Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 3:32am

Style: BJJ and MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    So, they call themselves Karate, but they are really training in Muay Thai and BJJ?
    Yup, one of my trainers was actually contacted about teaching thier students how to teach but he declined. This was a few years ago.

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 9:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    So, they call themselves Karate, but they are really training in Muay Thai and BJJ?
    Actually it's MMA....western boxing punches, MT kicks and submission grappling in a Karate (Kyokoshin) wrapper <by wrapper I mean uniforms, belts, dojo, etc,>

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 9:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk411
    They've done a lot better than I expected in no gi tournaments in the last 2 years. They sometimes place, rarely win but hell, thats still a lot better than most schools deriving from Karate can say.

They have hired BJJ and Kickboxing coaches.

That Shannon Meceo guy looks decent. I've seen him fight 3 times. His rescent loose was due to lack of experience and they clearly underestimated his opponent.

They do well int he local Amateur MMA shows and D'aguste does well in the women divisions. I'm still waiting for one of them to step up and fight in a larger show. I know how the smaller North Eastern shows are run and they definitely protect a lot of fighters and put ppl up against opponents with liitle to no experience.

Give them 3 years. I'm sure they're only going to get better.
    His opponent was also ranked #7 (MT) in the world. This was a big step up of Shannon and, while he lost a decision, I'm sure it was a good learning experience. I'd like to see him fight again soon.

Actually D'Aguste does well in MEN'S divisions, even better in female. She dominates female MMA. If one of the big shows decide to try a female match or two, she's an ideal candidate.

One our Long Island favorites is Mike Stine. Has been doing very well in regional events (RealityFighting LHW Champion) but has yet to be really tested. He needs a few fights with some real tough competition. If he continues on his current trajectory, he may make it to a big show in the not too distant future.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, one of my trainers was actually contacted about teaching thier students how to teach but he declined. This was a few years ago.
    I'd like to know who this was because, quite frankly, I dont believe it.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's really sick, the way they are perverting martial arts by teaching effective fighting techniques.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/07/2004 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol, if he still taught kata he would be THE MAN I would assume....

I'll leave you(like I've done about a hundred times before) with a quote from this website by Kirik Jenness, NAGA's commissioner:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirik
    I have reffed his guys in grappling and also in NHB (real rules - elbows and knees to the face, etc) and they are oustanding. They would walk through the best guys at 9 out of 10 schools.

If there is a problem with cost in realistic ma, it is people charging too little, not too much. A lot of tremendous fighters, who own gyms, are basicaly broke. Fights pay nothing either, almost always.

It bums me out.

If Tiger can make a very good living teaching realistic ma, then he is basically a hero.
    Kirik is the author if The Fighter's Notebook and he just might know what he's talking about.

You can read tnat quote here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=18299&page=4
    Last edited by PeedeeShaolin; 11/07/2004 12:13am at .
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2004 5:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeedeeShaolin
    I'd like to know who this was because, quite frankly, I dont believe it.
    Just like you said someone taught them wrestling and BJJ. Why don't you belive it??? I'm not saying it in a bad way. I'm just trying to clear up that TSK isn't using Karate in MMA. The same way Rorions son train Chute box in BJJ or any other school brings in and somone as a trainer. I know someone that was asked to train (they're not from Kioto btw).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2004 5:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punchingdummy
    His opponent was also ranked #7 (MT) in the world. This was a big step up of Shannon and, while he lost a decision, I'm sure it was a good learning experience. I'd like to see him fight again soon.

Actually D'Aguste does well in MEN'S divisions, even better in female. She dominates female MMA. If one of the big shows decide to try a female match or two, she's an ideal candidate.

One our Long Island favorites is Mike Stine. Has been doing very well in regional events (RealityFighting LHW Champion) but has yet to be really tested. He needs a few fights with some real tough competition. If he continues on his current trajectory, he may make it to a big show in the not too distant future.
    I haven't seen D Auguste do sub grappling tournament but I've seen a handfull of her MMA fights all of which she looked good in.

I've seen stine fight before too. He should fight Lance Everson now. That would be a good test for him.

I don't know if this is true but someone mentioned to me that Shannon didn't know that the guy he fought was ranked so high because he had no ranking in North America.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456