221990 Bullies, 4113 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    Most BJJ schools will laugh at you if you go once a week for an hour. Our guys don't take you seriously unless you're in at least three times a week for the 90min-120min classes.
    Talk about bullshit.

How bout the people who would struggle to go even once a week, but they still make it?
    Those who can't afford to go more than once?

What a sorry attitude.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't charge per class; it's a flat rate for one year.

I struggle to make it even twice a week and my instructor knows that school is more important, but back when they asked me to compete this coming Sunday I was in close to five nights a week. I doubt I would be asked now. Next week my contract is up and I'm not renewing until after exams, and he is fine with that.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 12:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I agree, when I first started, going to one 2 hour lesson a week, my instructor said 'come as many times as you can, it will be more beneficial, I can work with you more closely, you won't get much if you only come once a week.'

It was never a case of 'point and laugh at the guy who hasn't got the time or money to come more than once. '
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hombre
    Hi, I'm really considering joining this BJJ school near my place. It's in Pasadena, California, run by two brothers named Rigan and Roger Machado. I bought a book written by Rigan Machado, and their brother, Jean-something Machado is apparently well known in BJJ?
    The Machado’s are highly respected in the BJJ world. If I could recommend any BJJ place to train at in Cali it would be with one of the Machado brothers. They respect other styles and none have the arrogance of many places too.

Mostly I just want to join so I have a decent chance of defending myself out there, and this style seems very reality based, and this forum seems really into that. I'm a SMALL guy. About 5'2'', 110 pounds…
    Wow, and I thought I was small! I’m 5’-6” and between 135 to 140 lbs. I did BJJ for a number of years and it was a positive experience. It is a good art for smaller people as it relies on leverage. You’ll need to work on your other attributes though such as speed, flexibility and smarts to get really good.

I'm more worried about the legalities of a fight than the actual fighting (another reason I'm attracted to this grappling method).
    Hmmm… not sure about this. A fight on the street is ugly and just knowing BJJ will do nothing to help litigation. It won’t be like the movies where you’ll put a guy to sleep, confrontation over and everyone is happy like Aikido or something. Better not to fight period and if you think you ever will than you might want to compliment your BJJ with a striking art.

So my questions and concerns are:

1.Does anyone have any experience with this particular school? I've tried doing searches and nothing specific comes up.
    Yes, top notch.

2) How long does it usually take to get "decent" enough at BJJ that most people would be considered proficient to apply it out in the real world? I know this of all things depends on the individual, but has ANYONE here felt they could more than handle themselves against the average joe after 3-4 months (I'm looking at the one hour a week class)? I don't intend to stay much longer after I feel I've got a significant advantage over the average guy.
    It takes awhile to get decent just like anything else. Yeah, I felt like superman after only 3-4 months till I got into a more advanced class and got smeared for the next several years. You only plan to train for 3-4 months? Then buy a handgun. MA is not for you. I’m serious… after 3-4 months of BJJ with the Machado’s you will have spent enough money to buy a gun for self defense and frankly you will forget it all within a year from the date you quit. It’s a perishable skill if done for such a limited time. Plus, sometimes the average guy beats the crap outa black belts...

3) In another thread, there seems to be a contention that BJJ people are the "bullies" of martial arts. I'm not worried about this per se, but I DO worry that some over-hyped guy might go ahead and crank a joint lock too far during practice. Mostly because I don't want to have to be sidelined from wushu, the thing I'm really dedicated to.
    BJJ’ers are not any more so bullies than any other dickhead in a MA. That being said, there is a chance of grappling a over-hyped guy. Although they tend not to last long at the Machado’s. I once had my collarbone separated from my sternum by an overzealous bodybuilder who was going apeshit ‘cause he couldn’t tap me out. Not fun!

4) How common are injuries during practice for most BJJ schools?
    Common enough if you train more than once a week. In fact, probably more so if you only train once or twice a week. This is not a MA for someone scared of injury. But then, neither was the wrestling you did…

Dangit I can't remember the last question. Anyways, like I said, I'm really not interested in getting into "real" martial arts, nor fighting or any of that. I don't intend to cross-train, as I heard that's what a lot of martial arts people do. I'm just really dedicated to modern wushu cuz it's fun, it lets me be creative, and I think it looks cool. I don't for a second think it's applicable. My wrestling skills are still ingrained in me, and after roughhousing with friends much bigger than me, it's apparently more applicable in real life than I originally thought. But after some "research," this BJJ seems like a really good option for my preferred style of self-defense.

