I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 1:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    Not to defend grappling per say, but the other day as I walked from one location to the next :walk: , I could not help but notice the distinct lack of broken glass, needles, and other harmful objects people seem to be sooo concerned about. I did see gum stuck to the sidewalk and lots of paper of various sizes lying about and even dangerous blades of soft grass everywhere!!! :new_Eyecr

This worst-case scenario of "broken beer bottles and hypodermic needles" littered about as you're being assaulted makes one believe that these people have spent too much time hanging around urine-soaked alleyways and smelly dumpsters. My advice folks, stop hanging around those areas and when you are attacked, you won't have to worry about needles and broken pieces of glass. :happy4:

Another helpful hint from the Illustrious Kungfoolss
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorinjikempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xango

Shuai-Jiao and Sanshou

These must be included because of the sheer number of permitted takedowns and throws. Each lacks in groundwork completely. Sanshou is particularly well adapted for using grappling against striking techniques, and has several kick-counter throws which every well-rounded fighter should be acquainted with. Shuai-Jiao is mostly taught as stand-up wrestling, although there are schools of 'combat' Shuai-Jiao where striking is incorporated. Groundwork does not exist in this world; seek for it elsewhere.
    I posted on this yesterday but it seems to be lost.

I donīt agree on the gruondwork part.
    The Shua Chiao that I have been in contact with in sweden (Stockholms Wushu Akademi) does include groundwork. When they compete they can win by points (by throwing) or tap out (when doing groundwork).

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 6:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While interesting, that is exceptional. The rules of Shuai-Jiao are very old, and well-known in Asia; they DO NOT allow for any groundwork whatsoever.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 7:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad that they donīt have their whole site in english, because they describe their rules there.

http://www.swewushufed.se/
    Last edited by Cato; 2/15/2005 7:12pm at .

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although this talks about Mongolian wrestling, the rules are typical for Chinese Shuai Jiao also:

Mongolian Wrestling
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 7:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe they have adapted groundfighting recently, I donīt know, I donīt train there. =)

Posted On:
    3/26/2005 5:28pm

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get the impression that this isn't really a FAQ, but more of an elaborate fantasy designed to explain why grappling is The Ultimate Unstoppable Art (makes sense, since BJJ is quite fashionable at the moment) and how sportsfighting is actually the same as street fighting (based on what I've read here, most people don't even seem to believe that you can actually get attacked outside the dojo) and how striking is ultimately useless. The "FAQ" also seems to operate on the proposition that the situation (whatever it is) will be grappler vs. striker. For some reason.

Posted On:
    3/26/2005 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    You're a moron. Please stop posting.
    I know, I know: BJJ is above mere mortals, it cannot be criticized, nor can its status as a universal, all-powerful hyper art be questioned.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    3/27/2005 12:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    I don't even do BJJ.
    Don't mind TR, he got upset when I ripped on his fat RBSD idol Marc McYoung.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Posted On:
    3/27/2005 4:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kungfoolss
    Don't mind TR, he got upset when I ripped on his fat RBSD idol Marc McYoung.
    This has nothing to do with your trolling at the reviews section, and I certainly have never claimed that MM is my idol.
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast