Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2004 10:18am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish you good luck. I wonder when I'll be ready to enter my first BJJ competition. I figure I've got another year or so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2004 8:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supercrap, how did you do? Hopefully you came away with some piece of mind, if not a trophy.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/22/2004 8:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! Okay I didn't post because I had the flu the whole week after the comp.

I fought and lost, but it was a great experience...

I fought against a guy with around a years experience (I have around 4 months) and he outclassed me accordingly.

What I learned from it was that I had good control over my nerves. MY stand up was pretty good until I seemed to just trip over my feet and land on my butt... Up until then I was feeling good, going for throws and trips and resisting his attempts. I basically fell and had him in my guard for about a minute, resisting his attempts to pass, frantically turning and turning with him, until he finally overpowered me and got in side control. Didn't take him long to get me on my side, step over and apply the armbar.

I had an awesome time though and I already feel like I roll better in class for the experience. I have it on video and a bunch of pictures which I could post tomorrow if anyone is interested... However the video is 50 megs and I can't be bothered reducing it in premiere.

All in all it was an awesome day. And I got my free 'BJJ competitor' t-shirt, which made it all worthwhile!
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! I'd like to start competing, but I've got to learn how to keep someone in my guard. I swear my guard gets passed more than a plate of turkey on Thanksgiving Day.

We have these drills where one guy gets someone in the spider guard and the other guy goes for knee on the chest. Well, often times people can pass me as if we were doing that drill. It's pretty frustrating.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    11/23/2004 4:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know... I felt I did pretty well (although he did pass in the end)

They key for me is to make your legs 'heavy' or relaxed, and try to feel where he's trying to go. Don't fight him directly because as soon as you stiffen up your legs become like planks of wood, easy for him to pick up and shove away. Keep them soft and relaxed but not floppy... Think 'heavy'.

Urr... that's my noob's advice for you.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12