thaiboxerken nailed the correct

Genius

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I got in a situation against multiple people, I'd try to run. If not, I'd find a weapon. I'd also try to stay standing so I can run away if opportunity arises. However, groundfighting is still a good skill to learn to help accomplish those goals and help survive if/when it does go to the ground.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop squicking my thread.

TCDD, your questions have already been answered. Do a search, Genius Mcgillicuddy.

Stop arguing and get back to the questions.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question, how do you grapple/strike someone that is really fat? they have multiple layers of padding that (I think) makes it difficult.

I'm being completely serious here.

Genius

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 10:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not too much different, the belly might be a little more padded, but most other targets don't have enough fat on them to make much of a difference. Grappling them is close to the same thing, though you might have to take a side-mount instead of the standard mount. Then again, fat guys are usually out of shape and will be done fighting by the time you break a sweat.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 10:08pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    multiple attackers... hmm

having a ground game is always a asset

i never had a ground game but niether did the people i was fighting.. which was fortunate for me.. being on the ground against multiple opponents was not a pleasent experience and I found I was better of standing

what boogyman says is correct in that you create space by acting quickly against individuals in the group with whatever it is you do and you better be good at it... you want to destroy any notion of co-ordination in there behaviour as then you have the luxuary to take them on in a piecemeal situation

the issue here for the gr4ppl3 thing is that shooting one of them strikes as a unwise thing to do..

there is a large body of video evidence that shooting appears to be the ultimate trump card in that if you have a high degree of skill in it (and on the ground) your standup need only be of a crude but effective in nature and you will still have the skills to take out better trained strong guys who could beat you in the stand upif that is were the game stopped...

if I had this in my back pocket back then I still find it unlikley I would choose to take someone out of a group to the ground

HOWEVER there is some anecdotal evidence it has been done and furthermore i do not feel qualified to comment on how quickly you could move from the shoot to the ground and back up again or if there is a way to fight from the ground anyway.

for purposes of the FAQ it is not enough to say fighting multiple opponents is not possable in any style so it is irrelevent as this is not true.

what is true ... i think ..... is that the many things you need to know about fighting multiple opponents are true of ALL styles anyway so to claim TKD or whatever is better than bjj vs multiple opponents is only true of the individuals being compoared in knowledge/experience.

the question in FAQ is really answered by a question... wtf would you do in your system that helps fight multiple opponents? as the answer to fighting multiple opponents is largley a issue of psychology.. without the ability to crack them mentaly they will just take you out unless you are some sort of superdude.... if they are acting in some co-ordinated fashion your chances must be extremley slim in my estimation..

look at it another way what if its true and bjj groundfighting is dumb vs multiples

even if after analysis it is found you do not go to the ground in a multiple opponent situation this isn't a reason not to be able to do it one to one where it has been demonstraed as a real fight winning method... if other stylists insist that it is no good against multiples (and are correct) then it follows that is all they are trainning for as it is demonstrated that having NO ground game is dumb vs someone who does.

they have to conceed this is the only rational for fighting and they are at a DISADVANTAGE fighting one on one vs a grappler over fighting multiple opponents

thats it... unless you have some solid technical reason why fighting on the ground vs multiples is a good idea the best argument for those who refuse to accept groundfight trainning as a new reality is that they by default must look for multiple opponent standup fights as they are admitting a disadvantage one on one!

Boris
    London

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 10:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    It's not too much different, the belly might be a little more padded, but most other targets don't have enough fat on them to make much of a difference. Grappling them is close to the same thing, though you might have to take a side-mount instead of the standard mount. Then again, fat guys are usually out of shape and will be done fighting by the time you break a sweat.
    That said, I took down a 120kg guy in practice once, and I thought something was going to break when he landed partially on me. Then he rolled over me and I felt like a pancake. :(

Genius

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 10:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that can happen with any heavy person, not just the fat ones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 10:58pm

Style: Bjj/kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    That said, I took down a 120kg guy in practice once, and I thought something was going to break when he landed partially on me. Then he rolled over me and I felt like a pancake. :(

This won't be a problem for an experienced grappler.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 11:42pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by traditionaltom
    I have a question, how do you grapple/strike someone that is really fat? they have multiple layers of padding that (I think) makes it difficult.

I'm being completely serious here.
    The only difference that I find when I grapple larger people is that I have problems with the anaconda thing when I take the back. If they're big enough that you can't close your guard or mount them or anything...they're probably about to keel over from a heart attack anyway.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast