Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:21am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough. I wonder if some of the differences come from the above-mentioned 'too deadly to spar with' school of approach and the ensuing transition into "Did you just look in the direction of my mother's house? Get your sticks, puta!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:28am

Style: dead

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken

I've found Pentjak Silat to be pretty good, but it would be somewhat hard to spar with because it is very much geared towards breaking people. Yes, it is the classic "too deadly to spar with" argument, but you'll just have to see for yourself. Of course, you should always crosstrain with BJJ or some good grappling art as well.
    Silat is very good if done right. Like Ken said they just want to kill you. The school I know does full contact sparring and uses live blades for the seniors - behind closed doors (I've never seen it).

The Silat I have been shown reminds me of Ba Gua done 'spikey' and with a 'Im going to kill you' attitude.

check out Cliff Stewart and DeThouars

Do it.

RM

Genius

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some Silat systems look like karate, others like kali and some like muay thai. There really is a wide range of systems.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Jun Fan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silat is the Indonesian global term, it consists of many different styles. It's like saying
    they teach Karate. What type? There are types of Silat that include groundwork,
    weapons, throws, hard-styles, forms, weird flowery stuff, etc... Find out what type of Silat,
    or better yet, just go and try it out. There is synergy between some Silat styles
    and Kali (which also can be broken down into sub-styles) I think it's because they
    share a common theme and have not had the commercialization away from
    practicality that many styles have suffered. That's just my opinion and please
    correct me if I'm mistaken.
    It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 1:57pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'The Silat I have been shown reminds me of Ba Gua done 'spikey' and with a 'Im going to kill you' attitude.'

That sounds about right.

also realize that although Silat often it taught open handed, it is heavily blade aware. so keep the movements in a weapons context.

and it is definately a matter of style. there are many methods under the umbrella of the term Silat.

Peace.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 11:18am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    live blades hmmm... lemme sign up for that slaughter i mean class

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 4:00am

Style: Pencak Silat, Cimande

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a Silat practitioner, the style that I study is Cimande and Harimau.

The term "Silat" is a broad term for the art from used throughout Indonesia, much like Kung Fu or Karate, and different styles do different things. The particular style I practice emphasizes off timing, fluidity and explosiveness, joint destructions, adaptation and fighting multiple opponents. Our art is geared towards fighting multiple armed opponents at once, and we do place emphasis on both empty hands and weapons training (using, and disarming).

Within Cimande there are four distinct animal styles, Tiger, Monkey, Crane, and Snake, and the Raja Naga, which is the King Dragon and uses all four of the styles interchangeably. Practitioners learn all of these styles and some specialize in one.

Just to clear up some of what's been said (and keep in mind i only can talk about my style) we do practice "de-fanging the snake", that is our blocks are more counter-attacks on the persons limb that lead into different strikes. We practice both flanking (moving at a 45 degree angle to an attacker), and barreling straight through. The advanced students at our school do real-time sparring with live blades (if you've faced a real knife before, you won't be scared of it if someone pulls one out on you on the street). Also, we do full out sparring and don't typically wear pads, except maybe eye protection.

Its normal in class to be taught arm breaks and neck breaks... the idea being that you train worse-case scenario, but you can always pull it back if need be. For example, If uncle bob gets piss drunk and throws a haymaker at you during the family reunion, you're not going to break his arm in 20 different places; but on the other hand if some 200lb. guy comes at you with a knife, most people in this art will have no problems tearing him apart and making sure he doesn't get back up again.

As far as sparring is concerned, while we do hit and hit hard, egos in the upper ranking students and most of the mid ranking ones aren't an issue.... everyone at my school has a lot of respect for each other and we would never deliberately try to break someone's arm or blow out their knee. I've been damaged and bruised and banged up pretty badly, but nothing that hasn't healed, and i kind of like it that way... i know i can take a good shot to the head or the stomach and keep going.

Any more questions, feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer them.

Ken
    Last edited by Naga; 11/05/2004 4:05am at .

Badness will not be rewarded

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 4:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you spar with a live blade with sustaining severe injuries?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 5:20am

Style: Pencak Silat, Cimande

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why only the advanced students are allowed to do it (and when i say advanced, i mean our equivelant of a black belt). It takes a great deal of precision and awareness of the blades, and even then we start with slow sparring and gradually build the speed up.

Badness will not be rewarded

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 5:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Still, there has to be some kind of contact, no?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast