Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Genius

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, the hip-throw is good, but you better damn well have good control and a good base if you do it.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:34pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'm not sure if I'd agree with the 'watch your giving the back throws' for BJJ, if you practice them correctly you should be able to do well. JS has a point there. I would take 1 throw and get real good at it. My recommendation is learn the variations from each point, these two are the one's I'll recommend depending on which one you like. You don't have to perfect the follow ups becuase they just appear via counters.

#1 Outside foot reap which leads to>Floating drop>floating throw>inside foot reap/sweep (note I would put leg roll here but that takes serious practice and most foot locks are illegal in bjj)>inside foot sweep> now you're on the other side for another outside foot reap. It's supposed to go back and forth

#2 Double leg>single leg>high crotch>forward post>suplex (try the back trip it's easier)

For #1 and #2 you only have to be good on the first throw, all the others just end up presenting themselves.

On another note
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    Sure, 'cause kick-ass moves like the "grab his arm and jump backwards" are why bjj is known as the final authority in takedowns.
    You have a point ****-nut but you need to elaborate on your opinion not " 'JUMP' back blah blah blah blah.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:37pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    The throw that Ryu and Ken used to do in streetfighter (I cant believe it actually works!) which is: Grab the lapels, pull and roll to my back, put my foot in their hip joint and fling them over behind me or behind and to the side, follow up by rolling with them and ending in the mount or side control.
    ?

Thanks.

You might get better results on this "Tomei Nage" or "Circle Throw" if you actually jump in on the person and get under neat his base while pulling. I actually do a double foot version of this one.

Genius

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like working from a muay thai clinch, for some reason. I've become adept at shooting a fireman's carry from that position, if a person tries to escape the plum.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    I like working from a muay thai clinch, for some reason. I've become adept at shooting a fireman's carry from that position, if a person tries to escape the plum.
    I have a question for you....

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...168#post476168

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could never land tomoe-nage in Judo, but the way everyone plays hips-away in BJJ allowed me to land my first one ever against a much bigger guy. It could just be that I've gotten better.

Either way, remember to hang on after the guy goes over your head so you follow up into either north-south or roll with him into mount.

Chemist

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found tomoe nage to be very successful for people that are keeping both arms stiff or keeping you from turning one of your hips in
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 7:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome I am getting some useful advice here.

J-lau - thanks, it makes much more sense not to pull regular guard but to pull half or buttefly guard. Is this because I can set up some sweeps from these positions? IE tripod sweep or the one where I pull them over and behind me, using my inside leg to flip them over. (Excuse me, I haven't got the lingo down yet...) I'll be careful about exposing my back, but in practice, I have found that the hip throw presents itself quite often and I could pull it off without a hitch, against guys heavier than me.

Omega - Thanks for the advice, I've got to get the hang of the foot reaps...

Tae no kage -thanks, I will be using Judoinfo.com and then taking that to my instructor

Much love - my WC terminology is a bit rusty, so at first I thought you were taking the piss. But I reread and realised I knew what you meant... Resembles the first move in the dummy right? One hand controlling the arm, the other controlling the neck. I've been experimenting with things like that already, works pretty good. One way to break someone's grip or balance, when you or they have hold of both your /their arms, that I took from wing chun, is to pull one way and push the other, effectively turning them around. As they fight to regain balance, go with them and turn the circle the other way. Should be able to get the throw at some point in there.

Also, it is a pure BJJ tourney, so I wont have to worry about eating any knees, and will secure both points and a good position with the north-south if I can get it.

Cool, thanks for the advice, keep it coming....
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 7:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of BJJ stand up work seem to be judo throws in my opinion though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2004 7:46pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    :iamwithst

Also see if you can cross-train with a wrestler friend.
    This is the only guy that seems to be grounded in this forum. I'm hoping most of you are kidding. But to answer the topic. Go train with any wrestlers. Wrestling has the simplest and high percentage takedowns. Some tips for you: When going for a single leg keep your head inside. Learn some takedown defense like crossface, sprawling, and the wizard (wreslters know what that is).
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast