Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 3:26pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Wow n00bs mocking n00bs...

If you truely had been lurking you would know that we already know everything you just posted. Try dropping these pearls of wisdom on Gamefaqs instead.

STFU n00b... Welcome to Bullshido.
    Please define "truely (sic) lurking" for the benefit of all. I hope you don't mean "truly" as in "A truly trained person would never...." Or "A true martial art is one that...." Or "If you truly believe in Santa Claus..." Or any other such indefinable term that you choose to use to make yourself sound smarter than you are. :toothy4:

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    truely == really... he meant that if you had lurked as you had stated (and understood what you had read) your wouldn't have written that post.
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    I totally agree you need to control the knife first. But if you're in anything less than knee-on-stomach or mount before you have a deathgrip on that knife then I hope you're wearing hockey shorts. Standing up, clinching is not at all the same as controlling the knife.
    I certainly understand your point, and the fact that I'm debating someone who probably has a lot more jiu-jitsu experience than myself isn't lost on me.... However...

I've done "knife drills" standing up in my martial arts past, and I have a small amount of BJJ experience. I just think that I have far more control over my opponents ENTIRE BODY on the ground. When standing, if I grab my opponents wrist (the one with the knife, duh) with both hands, he still has use of his legs and his other arm to attack me or try to free the knife. But on the ground I can control at least his legs, and maybe his arm, with my legs, and can better neutralize his attempts to prevent me from taking away his knife.

Genius

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, but on the ground, you can't jump away from the knife it you lose control of it, can you? You can't run away very easily, either.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 3:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Yea, but on the ground, you can't jump away from the knife it you lose control of it, can you? You can't run away very easily, either.
    This is of course absolutely true. But please refer to my first post where I said that running away isn't an option.

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But then I ask you to look at my Ground n' Pound example. Hell, even someone trying to hit you from under mount becomes a threat once a blade is involved. You need control of that knife before you hit the ground and even then I'd rather be standing.

Genius

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said before, get a training dagger and try it for yourself. Standing up, you will get cut a little, maybe a small stab, but if you are decent, you'll eventually get control of the knife.

On the ground, you're more likely to get a deep stab or five.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 4:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Like I said before, get a training dagger and try it for yourself. Standing up, you will get cut a little, maybe a small stab, but if you are decent, you'll eventually get control of the knife.

On the ground, you're more likely to get a deep stab or five.
    I'm sure you are correct. In fact, I'd really like to try this.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pretty much the only time you should go to the ground in empty hand vs. knife is if you have solid control over the knife hand/arm before, during and after the trip downwards. even then, it may not be the best course of action unless the ground position will allow for an armlock to help dislodge the knife from the attacker's hand. this of course trivializes the difficult part, namely controlling the hand/arm with the pointy-slashy-thingie.

oh, and STFU n00b. your "ninj4s suck H4rh4RH4r, BJJ pwns you, WTF t00 d34dly. dumb kungfools" intro is trite, pandering, weak and should be removed from your post count.
    Last edited by Locu5; 11/02/2004 5:05pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12