Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/27/2003 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a weird question, I know, but does anyone know how to measure the strength of certain bodyparts against each other? For example, if I can squat x number of pounds and bench x number of pounds, then my lower body is x amount stronger than my upper body. Also, do you know if there are any standards for just determining strength overall? I heard that you should be able to squat your own bodyweight a couple times. Same for benching. Any truth to that?

--Curious in Commerce (not really Commerce, but the general vicinity thereof, and I thought the alliteration sounded neat)

Have you ever seen a turtle get down?
    Slammin', jammin' to the new sweet sound?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 1:01am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd,
    You're going to get a lot of better answers to this, but I'm coming out of hiatus just to say this. You should be able to squat a lot more than your bodyweight many times over, and you should at a minimum be able to bench your body weight. I bench about 235 and weigh 175. That's not a max press. That's 3 sets at about 11, 10, 9 reps per set. As for squats, my working weight is about 280-290, because I hate the pressure that the bar puts across my shoulders. In a plate leg press, I can work at over 300, but I've never really tested the limit.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 9:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check this out.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness2/fitmancan.shtml

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 11:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many ways to measure/compare your strength. Here are 2 taken from "Lifetime Physical Fitness and Wellness" by Hoeger&Hoeger. This was used in my 300 level university course in the early 90's. All weights are based on a Universal machine (there are conversions for free weights).

Strength to body weight ratio based on a 1 rep max. First column of numbers indicate "health fitness standard" (think: healthy, average, active person). The second column is in the "high physical fitness standard" (excellent,atheletic?)

Bench press 1.0 1.3
    Arm curl 0.45 0.60
    Lat pull-down 0.95 1.10
    Leg press 2.00 2.60
    Leg extension 0.90 1.20
    Leg curl 0.45 0.60

Notes: The values are for males. The chart has regular steps and this is just 2 levels.

For strength and endurance as a function of % body weight. The first column of numbers is the % of your body weight use on the exercises. Second and third numbers represent reps to hit "health fitness" and in the "high physical fitness" standards respectively.

Lat pull-down 70% 10 13
    Leg extension 65% 12 14
    Bench press 75% 10 13
    Ab crunches N/A 33 45
    Leg curl 32% 10 13
    Arm curl 35% 9 12

Using these types of table you could catagorize a body part's strength. For instance, all your leg score are from column 1 but upper body scores are column 2. A conclusion would be "your upper body is disproportionally stronger than your lower body".

Cheers

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/29/2003 3:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good chart and good information.

Helps my self esteem also, though I think that the numbers provided in both the above posts and the men's health are a little on the easy side, even those I don't quite hit.

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2003 5:08am

Style: insane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    um hhmm let me think, hhmm internet, computer, gym/bodybuilding & weight training forums, search engines, hhmm gee

http://www.nutritionalsupplements.com/training.html

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    1/29/2003 10:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice, ignore charts and stats of what you 'should' be able to lift.

Everyone is different. Besides that, unless you've seen the lift someone is claiming, you have no way to verify.

When someone is (example) squatting, weight lifted is going to vary massively depending on weight belts, knee straps, free weight or machine, and depth of squat.

How much you can lift in a certain movement is highly dependent on genetics.
    Shorter, stockier guys are naturally going to be able to lift more weight squatting. Taller, lankier guys are going to be better deadlifters.

There are no reliable standards for determining overall strength.

Keep good form while lifting, and concentrate on putting on a little more weight each time.

--------
    Master of Lay Ze Do
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/30/2003 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mixicus: Thanks a lot. Your chart made me happy in some ways, but very very sad in others.

Have you ever seen a turtle get down?
    Slammin', jammin' to the new sweet sound?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/30/2003 2:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah.. his chart is great and doesn't have silly things like running and jumping like the men's health test!

**Oh my god! I don't wanna go to THE STREET mommy! All the mean crazy psycho ninjas pick on me and take my lunch money.**

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2003 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I have a ratio chart somewhere dealing with opposing muscle groups. Examples Bicep to Tricep is 1:1. I think quadricep to hamstring is 2:1 or 3:1 ect. The article deals with having balanced strength to help prevent injury. If you want me to look for it I will.

Edited by - Sucka_MC on January 30 2003 15:26:34

Edited by - Sucka_MC on January 30 2003 15:26:59