Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    Travesty? *snort* Look, no one is excited by a win by stalling. But first, stalling in Greco ain't like lay and pray in sub wrestling. It still takes lots of energy and Rulon tired Karelin out. After, Karelin looked tired and Rulon was turning cartwheels. Second, Rulon beat him fair and square. Karelin wasn't robbed by a bad judges decision or anything like that. And third, Rulon is legit. That win over Karelin wasn't a fluke. He wrestled a tough match to face Karelin in the Gold medal round and came back this year to win bronze. Is Rulon the wrestler Karelin was overall? No. But he deserved that medal and he is one of America's top wrestlers period.
    I was trying to be funny, Matt, and you almost ruined it. Fortunately your kneejerk nationalistic response was funny enough to keep it going.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How was my post nationalistic? Because I said he was one of America's top wrestlers? He is. Our wrestling program here in the states is sub-par compared to the rest of the world. By medaling in 2 Olympics he is one of our top wrestlers.

Now, I could see if I had started going off on "Ruskies" or something, but come on. You're slipping, man.

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 10:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How was my post nationalistic? Because I said he was one of America's top wrestlers? He is. Our wrestling program here in the states is sub-par compared to the rest of the world. By medaling in 2 Olympics he is one of our top wrestlers.

Now, I could see if I had started going off on "Ruskies" or something, but come on. You're slipping, man.
    Because Rulon's AMER-KUHN-NESS is the only reason you got so unhinged about a joke, and missed the staggering self-parody in my wholly ironic post.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 10:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer Amer-KA-ness, thank you. Otherwise, I think my feelings can best be summed up by a line from Malcom X, delivered by the great Denzel Washington.

*get's into character*

"Alright. Forget about it. ... But you slippin' Archie. You done slipped."

Also, congrats on the psychic powers.

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 10:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And don't make me have to add a smiley to that last comment, Wastrel. You're above that.

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 10:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer Amer-KA-ness, thank you. Otherwise, I think my feelings can best be summed up by a line from Malcom X, delivered by the great Denzel Washington.

*get's into character*

"Alright. Forget about it. ... But you slippin' Archie. You done slipped."

Also, congrats on the psychic powers.
    They're not psychic powers. They're highly developed mental faculties that are natural and provable by science. Partially the result of hundreds of years of selective breeding, partially cultivated by participation in a government program to create a mental version of Captain America.

And don't make me have to add a smiley to that last comment, Wastrel. You're above that.
    Quite right.

Grandmaster of Ou-chi!

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MUT
    I don't know if he'll be able to develope submission defence by then......Yoshida obviusly isn't a top striker but he went the whole way with Silva without getting drilled by a knee or a punch so hes got the advantage there. They both have the best clinch games....I dunno it seems to me Rulon's only advantage is size.
    Obviously, the bloodly nose Yoshida got was from breathing hard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 12:09am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know Gardner is not training in Gresham. Should be cool but I don't know what kinda of sub defense he is going to have. It has equal chances of being an awesome fight and a total crapfest.

God I hope this gets some mainstream media attention.

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 6:05pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Travesty? *snort* Look, no one is excited by a win by stalling. But first, stalling in Greco ain't like lay and pray in sub wrestling. It still takes lots of energy and Rulon tired Karelin out. After, Karelin looked tired and Rulon was turning cartwheels. Second, Rulon beat him fair and square. Karelin wasn't robbed by a bad judges decision or anything like that. And third, Rulon is legit. That win over Karelin wasn't a fluke. He wrestled a tough match to face Karelin in the Gold medal round and came back this year to win bronze. Is Rulon the wrestler Karelin was overall? No. But he deserved that medal and he is one of America's top wrestlers period.

not to mention he broke his wrist 2-3 months before the olympics(04) in a motocycle crash. he atributted his wrestling skills to saving his life in the accident. he beat karelin in 00 and it wasnt a travesty is wasnt a fluke, was rulon better than karelin, right then yes. but overall i think we all know karelin was the best up tell that point. he hadnt lost in what 20 years up till there. and it had been 11 years or so since anyone had scored on him, so you saying it was a fluke or stalling just makes karelin look bad.
    Last edited by Bizzaro Root; 11/05/2004 6:08pm at .
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 6:13pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    He won the bronze last time on stalling as well. That's his entire game plan. Push and stall, wait until the other guy is tired from attacking then win by a point.
    so he plays by the rules gets points when people get tired and then wins on those points. thats like saying that the yankees are stalling by getting one point in the first inning and then pitching around all the good players and getting outs and then winning on that one point lead.

your whining about him wearing down opponents and then winning on points, **** thats what wrestling is.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast