Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 10:06am

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Belts are fine as long as they are put into perspective. One JJJ club I attended very briefly held belts in very high regard. As a beginner in the club, I was ofter look down upon as being "just a white belt", etc. Anyway, when it came time for sparring, all of the Brown belts and most of the BB had a very rough time with me and, well, with no bragging intended, had their asses handed to them. Even though most of them knew I had trained in MT and Kickboxing for about 10 years or so, they could only see the white belt and thought they were so much superior.

Now in my current club, they respect my past experience and treat it accordingly. They allow me to do things, like spar, that only green belts or above do and they have excellerated my gradings based on my ability to do their art well. They realise that belts are just that...pieces of cloth the tie your gi jacket in place.

I guess my point is, as long as the club keeps the belt system in perspective, there's nothing wrong with it and shouldn't be considered bullshido. I went for years with no belt system, respect was given on merrit, not what you wear.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get your Black Belt - only $4.50 while they last!
    and, don't forget your Black Belt Uniform Patch!

`~/

(edit: these links were from one of our sponsors. . .thought it funny, "black belts on eBay!")
    Last edited by Meex; 10/31/2004 1:54pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 1:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badger01

Now in my current club, they respect my past experience and treat it accordingly.

Okay everybody line up the newbie is going to be giving blow jobs!!!!

ew, wrong example?

Sorry you said past experience my bad.

:thefinger

Genius

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punchingdummy
    The point is that MT shorts are becoming a trend where people think that wearing them means they can fight.
    Oh, I doubt that. I haven't met anyone that thinks this. However, I have trained at schools where shorts are given out like a rank. Hopefully, this foolish "trend" will cease.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 2:52pm

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Okay everybody line up the newbie is going to be giving blow jobs!!!!

ew, wrong example?

Sorry you said past experience my bad.

:thefinger
    What's wrong, Omega, you sorry you don't belong to my club? BTW, it's hand jobs from the newbies...they don't have proper technique yet to give BJ's.

You're such a bitch... :thebirdma

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 4:52pm

Style: Mung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Belts in classes seem to be their to assist people with a sense of progression, in that all the hard work and effort they are putting in is actually paying off. Not many people these days seem to be that into ma that they can just train every day without someone else saying "your getting somewhere" In reality you only know within yourself if you are improving all the belt does is show others.
    I remember staying a light blue sash in kung fu for three years training everyday and having people who I helped teach get to a higher sash in a year and suddenly decide they where better, ive been to classes where the black belt instructor clearly new less than some of the brown belt students. Mostly it says you've put in time and been rewarded for it. Not many people wear them outside class though.

Ive always looked at it that if you know where you are and your instructor knows where you are, other people can think and be where they want to be. To me training is a personal thing, I want to improve who I am and the colour of my belt doesn't help that.

And yes obviously instructors have a right to earn a living doing what they love and teaching us what we love but I disagree with compulsory gradings.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234