Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open palm

148 70.81%
  • Closed palm

28 13.40%
  • Thumb sleeve

76 36.36%
  • Finger padding (beyond first knuckles)

57 27.27%
  • Wrist support strap

144 68.90%
  • Heavy padding for strikes

75 35.89%
  • Thin padding for better grappling

70 33.49%
  • Grip bar (along with my Lululemon yoga outfit I wear to Tae Bo class)

12 5.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/10/2004 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Great NHB Glove poll

Please vote for the options you would prefer in your ideal MMA glove. Do not vote for two mutually exclusive options like closed and open palm.

I'm currently using Warrior's current generation of grappling/NHB gloves. They are closed-palm leather with a thumb sleeve, in addtion to finger padding all the way down to the second knuckles. The thumb sleeve is a plus because my right thumb has been torn around way too many times and I enjoy the extra support. They have a long wrist strap which is hindered by the KorCan logo, so I can't close it tightly until I bulk up my forearms a bit more. They're much better than the previous generations of their gloves and if not for the logo would be pretty close to my ideal. However, if you are a heavy puncher you're not going to get wraps under these like the Pride gloves.
    For $60 CDN I think I did pretty well with this purchase. The leather and stitching are very nice and these should last me a long time.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 11/10/2004 11:03pm at . Reason: Spelling

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/10/2004 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you need to specify if you are talking about a training glove or a fight glove.

i like the shooto gloves for training (you can hit harder in sparring without injuring your sparring partner.)

for fight gloves i like the pride copies that jenrick from the sherdog forums made (they are called hybrid-x.) i also like the fairtex NHB glove.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/10/2004 11:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I was thinking more of a fight glove. For the bag I usually just wrap.

Can you give a more detailed account of the Fairtex gloves? I almost bought the thumbed version before I found my current gloves.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 11/11/2004 9:22am at .

Posted On:
    11/10/2004 11:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have the thumbed version, but i think i would get the thumbless one if i was to buy them again.

they have very little padding. just enough to protect your hands and wrists, but practically no protection for the person getting hit.

as an example, when i would hit the focus mits, there would be a distinctive imprint from each knuckle! needless to say i had to hit very lightly when sparring with them, or i would get a lot of complaints from sparring partners.

they lasted me almost a year of heavy use 2-3 days a week, before the padding disintigrated under the knuckles, and one of the seams became exposed and started cutting my knuckle.

i spoke to fairtex about them and they told me that they were designed to be fight gloves and to be used 3 times maximum in the ring.

that doesn't stop them from being good bag/focus mitt gloves as well though.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Loving Father

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I chose open palm, thumb sleeve, and finger padding. But, I think this would apply only for training. I actually would prefer no gloves for fighting. All in all, I like the harbingers, with the recommended modifications. i'd actually like to sew down a few more places, and cut it up a bit more, though.

`~/

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 12:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Shumagorath!

You need to change the last option in your poll to:

Grip bar (along with my Lululemon RASH GUARD that I wear to roll with the local soccer moms)

I kid you not! Lululemon now sells BJJ wannabe Rash Guards! I know for a fact, because I wife just bought me one....*laughing*

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 12:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find the prospect of a lululemon rashguard absolutely terrifying and yet strangely arrousing.

Can some of you open-palm people discuss why you chose it over closed-palm? I really don't understand the difference, and open-palm gloves like the Ouanos tend to bunch up and slack when I make a fist. Then again, I was trying on a pair that was a size too large.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 12:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    i have the thumbed version, but i think i would get the thumbless one if i was to buy them again.

they have very little padding. just enough to protect your hands and wrists, but practically no protection for the person getting hit.

as an example, when i would hit the focus mits, there would be a distinctive imprint from each knuckle! needless to say i had to hit very lightly when sparring with them, or i would get a lot of complaints from sparring partners.

they lasted me almost a year of heavy use 2-3 days a week, before the padding disintigrated under the knuckles, and one of the seams became exposed and started cutting my knuckle.

i spoke to fairtex about them and they told me that they were designed to be fight gloves and to be used 3 times maximum in the ring.

that doesn't stop them from being good bag/focus mitt gloves as well though.
    This is why you use bag gloves for bag/pad/mitt work, a bit heavier gloves for sparring, and no gloves for grappling. The MMA gloves are optional, if you want to overcompensate for all those years of Lee Jacob's All American Karate. MMA wannabes.

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 1:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by albert
    This is why you use bag gloves for bag/pad/mitt work, a bit heavier gloves for sparring, and no gloves for grappling. The MMA gloves are optional, if you want to overcompensate for all those years of Lee Jacob's All American Karate. MMA wannabes.
    what if you want to spar with takedowns and groundfighting? what if you want to strike AND grapple on the ground? boxing gloves are not an option. or maybe you don't like the way boxing gloves restrict your technique (i know that i don't like fighting with boxing gloves on.)

that's why i use shooto and mma gloves for the most part (yes i sometimes use bag gloves or 14oz boxing gloves on the heavy bag, but that's for endurance training.)

remember, not everyone trains like you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 5:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait..are you saying STRIKE AND GRAPPLE?! Great Scott, niggas!!!

No ****. That's what MMA gloves are for; I didn't feel the need to spell it out. But that kind of training tends to be very high impact. I had a Yoseikan Budo instructor that had us do RINGS rules sparring once a week (after we did drills). MMA sparring must be even more difficult. Most people on the forum don't train like that, except for the fighters. The rest of you should start a "fight" team WANNABEism :xx:. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong. Do you or anyone else posting on this thread really train MMA?

Buying MMA gloves and thinking it makes one more "MMA" is no less bullshido than an average kendoka buying a katana off of HSN and thinking he's a swordsman. ML, I'm not accusing you directly, but rather making a general assertion that I believe applies to a significant proportion of the forum members. It represents a kind of overcompensation to differentiate oneself from bullshido.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast