Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 1:16pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

nOOb Observations

SEARCH FUNCTION n00b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one!!1111

There, I beat you bastards to it. Ha ha ha.

Seriously though. I've been lurking here for a while and occasionally posting. I'd like to point out a few things that I haven't seen before, if I may.

We've all seen Bullshidoka who claim they literally CAN'T spar because their techniques are t3h d34dly. They would be unable to spar on a sportive level because they have no control over the outrageously deadly techniques they know, and people would get hurt/killed, even at a controlled sparring level. We all instantly recognize this argument as pure Bullshido.

But I HAVEN'T seen mentioned the people who claim that anyone who wishes to test skill by sparring is CHALLENGING them to a fight to the death. Kungfoolss is an example of this. He doesn't claim that his techniques are such that his opponents would face certain death (ok, maybe he does), but rather that he is UNWILLING to "fight" at any level other than 100%, full on trying to kill people. This is sort of another version of the argument above, and is also absolute Bullshido.

One more point about t3h lava/ glass/ alligators/ weapons/ multiple opponents etc that people claim make it unwise to take a street fight to the ground. As a BJJ student, I can't imagine a place I'd rather put my opponent than on his back in glass or lava. People always assume that the groundfighter will be the one fighting from his back, but in virtually every instance I've seen of trained grappler vs. untrained grappler, it's the untrained guy who ends up with his back to the ground. In this case, as the trained (ok, I suck, but I'm learning) grappler, the glass and lava are now my very close friends.

As far as weapons go, I'd rather fight a guy with a knife on the ground, I think. That is of course, if running away is not an option from the get-go. I would rather use my hips to controll his body, and use BOTH hands on the weapon, which the ground allows you to do.

Please understand that I'm in no way a BJJ nut hugger, or saying that gr4ppling pwn3s all other MAs. I'm just refuting some points that I constantly see from the RBSD types and their allies.

Thanks for listening.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 1:25pm

Style: Pugilism

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SEARCH FUNCTION n00b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one!!1111

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clinching with sharp things is bad. You have to clinch to take someone down. Therefore, ground-fighting a knife is not an option.

Ever been grounded and pounded from the guard? Imagine that those irritating empty-hand blows to your ribs and thighs are now individually lethal.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 11/02/2004 1:49pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 1:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow n00bs mocking n00bs...

If you truely had been lurking you would know that we already know everything you just posted. Try dropping these pearls of wisdom on Gamefaqs instead.

STFU n00b... Welcome to Bullshido.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you on most things except the knife grappling. That is the absolute worst thing you could ever do. Think for a moment, how do you know he has a knife? If he pulls it out while standing, then you have to clinch with him WHILE HE'S HOLDING A BLADE and take him down? Better be a flawless takedown too, or you're fucked there also. And if the knife isn't out when you take him down, then it will come out when you don't see it, and it doesn't matter how superior your position is when the blade you didn't see goes into your thigh, chest, or neck.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Genius

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever grappled with a training dagger? Perhaps you should try, n00b, and you'll understand why most of us don't think grappling on the ground with a knife is a good thing.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you guys propose one do when faced by a knife? Kick it out of his hand? Karate chop to the wrist? LOL. You HAVE TO grapple. You must gain control of the weapon/weapon arm. Every legit empty hand vs weapon defense I've ever seen involves some sort of grappling.

Genius

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But not on the ground, kid.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    What do you guys propose one do when faced by a knife? Kick it out of his hand? Karate chop to the wrist? LOL. You HAVE TO grapple. You must gain control of the weapon/weapon arm. Every legit empty hand vs weapon defense I've ever seen involves some sort of grappling.
    "I'd rather fight a guy with a knife on the ground"

Not standing, the ground.

THE GROUND MATT W. THE GROUND WHERE HE HAS CLAWS
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally agree you need to control the knife first. But if you're in anything less than knee-on-stomach or mount before you have a deathgrip on that knife then I hope you're wearing hockey shorts. Standing up, clinching is not at all the same as controlling the knife.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast