Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Unarmored stickfighting event

Unarmored stickfighting event. Though you guys may get a kick out of it. They had spread the word a bit, and were a tad bit cryptic about it, but the video shows that even using just head gear changes the game quite a bit. Anyways, I was slightly dissappointed, they had been touting using 1.5"-2" diameter rattan, but instead they used the saner/traditional diameters. I personally think for unarmored (eg. no headgear), thinner rattan like they used works fine because the thicker rattan is intended for getting through head gear, no head gear no need for thicker rattan. It also seemed to be pretty much an internal Sayoc event (I couldnt really identify non-Sayoc members in the video but then I am not in the Sayoc group), and it seemed from the clip to be a pretty friendly affair. Eg. backyard training, lets not kill eachother type deally. Anyways, I give em props for stepping up and doing it, filming it, and then posting it online. There are so many stories, but it is nice to see vid.

http://sayoc.com/vidclips/stickgrappling01.mov

Genius

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd, at least, wear googles. I have sparred like this a couple times, with the tiny sticks and I have sparred with padded sticks and head gear/gloves. It's not much different, the game doesn't change much for intelligent people. The dumb guys never register hits to a helmet though, so I can see the need for some people to get whacked without a helmet.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree.
    At least wear a damn helmet. No need to get brain damage for nothing. But as ken said some people do need a whack in the head.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, the Sayoc Fighting System was looking damn good in that clip.

Two of those fellas were Neil Mendez and Felix Cortez. Both of those gentleman are pretty damn high up in the Sayoc System. Mad props to all who attended that event.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 5:49pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    I agree.
    At least wear a damn helmet. No need to get brain damage for nothing. But as ken said some people do need a whack in the head.
    pretty mad but is it for nothing.

they must have felt the need to know was worth the risk.

let them get on with it I say..
    looks painful

Boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 5:53pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    comment;

note the ability to fight while retreating

Boris
    london

Lord Of the Rhymes

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 10:08pm

Style: Pimpin/Tango-thanks Xango

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool fighting!
    Canuckyokushin:

These women can do back flips right over my head and still land on there feet .GRrrrrrrr!

THAT'S NOTHING, I USED TO KNOW SOME 12 YEAR-OLDS WHO COULD FIT INSIDE A SUITCASE AND STAY ALIVE FOR 7 OR WAS IT 6 HOURS

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 10:31pm

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks like the guy on the left at the end took a ratten to the right (his left) cheek.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing to remember, part of the reason they video taped and did this whole event is to dispell alot of the myths about no armor stick-fighting. Also note in the video, Tuhon Tom Kier is fighting. I am not a big Sayoc fan, nor a Dog Brothers fan, but he is the guy who broke Top Dog's arm (or was it his leg) at his first attendance of a gathering. As Hawkeye notes there are a number of other high ranking Sayoc guys fighting as well. These are not guys who are un-familiar with stick-fighting and FMA. Anyways, even "intelligent" people react sub-consciously to the presence of safety gear. I have seen countless fights where either head-gear, or a no head shot rule, creates fighters that lead with their heads. Through adrenaline, and particularly with cumbersome headgear limiting their vision, they do not see/feel hits to the head that un-armored would have dropped them.

Anyways, there are alot of myths out there about un-armored stick-fighting, eg. no head gear. Particularly the notion that removing the armor and that instantly equals death match. This video very much shows, that people can fight without armor, and not kill eachother. I was dissappointed about the lack of head-shots thrown in largo range, and cannot help but wonder if that was professional courtesy skewing the fighting environment, though without seeing the whole event it could just be due to the footage shown. It also did seem that they were going purposely light with their attacks. Then again, it could just be a fighting philosophy difference which is skewing my own observances.

Anyways, again what other un-armored full contact stick-fighting video is public? I give mad props to the Sayocs to putting their money where their mouths are and posting this video. We can all talk **** about the quality of their training, but they had the balls to post the results.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 6:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even more interesting then head shots are hand shots. Guro Crafty always questioned the effectiveness of an abenico strike to the hand and said that until people are willing to go without handgear the question would remain unanswered. On the sayoc website I think Tuhon Raf says that sometimes they will and sometimes they wont.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast