Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Add to the confusion that fact that there is American Sanda (essentially just a rule set) and Chinese Sanda, an actual professional sport with an official government supprted circuit and a system of schools that are basically colleges to act as a talent farm.
    I should add theres different Chinese Sanda's (if thats the right word?). I do know the Chinese military police and military has thier own versions of them. I believe they also vary from region to region as well. The military police versions (I dont know about the military version) do alot of take downs and restraint techniques to the ground, prisoner handling etc.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 4:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. There is military Sanda as well. The history I put up is primarily the way I see the evolution of PRC Sport Sanda. I recently had a discussion with a soldier on leave visiting his family in Xi'an. He showed me the forms that are taught in the Chinese Army. They are short little routines about 10 in all. Unlike many of the forms you may have seen before they included combos like, jab-cross-sidekick. They also had some shield and baton routines that they were taught. Apparently the domestic forces, the 'wu jing' that he was part of, do not carry guns. According to the vet I spoke with who served in Tibet (he looks to me to be about mayeb in his late 50's) the military Sanda in his day was basically the same as the sport and it's primary purpose was to build courage and increase moral. In addition to the Sanda they also trained "jun quan" (army fist) a special martial art developed for the troops which included some interesting areas of training like "capture and restrain"...basically training 2 guys how to co-operate to ambush and capture a single larger opponent.

The sport Sanda of today, I have heard,but have no confirmation, grew out of the military Sanda which never died out with the Japanese invasion like the national martial arts acadamies did.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 6:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I heard is that military sanda was developed later in the 60's because the Chinese military was looking for a modernized combat art. I believed they incorporated Western boxing from old Western Boxing manuals written in Chinese dating from the 1930's. And Hsing I rifle Bayonet manuals from the 1920's.
    (I have to dig up my sources again.)

I have heard of something in regards of "touch takedown methods" used by Chinese special forces to capture an enemy and conduct field interrogations. I have not heard of the term you discribe. Thats new to me.
    Last edited by Freddy; 11/11/2004 6:23pm at .

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 8:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made up the term. My original conversation was all in Chinese.

Basically just stuff like co-ordinating one guy takling at the knees while the other guy goes high and then focusing on how to get him restrained quickly so they can take him in for interrigation. My friend didn't go into a lot of detail but I thought it was pretty cool that they would train 2 on 1 specifically.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 9:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in chinese it's called "pulling a fredo"

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/11/2004 11:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol............

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2008 9:20pm

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting thread, Omar.

So you don't think that foreign martial arts, especially Western boxing (Introduced via Russia/Japan?), had much of an influence on the development of Sanda?

Although I'd love to say that the art that I am studying in deadly ancient, the footwork seems rather unlike any TCMA (Modern bayonette techniques would explain that, but where did those come from, Russia?), though I have been told that the boxing of Sanda and Western boxing are quite different (Not sure how because I never studied Western boxing). In the film Fist of Legend it is clearly shown that Jet Li got his footwork from his studies in Japan, but how accurate can a film be?

Elbows and knees are less developed than in Muay Thai, but not absent. The kicks are slightly similar to Thai boxing, when compared with other martial arts. However, Sanda favours side kicks using the front leg, whilst it is almost never seen in Muay Thai. As far as I know (Which is only 3.7 metres), the power generation for the kicks is the same or very similar. The Sandajia (Sanda "frame"/guarde) has a considerably lower centre of gravity than MT does (At least from what I've seen of MT).

That said, every school that I have visited have different Jibengong (Foundation training) exercises, stances, prefered techniques, philosophies, et cetera, although the differences are subtle, yet important. I imagine MT has this too, but China is a lot bigger than Thailand so the variations could be huge and I have only around the South.

Where did the Jietui (Leg intercepting [takedown]) techniques come from?

On a side note, the Taijiquan fight philosophy is still heavily used (and to greater effect, I may add) in Shuaijiao. When was Kuaishuai (Fast Takedowns) developed in the overal scheme of things?

That ought to keep you busy for a while. ;)

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    3/29/2008 9:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar no longer posts here due to being a duck billed platypus shaped bleeding vagina retard

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/29/2008 9:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mind is struggling to comprehend the implications of such a title. Your eloquence inspires me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2008 9:57pm

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O, well is there at least someone to fill the void?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast