Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 10:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of VT was shown[/irony]..
    Will people who cannot do anything against grappling please stop coming out of the wood-works.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 10:21am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crap... sorry about that. It was listed as .MPEG in the url, and it was supposed to be .mpg.

Fixed now

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 10:47am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wtf? how the hell did he get taken down that easily? Doesn't wing chun emphasize a lot on balance?

Edited by - FHATOdude on January 28 2003 09:47:53

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 2:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my knowledge wing chun doesnt emphasize much on balance. Wing chun by itself isnt the best art but its a great to mix it with boxing and BJJ and Muay thai. Wing chun do have some useful techniques like intercepting and trapping, blocks and perhaps some unique lower leg blocks. Kyukoshin karate blocks would complement wing chun's blocks. I personally find JKD's usage of wing chun to be much more practical than any classical wing chun.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 3:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gods, what a stupid fight!! Why was the wing chun barefoot? He didn't even try to hit the guy. Or manuever or anything. That is a problem with straight wing chun. As soon as it goes outside of the chest circle there's not much to do. I'm sorry, but this guy was fat and out of shape. Talk about fighting on stilks. He missed many techniques wing chun is known for. His gate was funny, his walking in like ozzy osborne was hysterical. SHARON!!! Easy pickings for a the other guy. Definatly a point fighting background.

Peedee and kungfools will NEVER face those they charge.
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone who has trained some Wing Chun, the techniques trained in and methods of standing are EXTREMELY inadaquate(sp) in defense against a shoot / leg takedown. In fact, the ready stance that most WC techniques are trained from is EXTREMELY similar to the stance a training partner takes when practicing shoots in a BJJ school. For them and other grapplers, taking down a Wing Chun practicioner is routine.

The hand techniques are quite good and an excellent complement to other things such as standing grappling and close up striking. As it has been said before, crosstraining is the key. Only by crosstraining will you learn about glaring flaws in your skills that you otherwise would never see.

A.K.A MEAT

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 3:34pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anyone tell me how to fix my mpg player? It hasn't been working lately. Thank you

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 5:53pm

Style: escrima, wc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a question ....

i have had only a few months wing chun training and almost no grappling experience yet. but i simply can't imagine a counter to such a takedown to be very complicated (from a wing chun standpoint). isn't such a head-down attack a perfect opportunity for a knee shot at the attackers head? or at least an elbow strike to his neck if he's already at your legs.

i really can't see the problem ... theoretically at least, because i have no real experience with something like this :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote: "i simply can't imagine a counter to such a takedown to be very complicated (from a wing chun standpoint). isn't such a head-down attack a perfect opportunity for a knee shot at the attackers head? or at least an elbow strike to his neck if he's already at your legs."

A knee strike would only work if you time it perfectly. Usually a shoot is set up first and not simply done from a mile away. If a knee is thrown at the shooter too soon or too late, it will do nothing and only put you on one leg, much easier to take down.

Using an elbow is not a bad idea as long as you are prepared for a big impact at your legs. Just because you hit the opponent with an elbow does not mean you will stop his momentum. Establish a good base and sprawl first, and your elbow will be much more effective. If you are trying to elbow down as a reaction, you will only taken down and possibly picked up and dropped on your head which is even worse. You may connect solid with that elbow, but a strike like that will only hurt the opponent, not stop him. If you suceed you will only have a pissed-off grappler on top of you. With that much adrenaline, he may not even notice.

A.K.A MEAT

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    1/28/2003 6:03pm

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some Wing Chun training and I love that arts but don't use it much. However I does notice same thing that you mentioned. The best way to learn how to defense against legs take down is to have someone get in position where they are ready to take you down. Then you figure a simple (VERY simple) way to counter it. I usuaully use "God's Fist" which mean strong and hard focused downard punch against the head. Other way is to knee the person in face (better if under chin or against eye or nose but not necreassay) before they can take you down. There are also many other way to avoid getting take down. Also try to adjust the way you stand just a bit for this situtation. But I would strongly suggest you to learn basic ground fighting and wrestling so you can get out of it if you HAVE to.

"I would rather admit I am a lousy student than say I am the best, because once you think you are the best, there is no reason to continue learning."
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast