224715 Bullies, 3873 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 9:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stand up work in BJJ

Ok, so I have a comp coming up and I've been training transitioning from standing to the ground with a friend of mine outside of class, because we are still focusing on groundwork in the class itself.

I have zero experience in grappling starting from standing, except what I have started working on lately. But my Chi Sau training from Wing Chun has helped me with basic things such as being able to keep balance and be explosive.

Things that I am working on:
    The old headlock to hip throw kind of thing. (Very technical, I know.) Dart in, get the headlock, and pull them down and over your leg to the ground, end up in a kind of judo - side control.

The single and double leg takedown, although I don't feel very good at this...

Grab my arms around their waist, get to the back, post a leg out behind their heel, and pull back and over my body. again ending in side control.

The throw that Ryu and Ken used to do in streetfighter (I cant believe it actually works!) which is: Grab the lapels, pull and roll to my back, put my foot in their hip joint and fling them over behind me or behind and to the side, follow up by rolling with them and ending in the mount or side control.

Anyone got any tips or some other simple moves?

Thanks.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 9:15pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMG.

http://www.judoinfo.com

Go learn judo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would if I could, believe me...

thanks for the resource though.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paging Luike Beston and alter7nate!

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 9:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch out for throws that give up your back, such as the hip-throw, especially when you first start out learning standing grappling.

If I were you, I'd stick with doing one technique, such as the single-leg. You should have at least two set-ups for it e.g. Grab one of his sleeves and jump back and pull on his sleeve. As he tries to pull his arm back, his weight will be on his front leg (therefore he can't move it quickly or sprawl), then do a single leg.

Stick with the single leg. You don't give up your back (like some throws) and if it doesn't work you're not in as much danger from a sprawl (like a double-leg).

Also, ask the instructor to go over it in class before the competition. There will be a lot of other people with the same question/s, so don't be afraid to ask.

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 10:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Johnny.

I was thinking along the same lines, to stick to something simple. Perhaps I should work mainly on the single leg.

Feel like I could do with more preparation for the comp but it's going to be fun, and a great learning experience.
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 10:48pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of tournament is it?

Maybe it would just be better to try and defend whatever takedowns your opponent(s) throw at you or pull guard?

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 11:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    State Championships of BJJ in NSW, Australia.

I would like to score some points with the takedown and end up in a better position.
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 11:16pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True true.

I'm not much of the takedown master, beyond a simple armdrag and the single and double leg I got nothing.

As long as you don't go out of your way for the throw and accidentlly put yourself in a worse position because of it you should be cool.

Good luck with the tourney!

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 11:40pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS

If I were you, I'd stick with doing one technique, such as the single-leg. You should have at least two set-ups for it e.g. Grab one of his sleeves and jump back and pull on his sleeve. As he tries to pull his arm back, his weight will be on his front leg (therefore he can't move it quickly or sprawl), then do a single leg.

"Jump" back might be over-doing it.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast