And empty hand?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were a couple of very skilled senior students. They would occasionally stop the class and allow one of the senior students to spar with Vladimir Vasiliev, at very close to full speed, to show everyone the application. That was impressive. I've been a member of several MA schools over the past 20 years, and I can only think of a handful of instructors who would suddenly drop everything and spar, full out, with a senior student, to explain a concept.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 10:49am

Style: dead

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience with Systema was pretty similar - however, I stopped going because I needed full contact experience - the students that had no other MA experience looked like they needed to put some gloves on. The guys that had bought into it all were pretty good, there were some ex boxers, aikidoka, BJJ etc etc and a few of them had really good movement.

The religion (Russian Orthodoxy) issue bothered me in the end too (Im not a Christian so I would never fully 'get it' - my impression although other infidels seemed fine to ignore the issue).

If you can train with Vladimer you should even if its just for 6 months - he is top of the tree and some of it should rub off. It was designed that you could learn the principles in a short time...

They have a different approach (not better or worse) and I still recommend it as the best art (where I live) to anyone who just wants 'self defence'.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 10:54am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shuma, when I did my trial class there, they did freestyle knife-work. I have very limited experience with knife defences (read: I did some bullshit ones in the first style I trained), but the methodology employed seemed to develop legit skill.

I'm going to repeat this one more time: If anyone in the Toronto area is marginally interested in what the hell the Systema people do, I definitely recommend going and taking the two trial classes ($15). It's well worth the price of admission.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 12:31pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry daddy dont play with knives it seems im alerrgic to sharp objects
    i bleed all over the place

but this guy sounds interesting maybe it isnt a load

thnx

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ".....Did you ask if they do freestlye knife work?"

Yes, we do. In fact everything is pretty much freestyle, in that there are no set attacks. There aren't usually any restrictions on the attacker, unless called for by a specific drill.
    Last edited by RobP; 11/02/2004 12:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 7:55pm

Style: Systema + SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad you went and found out for yourself, now you see I wasnt kidding about Vlad. Vlad is a killing machine, and I am 99.9% sure he is the best fighter in GTA.
    Although, word of advice, dont bring your wife to watch you train. I made that mistake myself once, shortly after we started class, vlad noticed her and politelly asked her to point out who she was watching, and she gladly pointed at me. Suffice to say the next 90 minutes were the most painfull of all my trainings days put together as Vlad demonstrated every single technique on me through out the class.

Next time you are over there, dont leave too soon, wait for the beatings with the massive wooden stick. Vlad likes to show how to control pain ;).
    I was able to hold 5 hits and I was out for the week lol.

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SubTerran
    beatings with the massive wooden stick.
    For some reason I consider this an incentive to train with him. That's entirely normal, right???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 10:00pm

Style: Systema + SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep quite normal, its an awesome adrenaline rush as well :).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 11:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Whatever works

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We did a bit of "blunt object conditioning" when I was at my Systema school as well. One day, we took hits to the stomache with an aluminum baseball bat. I got hit so hard I flew off my feet. It was fun.
    "I don't know about the issues, but Bush believes in jesus and he wears a cowboy hat so I'm voting for him. Also, he don't like them brown peoples that overcharge me at the 7-11 and he's a good christian man who likes family values."

This a compilation of what 99% of the fucking moronic suburbanite, expedition driving, bible beating, not good for anything other than breeding other stupid fucking suburban sheep who vote for Bush have as their rationale. I guess since we live in a nation of idiots, it's pretty fitting that we be led by one. Go Bush '04. Stick it to the middle class while you smile and praise jesus you're in charge. - spincycle0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12