Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 5:16am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol oh ok, that's kinda weird. Anyway yeah, I've thought about that, but I'm only about 2 years into MA training, so by the time I'm good enough to actually become an instructor and/or open up my own school, I'll be like 42, so I can't really START my life's work at 42. I thought about maybe just becoming a cop like I had already planned, but keep training, so by the time I retire from the force which will be when I'm 42 if I get the job next month, I'll be advanced enough in MA to open up my own school. I was just hoping there was something else I could do in the meantime rather than be a cop for 20 years and not be so happy with it and then start what makes me happy when I'm 42. I mean if there were a MA related job I could get that I could live off of until I become good enough to open up my own school, I would love that. I'm not asking for much, I don't wanna be famous or rich or whatever. I just wanna have enough to get by.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 6:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you knew that THAT is what you wanted to do at 20 then there's no reason why you need to wait to be 40 to teach. Just take your training seriously and make it a lifestyle priority NOW. It may take you untill your 20 to economically self sufficient teaching but you could be assistant instructing in just a couple more years and be ready to open a school by the time your 30. 12 years is a hell of a lot of training if you do it for real instead of as a hobby that you squeeze in between your other hobbies and your job.

In 2 more years you could be teaching a class at a gym.

In 5 years you could have your own group of students paying you monthly dues directly.

If you are good with kids then that's an awfully big income stream right there and the parents are more likely concerned with their kids safety and your personal character than some kind of super elite claim to mastery of the style. Just pop into a few random Dojo's around town and take a look at who's teaching. 20 year masters are the exception, not the rule. You could also set up your "school" to be structured more like a martial arts club. ie. like gym where people pay dues just to come and work out. There's heavy bags, extra gloves, thai pads, maybe a ring or at least some mats in the corner and instruction available in various styles of fighting. You don't even have to set yourself up as the "top instructor" just one of the instructors.

And btw, your "life's work" as you called it .. . . if it IS teaching MA....doesn't start when you open a school. It started when you started training.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 8:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MA "related" careers:
    Law Enforcment
    Executive Protection
    Military
    MA Instructor

MA "related" Jobs:
    Bouncer
    Stunt Man
    Pro Fighter

Or something to that effect.

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 9:10am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could always learn some cool wushu moves, they like that stuff in hollywood very much.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 9:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    If you knew that THAT is what you wanted to do at 20 then there's no reason why you need to wait to be 40 to teach. Just take your training seriously and make it a lifestyle priority NOW. It may take you untill your 20 to economically self sufficient teaching but you could be assistant instructing in just a couple more years and be ready to open a school by the time your 30. 12 years is a hell of a lot of training if you do it for real instead of as a hobby that you squeeze in between your other hobbies and your job.

In 2 more years you could be teaching a class at a gym.

In 5 years you could have your own group of students paying you monthly dues directly.

If you are good with kids then that's an awfully big income stream right there and the parents are more likely concerned with their kids safety and your personal character than some kind of super elite claim to mastery of the style. Just pop into a few random Dojo's around town and take a look at who's teaching. 20 year masters are the exception, not the rule. You could also set up your "school" to be structured more like a martial arts club. ie. like gym where people pay dues just to come and work out. There's heavy bags, extra gloves, thai pads, maybe a ring or at least some mats in the corner and instruction available in various styles of fighting. You don't even have to set yourself up as the "top instructor" just one of the instructors.

And btw, your "life's work" as you called it .. . . if it IS teaching MA....doesn't start when you open a school. It started when you started training.

Wow, you really think I'd have a chance for all that if I put all my energy into it? I mean just the thought of a kind of club with different MA training and equipment and weight training, that would be like a dream. I've seen some gym classes before, those guys are never like masters or something, it can't be that hard to do. I guess if I wanted to take college courses to better my chances, I could take physical education courses and weight training courses, to help qualify me for the kids stuff like you said, and to be more knowledgable about physical fitness and stuff. That seems like a really good idea. I'm definitely gonna look into this and find out as much as possible. Thanks Omar.
    Last edited by KuNg FooL; 11/03/2004 9:16am at .

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always get a BA in Martial Arts:

http://www.bridgeport.edu/pages/3372.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 10:29am

Style: Karate/Kempo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its aweful hard to make a living as a MA teacher. You put in some long hours for peanuts. That is why there are so many McDojos out there, people trying to make a good living teaching MA.
    You have to cater to the public, little Johnny Moms gonna be on your case if he gets inna fight and kicks some ones but.
    Little Johnnies dadis gonna be on your case if he gets inna fight a looses.

little Johnnies Mom and Dad are gonna use you for a babysitting service

Little johnny, little suzie and freddy ect ect parents are gonna try to find ways to juke ya out of paying you the dues......

You'll be the adults psyche counselor as well as little johnnies guidence counsellor

basically its a lot of work for what your gonna get paid. go be a cop, teach PT first and see how it goes.

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: MMA (and others)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train, go to college at the very least get yourself an AA/AS. Then when you have reached a point where you feel comfortable in your training and your instructor(s) give thier blessing, open your own gym. At the very least have something to do outside the MA, If you are going to be a cop then be a cop. The point is leave yourself options for the future, If (god forbid) you are injured/paralyzed (sp?) or in any way cannot continue in the MA you have something else to fall back on. The world is full of people that have tried, failed, and didn't have a backup plan. Your young enough you can figure it out. Follow your dreams, but plan, definitly plan. Also as a side note; if you only use MA for fighting your missing a few things there.
    [A friend once told me he found Jennifer Connelly hot.
    "Would she still be hot if she were melting in a car wreck, like at the end of Pollock, smelling of burnt hair and bubbling intestines?" I asked.
    "Oh hell yeah."
    "How? How would you even have sex with her?"
    "Just let her cool and fold her over, like an omolette."
    Since then we've always had this universal sign for Jennifer Connelly, it's like an "opening a book" motion, only backwards. And we are often known to softly remark "....like an omolette".]--boyd

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 10:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what kind of college courses would better qualify me for opening up a place like that? I mean I would think courses on physical education and physical fitness and all that stuff, but what else would help?

game dog

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 11:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any chance to become a MA instructor for the police?
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast