Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 10:58pm

Style: ninjudo-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Guy: How Are Most BJJ Schools?

OP erased. Thanx for the advice, but I like to remain anonymous, too.
    Last edited by hombre; 11/12/2004 6:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:20pm

Style: Sambo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hombre
    Hi, I'm really considering joining this BJJ school near my place. It's in Pasadena, California, run by two brothers named Rigan and Roger Machado. I bought a book written by Rigan Machado, and their brother, Jean-something Machado is apparently well known in BJJ?

Anyways, I've never taken a "real" martial arts (I do modern wushu. I bet that's like strike one against me in this kind of forum, huh? :icon_bigg ). I did pretty well in wrestling back in high school. Mostly I just want to join so I have a decent chance of defending myself out there, and this style seems very reality based, and this forum seems really into that. I'm a SMALL guy. About 5'2'', 110 pounds (told you I do wushu). I have a build much like Bruce Lee, funny enough as it is to say. I really do. Small, not bulky strong, just toned with little fat. I've never been in a "real" fight, as in hitting someone out of anger, though I have jumped into violent encounters, only to restrain the people fighting. I'm more worried about the legalities of a fight than the actual fighting (another reason I'm attracted to this grappling method).

So my questions and concerns are:

1) Does anyone have any experience with this particular school? I've tried doing searches and nothing specific comes up.

2) How long does it usually take to get "decent" enough at BJJ that most people would be considered proficient to apply it out in the real world? I know this of all things depends on the individual, but has ANYONE here felt they could more than handle themselves against the average joe after 3-4 months (I'm looking at the one hour a week class)? I don't intend to stay much longer after I feel I've got a significant advantage over the average guy.

3) In another thread, there seems to be a contention that BJJ people are the "bullies" of martial arts. I'm not worried about this per se, but I DO worry that some over-hyped guy might go ahead and crank a joint lock too far during practice. Mostly because I don't want to have to be sidelined from wushu, the thing I'm really dedicated to.

4) How common are injuries during practice for most BJJ schools?

Dangit I can't remember the last question. Anyways, like I said, I'm really not interested in getting into "real" martial arts, nor fighting or any of that. I don't intend to cross-train, as I heard that's what a lot of martial arts people do. I'm just really dedicated to modern wushu cuz it's fun, it lets me be creative, and I think it looks cool. I don't for a second think it's applicable. My wrestling skills are still ingrained in me, and after roughhousing with friends much bigger than me, it's apparently more applicable in real life than I originally thought. But after some "research," this BJJ seems like a really good option for my preferred style of self-defense.

Thanx for any help!

1. The Machados are very highly resepcected Jiu-jitsu players, I would certainly recomend the school.

2. You should probably start to feel confident in your skills after about a year, but without practice they will fade, after just a month off I was getting tapped by people I had no trouble with before.

3. BJJ guys often get a bad rap because they tend to be very put up or shut up in their approach to fighting, the same is true for most legit ma's who belive the proof is in the results, not in tradition. In Brazil there have been problems with people picking fights just because they knew they could win, but that's really the individual, not the system.

4. Injuries may happen, I've gotten my share of twists and strains, but if you're careful you should be okay, just rmember to tap before you get injured, you can stop the sparring at any time. Leave you're ego at home.

You're wrestling should also help a lot, giving you a good solid base, and a knowledge of takedowns, control and positioning.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:34pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hombre
    (I do modern wushu. I bet that's like strike one against me in this kind of forum, huh? :icon_bigg ).
    Correction, having the username 'hombre' is strike one! ASSHOLE!

Welcome to Bullshido. Can I do that yet?

Anyway.

I've only recently started BJJ myself and I can tell you, you're going to love it. I also had the intention of carrying on with my chinese martial art, until BJJ ended up taking all of my free time and focus...

1. Don't know much about the Machados, other than they seem to be well respected and their school is beating my school in the state championships at the moment here in Australia.

2. While a general confidence should show up in around 6 months, the thing that made me the most confident was the conditioning I was recieving almost as a by product of training. I can tell you, 4 years in Wing Chun and there was nothing as difficult as my first few sessions of BJJ... Your body takes quite a battering, but you get used to it soon enough. Also it is a real tough cardio workout, don't be surprised if you feel like you want to give up before the end of a session even without a lock or choke applied...

3. Find good people with nothing to prove to train with. I haven't found anyone who has rolled or caused injury to me maliciously... I think most people realise just how dangerous it can be to be reckless, and it is just as easy to do it to someone else as it is to happen to you.

4. You should be ok for injuries, unless you don't listen to your body when it is trying to tell you something. When you first start you will probably get pains all over. Don't forget to stretch before and after and drink lots of water.

Wrestling will help you with takedowns and defence against takedowns, so that's good.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:34pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please tell me this isn't a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:44pm

Style: karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah it does seem a bit trollish.... i mean most guys where i train BJJ are just like fine ppl (no sarcasm)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:46pm

Style: ninjudo-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can assure you I am not a troll. I'm going back tot he school tomorrow to see a real class, and making my decision then. If you mean my comment on the "bully," thing, I only got concerned about that after the video about the surfer. I don't imagine most BJJ people are like that, but I would like to ask and get anyonymous feedback from students over the internet where they are more likely to tell the truth.

And thanx for the answers!

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most BJJ schools will laugh at you if you go once a week for an hour. Our guys don't take you seriously unless you're in at least three times a week for the 90min-120min classes.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: MuayThai,Igo Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would they do that?

to prove how hard they are?

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're not really going to get much anything out of any martial art if you train less than that, and where I train we don't pretend otherwise.

The kicker is that I'm lucky to get in twice a week during nasty months at school.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MuayThai,Igo Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    Most BJJ schools will laugh at you if you go once a week for an hour. Our guys don't take you seriously unless you're in at least three times a week for the 90min-120min classes.

I always wonder how some of you guys find the money/ time.

On a similar note....how much does a private lesson count towards taht tally?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast