Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open palm

148 70.81%
  • Closed palm

28 13.40%
  • Thumb sleeve

76 36.36%
  • Finger padding (beyond first knuckles)

57 27.27%
  • Wrist support strap

144 68.90%
  • Heavy padding for strikes

75 35.89%
  • Thin padding for better grappling

70 33.49%
  • Grip bar (along with my Lululemon yoga outfit I wear to Tae Bo class)

12 5.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Albert, this is a thread about what you like in a pair of gloves. I'm sorry someone wedgied your Hunter shorts, but can you please take your accusations of Blad3-ism elsewhere?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 5:59pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point is relevant to the very existence of this thread. Why would you care about what makes a good MMA glove, unless you do the associated training consistently and/or you're preparing for an MMA fight? I would start a new thread, but it would most likely involve a bunch of denials ("I'm TOTALLY MMA DUDEZ, just look at my Pride DVD collection!"), and only a few extremely intelligent individuals agreeing with me. And obviously, the only reason I would start a new thread would be for serious advice, or for people to stroke my e-penis.

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 6:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking at the results of this poll is a mixed bag; I'll give you that. But let's not drag it down in spite of the people who actually know what they're talking about.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes i actually practice MMA sparring, typically i do a couple rounds of standup, a couple rounds of clinch, a couple rounds of grappling and yes a couple rounds of vale tudo, 2-3 days a week.

i agree that the difference between training grappling and striking separately and training vale tudo is extreme and that more people should train vale tudo.

oh and shum.. i think that the fact that you were trying too-large ouanos has skewed your opinion of them... when they fit right they are amazing gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by albert
    Wait..are you saying STRIKE AND GRAPPLE?! Great Scott, niggas!!!

No ****. That's what MMA gloves are for; I didn't feel the need to spell it out. But that kind of training tends to be very high impact. I had a Yoseikan Budo instructor that had us do RINGS rules sparring once a week (after we did drills). MMA sparring must be even more difficult. Most people on the forum don't train like that, except for the fighters. The rest of you should start a "fight" team WANNABEism :xx:. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong. Do you or anyone else posting on this thread really train MMA?

Buying MMA gloves and thinking it makes one more "MMA" is no less bullshido than an average kendoka buying a katana off of HSN and thinking he's a swordsman. ML, I'm not accusing you directly, but rather making a general assertion that I believe applies to a significant proportion of the forum members. It represents a kind of overcompensation to differentiate oneself from bullshido.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 7:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be that as it may, I'm kind of attached to my right thumb, well, being attached. I suppose I could wrap underneath them, but doesn't that negate the thumbless open-palm design?

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 10:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where the hell IS omega and other members of the board who actually compete/competed anyways? They would probably be pretty helpful in this area.
    CALLING OMEGA!
    CALLING 'ACTUAL' NHB FIGHTERS WITH CREDENTIALS BECAUSE IT IS APPARENTLY BULLSHIDO ACCORDING TO ALBERT TO PRACTISE NHB FIGHTING UNLESS ITS DONE COMPETITIVELY OR UNDER PROFESSIONAL SUPERVISION.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    11/12/2004 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should've added options like, "My hand", or "$1000 dollar bills". OHHOHOHOHOHOHOO
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 2:55am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't tried open palms but I know the added sensitivity would be better.
    Grip bars are teh suck.
    I don't feel that the areas past the second knuckle have to be protected as you shouldn't really be striking with them. That being said I HAVE gotten cuts on my knuckles there infrequently.

Have currently Boes bag gloves, leather, with grip bar which is poor for grappling, velcro wrist support, thumb protection which I like, padding a bit thin for MMA sparring.
    $40 CDN.

Quote Originally Posted by albert
    This is why you use bag gloves for bag/pad/mitt work, a bit heavier gloves for sparring, and no gloves for grappling. The MMA gloves are optional, if you want to overcompensate for all those years of Lee Jacob's All American Karate. MMA wannabes.
    Please tell me what you would use for MMA sparring.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 11:57am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA gloves; but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the voters do not engage in MMA sparring on a consistent basis, and hence merely vote on which MMA glove they like simply to appear more "MMA." Very Sherdogian. Of course, this thread does have value as a future reference, so I regret being grumpy in my previous posts. My point about overcompensation stands though. I have met too many of these type of people not to suspect that some of them are here too.

Posted On:
    12/04/2004 12:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah ok, that would explain things more.

But since I KNOW some of the posters you may have possibly been addressing in this thread are the real deal and do spar MMA style I was rather perplexed since you did seem to be addressing them.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast