But you're buff.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 1:28am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have 5 going to compete. Not sure yet if I am going to enter.

85 to register at the door. 15 to watch at the door. No ****. GQ has gotten out of hand, they aren't promoting the sport, they are profiteering.

***ned

Posted On:
    11/05/2004 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, it's $60 pre-reg. Even though that's still fucking ridiculous, it's better than $85, which is just insane.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 2:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update:

It was listed online at 85 to register at the door. However they LOWERED the price to an amazing $75.

The kicker? Listed at the website was a $15 spectator fee....that was upped to $20. Yes, thats right - $20 to watch. Kids under 4 get in free. Wow.

What did you receive for that admission? The usual tournament fiascos. The really NEAT thing about registering for $75 dollars is you got to stand in the weigh in lines for 2 hours. Yes, that is correct - if you were not an intermediate or advanced you stood for TWO HOURS, no exageration here.

Bottom line? Hella sandbagging, good competition, lousy set up, good refereeing and scorekeeping, and... the promotors got fuckin rich.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How bad is the sandbagging, I won't see our guys till Wednesday to hear their reports. I've heard it's pretty shitty though.

One of our whitebelts got beat by a purple last time in beginner or something like that.

***ned

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 2:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, word on Brian Cimins getting some major fuckin bank.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 4:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    How bad is the sandbagging, I won't see our guys till Wednesday to hear their reports. I've heard it's pretty shitty though.

One of our whitebelts got beat by a purple last time in beginner or something like that.

I had said elsewhere that it was not uncommon to see novices and beginers with cauliflour that looked like my fist.

Seriously. You don't develop skills like most of these guys had in less than a year. Awesome shots and takedowns, killer subs and defense, and... I hate to say this, but there were a lot of roid juiced guys stomping through those newbie divisions.

There was very little differential of skill between beginner and advanced. Well, at least not as much as you would have thought.

IMHO the guys who were winning the advanced division need a division for themselves. There is a HUGE skill differential between 2 years and say the 6+ that a lot of these dudes had. I mean when you look at guys like Jay and Sean in the 170ish division you realize that if you dont have 6 years or more its futile. And throwing guys with 2 years of experience, basically blue belt level, against guys with brownbelt+ level skill is a bit unfair. I guess no more unfair than those guys with 5+ years of grappling wasting the beginner and novice divisions...

To answer your question simply? The sandbagging in GQ has passed the ridiculous mark.

***ned

Posted On:
    11/08/2004 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestingly enough, we didn't have a problem like that in my beginner division. Thankfully so, because I was in the 210+ and I wouldn't have liked to see someone like Jeff Monson in my bracket. It was funny though because before our division got started, I got to see who was in the division and I saw Brandon Vera's name (instructor at City Boxing) and I was like "WTF, I just saw Brandon Vera compete in the advanced division". It turned out that it was just a mix-up, but it would've been funny to see a purple belt go from the advanced division to the beginner division and raping **** up.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12