Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to rant here, well maybe a little, but people waste so much money on privates it makes me crazy.

We used to charge a CRAZY amount and I would get scolded for offering to simply come in on a Sunday and work with a student on my own time.

Thats my damn JOB!

If I'm being paid to teach someone, and they simply aren't learning what I've taught them, then I haven't done my job and I havent earned my pay.

Coming in for an hour to work with a student on my own time shouldn't be a world shattering event for me or for them.

But hey, if you there are people here that want to waste money on privates do us all a favor and take some video of the bills before you throw them away. Kind of like a farewell photo.

When you return from your private I'm certain you'll be a killing machine, with knowledge oozing out of your asshole able to flying triangle anyone that dares to approach you.

Even if you can't at least you wont have any money in your pocket for them to try and take.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 2:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 2 cents:
    Private classes are best for learning.
    Group classes are best for practising.

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 2:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe but the amount you learn in a private doesn't even come CLOSE to justifying the amount it costs.

If you need extra help then your instructor isn't doing his job, your clueless, or your very advanced and need to work on things out of the norm in order to improve.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 2:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps, though I wasn't looking at it from a "financial" point of view.

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 3:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should though.

Whever you purchase ANYTHING you should look at it from that view as well as the others.

Theres nothing an instructor can show you in a private that he cant show you in a group class.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 3:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see your point, though ALL the private classes I have had have been free, more a case of "fine points" and "instructor needs a sparring dummy".

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a good MA background before. When I started taking JKD privates it really made my skill sore. With privates you really do get that extra detail for your techniques. I think it boiles down to the person. Sure if you dont know anything paying someone to hold mitts and teach you jab, cross, hook - will be a waste because you can learn that in group class. But if you want to hone your skills, one on one, private or semi privates lessons are the way to go. IMO

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Private lessons really are for accelerated learning. If you're an instructor in a group class setting, you teach a technique and if the person looks like they've got it 80% correctly, you move on and check the next person in the class. If you've got 20-30 people in a class, there's no way you can ensure they've all got the technique exactly right, without slowing down the learning process of the entire class.

In a private lesson however, you can ensure that person is doing the technique correctly and teach them at the speed that they will benefit from the most. For myself, I've lately been getting private lessons from The Reverend on my wrestling. There are certain techniques that suit my body type such as ankle pick that I want to work on. In a normal wrestling class we're doing singles, doubles, high-crotch, arm-drags etc. A lot of these techniques aren't things I want to work on right now. I just want to learn a few key techniques and in a group setting there's neither the time for that, nor is there the opportunity for the instructor to "feel" if my weight is on the head correctly, or if I'm shifting my opponent's weight onto his legs to do the ankle pick. I've got the money and I'm prepared to pay for the service, for which I feel I'm getting my money's worth.

I guess it really comes down to these two things: 1) Can you afford the private lessons 2) Are you getting what you want out of them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 10:32am

Style: www.sssfighting.com

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    private lessons are nice if they are "thrown in" because you pre-paid for grp classes for a few months in advance (ask your teacher see if they are into it). Other then that I would have to agree they are just really good if your stuck on something and need the extra 1 on 1 with the instructor.

loosey.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234