Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tiger Schulmann to be inducted into NAGA's "Grappling Hall of Fame"

The North American Grappling Association, the largest and most competitive circuit in the Untied States, is inducting 8 people into its newly created Hall of Fame on Saturday, January 22nd.

THE GRAPPLING HALL OF FAME

Grappling has grown at an extraordinary pace over the past decade. In order to recognize the efforts that made it possible, the Grappling Hall of Fame has been inaugurated.

The mission of the Grappling Hall of Fame is to honor men and women, past and present, who by their deeds as fighters, trainers, officials, and/or contributors, and by the example of their lives, personify the great sport of Grappling, and to enshrine such individuals in the National Grappling Hall of Fame.
    The inductees include:

Royce Gracie

Renzo Gracie,

Tiger Schulmann

Bob Schirmer

Lloyd Irvin

Romero "Jacare" Cavalcante

Ricardo Liborio

The event is going to include a ceremony and banquet. You can read more about it here:

http://www.nagafighter.com/hof_mission.asp
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

well of course!

From Schulmann's site: "Drawing upon his exceptional technique, speed, and non-quitting spirit, Tiger Schulmann reigned as the undefeated North American knockdown champion for six consecutive years."

Two things I like here

1) Non-quitting spirit. Does this remind anyone of the Outstanding Achievement Award in the Field of Excellence? I know that it reminds me of my own thoughts on not giving up-ed-ness.

2) North American knock down champion. 6 years running no less. Has anyone else noticed that people aren't even trying to come up with realistic sounding fake titles? You could always count on people to give you a "World Grandmaster Full Contact Kumite Champion, Heavyweight Division" or a "U.S. Military and Law Enforecement Guys Thing Golden Gloves Tournament." Now it's just knockdown champion.

Sigh.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm, are you saying that claim is false? If so, please provide evidence.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 8:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

the pudding

I searched two different search engines and got no hits for "North American knockdown ... " except for Schulmann's claim of said championship.

Further a search of Lexis-Nexis show no public documents or news stories about it either.

He did get sued in 2003 by the NY Attorney General for violation of the NY state laws regarding franchises:

The owner of New York's largest karate school agreed yesterday to pay $195,000 in penalties and costs to register the school as a franchise, settling civil charges brought by Attorney General Eliot L. Spitzer, pictured. Daniel Schulmann, the owner of Tiger Schulmann's Karate Centers, had been charged with violating several state laws. He had denied that the 35 karate centers he operated constituted a franchise, even though the centers used the same logos and pooled their money for advertising, Mr. Spitzer said. Steve Bosyk, a spokesman for the centers, which have their headquarters in Paramus, N.J., said the karate school had agreed to settle the case as an alternative to a more costly lawsuit. (AP)

And again in 2000, to the tune of $231,000.

He was also sued for about $40,000 in NYC for violation of state "bait and switch" laws.

But no, no mention of the knockdown thing.

- Hedgehoney

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 8:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And my other claim was that the knockdown championship and non-quitting spirit just sounded funny to me. Which I can provide no evidence for except I can personally assure that I laughed when I read it.

- Hedgehoney

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 9:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That championship was actually the kyokushin championship but since you're too stupid to know the real term I'll coin it for you:

"North American Mas Oyama Full-Contact Karate Champion".

I'll explain because you obviously know painfully little about martial arts. Another guy who started training because the UFC looked cool....

Schulmann is a black belt under Mas Oyama himself. I really doubt you would have ANY knowledge of kyokushin or bare knuckle karate.

Since Schulmann was champion from 1979 to 1984 this might not be on the internet. In fact, I'm not sure if you can find ANY results from that time frame on the net.
    I've actually seen plenty of these videos but thats beside the point.

What you wouldn't know(because your a noob) is that those competitons had no weight class back then. You ALSO wouldn't know that Schulmann was only 17 when he first won. Back then it was a feat unequalled.

Schulmann represented the United States in the World Open Full Contact Karate Championship(kyokushin) in Tokyo Japan. This was 1979 and he was both the youngest AND lightest fighter in the tournament. Schulmann has since graduated into an instructor who trains one of the most successfull MMA teams on the East coast and probably THE most successfull grappling team.

Take a nice long look at the names next to his that are being inducted here after you pull your head out of your ass. A couple of them might be a bit familiar to anyone who has any knowledge of grappling or martial arts in general.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

***ned

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 9:11pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get off his fucking nuts you fucking whore.

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 9:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should I instead be on your nuts? A loser who's accomplished....oh...NOTHING in the world of martial arts?

I would say some of the children Schulmann teaches have done more in competition than you have....and they aren't even 15 yet LMAO!

Does that make you feel like even MORE of a loser? Maybe not, but only because its hard to go any lower than zero now isn't it?

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 9:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It must reeeeeally grip your nuts that a former KARATE guy is being inducted next to Royce Gracie, Renzo and Ricardo Liborio huh?

Hey...you study BJJ right Deus? Is your instructor on that list?

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    11/04/2004 9:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ....didn't think so........

I wonder if he's ever been mentioned in the same sentence as any of those guys?

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast