Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    No-I like and quote what he says.

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenfucius
    when a traditional master is invited to teach his MA to the monks at the modern temple, his art acquires a "shaolin hat". mantis style becomes "shaolin mantis style", etc.
    I like this. Does he get a Shaolin robe, sandals, and a t-shirt?

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious harm
    THere is another diagram associated with the diagram I linked. In it , it shows that the Shoulders and hips align, that the elbows and knees align, and the bai hui and hui yin acu points align. I haven't yet found it on the internet recently.
    What the **** does this have to do with Shaolin Hype?

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    Of course, many of the martial-related stories about shaolin come from the supposed fact that so many martialists fled to hide there during different periods in China's history. . .much has been made of this happening during the Boxer Rebellion, hence a lot of the stories.

`~/

Yes-fucking stories. Like modern day Shaolin Monks with documentation from "Shaolin High"

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I been thinking that Taiji could be related to Shaolin. There is alot of talk of Taijiquan being related to daoist practices, and I think that is true, even if someone says there is no I ching connection to Taijiquan or Baguazhang. But can you really say for sure? Chen village is closer in location to the shaolin temple than any Daoist mountain.

The diagram in the background of this page I finf interesting. Does anyone know more about it. I think it is usually associated with the Taiji classics. It show Yin and Yang Taiji Spiral energy paths, and it shows a chakra. It appears to be the solar plexus chakra, although it could be the heart chakra. Cultivating the heart, mind and body are impotant in IMA( the Xin, xing, and the Yi). Taiji also has seated meditation which resembles a buddha practice, which uses pushing mountains vibrating palm, which is also in Shaolin qigong. Many moves in Taiji refer to buddha's, and yet I think there is a Taoist I ching connection as well myself. Belt meridian is emphasized whether Taoist or Yogic.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~aloria/chansigong.html

You fucking moron. Taji (Tai Chi) is a Daoist tradition-not Buddhist!

Style
    Internal/extern
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Created by Zhang San Feng you mean?

Style
    Tao Ga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Created by Zhang San Feng you mean?
    supposedly FOR the government, as an exercise for the "common people" - or so the story goes. I've also been told that the tai chi of today (no matter the lineage) came from three meditations (exercise sets) from a basic chi kung. Anyway. . .if taoist, not sil lum (shaolin), eh, wot?

`~/

Style
    Internal/extern
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm saying that in some Taiji styles it is the oral tradition that Taiji was created by Zhang San Fen from Wudang mountain. SOme of the Taiji classics claim to be written by Zhang San Feng. Now, I don't think anyone qustions the fact that the writers of the Taiji classics were knowledgable in Taiji, but most people don't think he was actually a real person, or at the least had nothing to do with Taiji. Some people say there is no trigram connection to either Taijiquan or baguazhang, and that they are shaolin MAs. Dong Hai Chuan was known to haves studied a shaolin style before he created Baguazhang. Now I think the styles are both Shaolin and Daoist. Bagua circle walking, and bagua body method are too similar to Taoist qigong for me to think there is no connection. But it is known IMAs consist of many styles, including shaolin, shuai chiao, and other styles. Taijiquan in fact, was created by a retired general who went into hiding in Chen village after his war career was over, he was skilled in many MAs. I am not clear if the art was called or referred to Taijiquan at that time. BUt meditation, buddhist, and perhaps also Taoist is involved. There is no doubt both Taiji and Shaolin refer to buddhas and cultivate buddha meditation. What I am saying is that it is not clear whether Taiji was developed and created to be Taiji, or if the name was given later. The principle of good "real" shaolin may be the same as Taoist. IMO the location of Chen village in relation to the Shaolin temple should not be ignored, they are very close.

Actually the truth about Zhang San Feng was that he did exsist. SOme shaolin traditions speak of him. He was a Taoist monk who traveled to Shaolin temple to become a Shaolin monk

But you callmetrinity, are the actual idiot who does not know what he is talking about. The evidence clearly shows both buddhist and taoist cultivation is invloved
    Last edited by serious harm; 11/12/2004 3:41pm at .

Style
    Internal/extern
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is an article which explains Taiji is multi faceted, containing many different aspects. Taijiquan is martial, for health, and spiritual.

http://www.taijigongfu.com/gongfu.html

Style
    Flower Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Trinity:

First concerning the 3 exercises from Ta Mo

The exercises in question are nothing like calisthenics or aerobics. Yoga like, yes.

The three exercise are known as
    1. Muscle Change Classic
    2. Marrow Washing Course
    3. 18 Movements of the Monks
    The first mention of these exercises being attributed to Bodhidharma occur around the late 1600s. It was common practice in China for someone to invent something, but attribute it's creation to someone more famous to make it seem more important. Bodhidharma did not bring these exercises to Shaolin. They were probably Taoist in origin.

Page 3 of 8 First 1234567 ... Last