Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 1:45am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm new here

I just joined up today and I have to say I love this website already. Though the only thing that bums me out is that I don't actually practice any style yet. Any suggestions?

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno if I'm beating the Bullshido welcoming commity to this, but people around here are pretty tight on the rules. Dunno if joining announcements alone should be under this part of the forums :( . You're gonna get a spanking from someone with a sharper tounge than mine, and some examples of the styles generally appraised around here that people will want you to look into (if they're being in a helpful mood :D )

All I can say is check out what's in your local area, and be careful that you find a place you like, a style you like and as people around here focus on, that it's not a complete waste of money and time. As in : is it effective or not or does it comprise of the usual "allmighty dragon penis death touch" techniques that are "too deadly" to be used in say normal sparring, and will be a fightwinner on "t3h str34t tm") Other than that, you should be fine..

I think Omega or someone else will deal with the offical welcome I seem to see everyone getting after a while

Hope you'll enjoy the forums as much as I've been doing so far ^^ I'm a big funky newbie myself

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 4:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably more helpful:

1) Consider goals of training
    2) Find out what clubs are in your area
    3) Post these on the boards

Where is omega?

Village of Idiocy Resident

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 4:20am

Style: Dead Lemur Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if your looking for a school...
    dont go after a style, check out different schools and and see which one you find best.

what is very important is that the teacher knows what he/she is doing. also look at the students, being in a friendly enviroment is always a positive thing.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 6:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/MT/some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, go after a style or you could waste five years doing kata or learning the art of the Ninja and still get the crap beaten out of you by the next drunk that has a go at you in a bar.

In fact find a Thai Boxing school and/or a BJJ school; then watch the sparring and listen to the instructor; if no good, try new schools, same styles.

Or if you just want to be a 5th dan in a years time forget the above...

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 7:09am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok all you guys are being ****, its no good saying go and have a look round and see what you like. You've gotta tell people what they should be looking for.
    Like this;

Good things

Feed back/aliveness/uncooperative drills. You have to learn what works and what you can make work. The only way to do this is by traing with resistive partners.

This is why you should have the option to do

Sparring The harder the contact the better(more realistic).

Bad Things

Compulesery gradings on a timed bases especialy those with an escalating grading fee.

Compulsary longterm contracts.

They claim to be too deadly to spar.

On top of this you've got to worry about "whats the instructor like? what are his/her students like? am I going to enjoy the class? are they teaching what i want to learn?(grappling/striking) how much does it all cost? and whats their injury rate like?" etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 1:04pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all. I discovered the link to this page on GFaqs board 212. And so far I'm liking this board a lot more than 212. Less trolls and stupid answers here.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It might be better to state what area you are at, then people might be able to recommend places for you to check out.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Village of Idiocy Resident

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 2:40pm

Style: Dead Lemur Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McKickboxer.. if you join a school just for the style that is taught there you could be in for a lot of bullshit aswell.

lots of shitty school advertise with highly regarded names... this does in no way make the schools valid.

the most important things are the teacher and the students. NOT the style. cause if your lookin for a BJJ school cause you heard its the best style, and you join some random BJJ school cause of that and the teacher sucks, your still not learning anything.

joining a school cause of the name of a style is just plain stupid.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/30/2004 2:40pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedbettername
    I just joined up today and I have to say I love this website already. Though the only thing that bums me out is that I don't actually practice any style yet. Any suggestions?

You're one of those fucking yipping dogs that tried to get into all the popular cliques at highschool aren't you? I've been telling Phrost for over a year now we need to be more excusive before we let little snot know, fucked in the ass by their mom, cum sucking, wouldn't know **** if a dog crapped on their face, dumbfuck Canadians like yourself onto this site. This site is for real martial artist so go visit map like a little *****. I saw you yesteday, oh no wait, that had to be a different transvestite (sp). Sit down stfu and get that enima out your ass before you reply again!!!!

Welcome to bullshido.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast