Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 3:08pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First limalama lesson

I've been doing the kempo thing for years, I'm currently a shodan... the head instructor at my school encourages us to learn as much as possible from as many people and styles as possible, so when a Limalama teached turned up, we started to learn his stuff. I'd watched some of their practice over the weeksn, Tuesday was my first time actually learning their style, specifically their first kata.

The kata were taught to us as a series of self-defense drills (of varying practicality, IMO, but at least one gets to understand the point), and did a great job of blending hand and foot techniques with some nice takedowns. I particularly liked their approach to kicking; some of it is orthodox, but just a plain "lift your leg" kind of kick is used in a couple of places as well.
    From a technique standpoint, I feel that this style imparts a lot of quality timing and movement principles very early on. To the extent an inexperienced player would recognize those principles, I'm not sure. Quite a respectable style...

X

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is Lima Lama actually? I've heard the name, but is it like a Hawaiian, or Polynesian MA, or a Kempo descendant or what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 7:10pm

Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL
    What is Lima Lama actually? I've heard the name, but is it like a Hawaiian, or Polynesian MA, or a Kempo descendant or what?
    As I understand it, it's Hawaiian in origin. I hear that it's the most popular martial art in Mexico, and is very popular with hispanics in the U.S.

The movements felt familiar to me, mostly from my kempo/kajukenbo work, some kung fu...

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little info on lima lama history

http://www.greenbaylimalama.com/HistoryPage.htm
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"