You don’t wanna do a real martial art, you don’t want to cross train but you want to learn self-defense for the real world? Interesting… I’d say don’t waste your money. If your not dedicated you will not get far and you will get injured. I don’t mean any offense but for the price you’d pay it’s probably not worth it. I used to train with guys who leased space from the National Wushu Training Center in Huntington Beach. (Not sure if it exists anymore?) Anyway, most Wushu types were not the sort that would do well in very athletic MA’s. They would try our classes and never come back. (We did do some Vale Tudo though which is somewhat demanding... to say the least) You could be the exception… Totally different mentality though. Just know that BJJ is not “th3 d34dly” and 3-4 months won’t help too much on the street for practical self-defense. I don’t mean to sound negative but you don’t seem too motivated for a style that is demanding where pain is involved every time you spar. Try a class though... you may have a change of heart and all the negativity I just said will mean nothing. :5propelle
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 11/02/2004 12:07am at .
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    It was never a case of 'point and laugh at the guy who hasn't got the time or money to come more than once. '
    Perhaps my wording was bad. I was talking about serious/competitive students. The once-a-week guys just come in and get tapped non-stop by the guys who are there Monday through Thursday.

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 12:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, I can identify with that... That's why I go 4 times a week now.

No worries.
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 12:16am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, it seems like a gun or pepper spray course may be what you should look into instead of bjj.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 1:40am

Style: ninjudo-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that honestly did give me a better idea of what I'm thinking about. On the point of a gun, I'm about 99.9% sure I won't be going that route. I respect both sides of that debate and will leave it at that. As for pain, no, I'm not really afraid of that in and of itself, either. I sustained a really bad neck injury in wrestling when this guy threw me head down into the mat. Took me out for a few weeks. One thing wrestling has taught me is to deal well with physical pain and work with it. The main thing is I've got some high hopes for my wushu thing, and I really don't want to get injured. It's just permanent injury I'm worried about, not pain or bruises or anything. Has anyone here actually seen someone get a broken arm or something from an armbar during practice? Was it because of inexperience or you know, the guy was just kind of a jerk?

And oh, no disrespect to the BJJ guys here, but I'm really not interested in the sporting aspect of it at all. I'm going to try and make myself disinterested so it doesn't distract me from my other sport. I don't intend to compete in tournaments and I really won't mind if I get whipped around by the other BJJ guys either, as long as I can hold my own against an untrained person.

And all this made me remember another question: is 100 dollars for 4 one hour classes a month normal? My wushu thing works out to less than 5 dollars an hour, and I hear I go to one of the more expensive schools. They also have a 150 dollar a month deal for unlimited classes, but I honestly can't go more than once a week because their schedule conflicts directly with my academic classes.

On a sidenote, I actually did buy pepperspray because it seemed the best kind of defense where I'm sure I wouldn't get hit by a lawsuit, haha. And yeah, the city took away NWTC's lease to that great facility (so I heard), and they just moved to an old warehouse. I stopped by when I was looking for a wushu school down here.

Again, thanx to everyone for the advice. I'll try to post up what I see after I watch the class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:05am

Style: karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey shuma you're going to Joslin's? I'll be there for 142-162 beginners div... hope i don't get put in the 2 sec guillotine :(

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 4:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hombre
    I have a build much like Bruce Lee, funny enough as it is to say. I really do. Small, not bulky strong, just toned with little fat.
    No you don't. Seriously dude. This isn't meant to be flaming. But I'm a skinny **** myself, with only enough fat on my body to keep me alive for normal bodily functions. But being reasonably fit and skinny doesn't make one Bruce Lee. I hate bringing Bruce Lee into any post anyway, it's completely unproductive for ANY MA subject other than the fact that he did the whole JKD thinking. ? Like I said, not flaming, just had to react to the "I look like Bruce Lee and on a lesser note I deadlift 1000lbs" thingy.

But who am I to judge. Do post pictures of yourself and lee for comparison if you want ^^ Don't really know why I'm getting so wrapped up in this, but maybe because I go bonkers about Bruce Lee nutriders and I have an underlying fear you are one :(
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast