't know if he was annoyed by my crummy techniques or that his bb couldn't hold me. The bb was real friendly and helpful and came up after class and talked with me a little. We ended class with the traditional prayer, took our belts off kneeling, and lined up and sasluted and shook hands with Prof and as everyone did that they took there place next to him so I, as the lowest bb shook hands with Prof, then all the bbs decending in rank, then I turned around in line and all the lower belts shook my hand.

It crossed my mind that just perhaps I was getting a hard time because I was haole, but then a Kajukenbo haole bb that is head of his own school in Kahala came in and everyone seemed to love him, so it sure wasn't racial. Then Meex told me that they had gone easy on me. Well, thanks, because if they had gone much harder I would have barfed or passed out!

Next time I'm on O'ahu I'll work out with Professor Emperado's class for sure. But this time I'll give him some $ and wear a white belt. I was very impressed and if anyone thinks Kajukenbo sucks, please drop by Punchbowl's Royal School and have a go at it. I've never been in a general class that had so many black belts since years ago in Kyokushin, where only the hardcore stayed with it. And I don't mean big tough guys, though there were some in KK, there were young/old/male/female, just people who dug hard practice.

It is very dif from KK, I was "corrected" when I did KK type one punch one kill techniques as defense. Prof made the point that I could only hit 10 times in the time it took them to hit 30, and it's true. IMHO though, my KK stuff also works and I'm not about to say one is better. It's just their point of view and I respect it and would love to bb under Prof Emperado (and Profesor Buell's Universal Kempo Karate) and I don't think I'd ever mention to either that I'd be working out elsewhere.

Frank Ordonez, the jj guy who wrote the prayer stopped by. It was once of three times that class was interrupted by a command as someone came to the door (show respect? something was barked out) and everyone snapped to and saluted/bowed to the door.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567