Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am really surprised at the lack of main stream press about this. I figured if there was a way to get MMA mentioned on Sportscenter (other than someone dying or Mike Tyson fighting) this would be it. But so far I haven't seen or read anything.

Maybe I'm off base, but I really don't give Rulon much of a chance. He's big, he's strong, and he can obiviously wrestle, but I think Yoshida is going to tap hit out with fairly little trouble. I hope I'm wrong but I see him like a Mark Hunt, able to power out of a submission or two but not really knowing prevent the attempt from ever happening. Rulon eventually might be able to become good at MMA but I think Yoshida is too much to chew for his first fight.

As for his long term potential, I also have a couple of concerns. One is his age. He's almost 35, that doesn't give him a whole lot of time to work with. Also he has it pretty sweet with the US Olympic Committe. He has a future in coaching and training the next generation of Olympians. That makes me think he might not be going into this as carrer change, but a single big payday.

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 11:12am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is how much attention do Olympians get in non Olympic years? Not much. Rulon will not draw major attention because he is not a major celebrity in non Olympic years. Now if they could get someone like, Kobe Bryant or Bret Farve, they would get some real attention. Kobe vs Vanderlei, I would like to see that.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an Olympic year! The Olypmics were just over two months ago. We was just in the news, one of the major storys of the Olympics, it's not like the last time anyone heard of him was two years ago.

I know what you meant, but by my point is a story about how Rulon is following up his bronze medal win with a run in MMA isn't out of the question.

Posted On:
    11/06/2004 3:00pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is an Olympic year sure, but it's post Olympics. If they had announced this in July it would have gotten major run. But now the news media has moved on, the Red Sox, the elections, basketball starting. I am not disagreeing it should be getting run, just pointing out that to the American news media this is not a big story.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234