Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2009 4:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Personal Training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its so much a connection to wikipedia, its a connection to that article. If you look at the major contributions, most of them were me. I also have a deep rooted need for facts and the ability to substantiate those facts. This probably come from the bit of legal training i have, but i digress.

I like having the link to this thread on that page and i will fight for that. It is when someone says "In my opinion, this is a 'must read' thread" that i start to get defensive. Yes that is a quote for one of the revisions I removed.

I am mearly asking everyone that reads this thread to not immediatly go and edit the wikipedia article with "oh this art sux lolol", and when asked why they can only say "well the guys at bullshido said so". It degrades no only wikipedia but this forum as well.

I also want to clarify, it wasn't an attack at you personally. I realize after reading it now that it could seem that way.

Posted On:
    8/15/2009 12:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    The Tulen Foundation is a tax shelter. Pure and simple. I was around when they formulated it. It's bullshit. It never in the time I was around actually served it's intended purpose. Barbara's business and schools, with the exception of maybe Janesa's school, are hemoraging money. There is no room or non-profit anything.
    Can you explain this to me? I just canceled my membership there for many of the same reasons mentioned in this thread. After offering to bill me less for the months I don't come in they mentioned the Tulen Foundation.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/15/2009 2:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lliquidmetal View Post
    Can you explain this to me? I just canceled my membership there for many of the same reasons mentioned in this thread. After offering to bill me less for the months I don't come in they mentioned the Tulen Foundation.
    This is exactly why I avoid "contract schools" whenever I can. They don't account for you discovering that they're bullshit and wanting to leave, they don't account for extended periods of injury or changes in work or school schedule. They just want your money.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with an exchange of money for learning martial arts, good instructors deserve compensation for their time spent in the art and their expertise. But using a contract to make people pay for training they're not even there for, that's just bullshit. If you can't teach and make money honestly, then go get a real job, or start a McDojo Tae Kwon Leap Daycare, don't screw people out of their hard earned money, especially now when people are having a hard time as it is.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 8:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Tulen Foundation is a 501 C (3) non profit organization which provides self-defense and martial arts training to people who can otherwise not afford it by sponsoring self-defense workshops for children and adults in communities in Oregon, California and Massachusetts and by providing need and merit-based scholarships for ongoing training.

JP's comments in this case border on libelous.
    Last edited by xxxxxxx89x; 10/10/2009 8:15pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 9:15pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx89x View Post
    When you say "border on" do you mean that they would cross the border & be libelous, but they're either true or purely a matter of personal opinion (rather then there being an assertion that they are fact) & therefore there's absolutely nothing wrong with his comments? Is that what you mean? Because that would make sense.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 11:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx89x View Post
    The Tulen Foundation is a 501 C (3) non profit organization which provides self-defense and martial arts training to people who can otherwise not afford it by sponsoring self-defense workshops for children and adults in communities in Oregon, California and Massachusetts and by providing need and merit-based scholarships for ongoing training.
    That's nice. Of course, providing goods and services for those who can't really afford them is one of the most common things that a non-profit does, right? Free martial arts in the forms of half-assed, no lineage Silat/Pukulan/whatever? Sketchy if you ask me.

No they're not.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 7:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Typical

Alright I would like to take this opportunity to confirm and discredit some of the things you have said. I have been training Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen for almost 3 years now and I have to say that I have gotten some questions as to how affective the art is.

1. Yes the facilities are amazing. One thing you are correct on. One With Heart is the biggest school I have been to as well.

2. You kicked one bag out of the at least eight we have there... enough said.

3. No those soccer balls are not for forms. We run childrens' classes too, and use those soccer balls for games with them.

4. Yes, black belts are encouraged to invent forms but until you get to black belt you have to learn 15 standard forms and make at least 5 of your own.

5. Yes, the tournaments that we mainly compete in are point based. But we do "spar" and pretty often. The only pads that are required are on hands and feet.

6. Our art's fighting style is based mainly on speed and agility. And I will admit that going against a grappler would be and interesting fight. But if you put me personally against a grappler in my weight class, I will win. I cannot say the same for other people who train Poekoelan simply because there are certain times when we are sparring that you are not required to fight, purely your decision.

Hopefully I can put some rumors to rest with this post, it is not my intention to offend anyone with any of my remarks. But since we are such a small martial art (with only 15 official schools in the world) I just wanted to stand up for my art. And on a side note, there are currently 2 branches of Poekoelan that I am aware of. There is Poekoelan Tjimindie, and Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen. I am a practitioner of Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen and have no affiliation with anyone who practices Poekoelan Tjimindie.

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I remember the One With Heart school from my Portland days.

Those guys were the butt of a few jokes among our crew.

Seemed like a place where holistic vegetarians could get their Kung - Fu jollies on without the moral dilemma of actually being "violent". Complete with white boy bastardization of oriental philosophy.

It fit so well into the Hawthorn st milieu it was disgusting.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:56am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killer_one View Post
    And I will admit that going against a grappler would be and interesting fight. But if you put me personally against a grappler in my weight class, I will win.
    I know exactly how this is going to proceed, but I have to ask anyway.

So, have you actually fought a trained grappler? On what basis are you making the claim that you would win such a fight - actual evidence, or just a feeling you have?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:58am

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killer_one View Post
    Our art's fighting style is based mainly on speed and agility. And I will admit that going against a grappler would be and interesting fight. But if you put me personally against a grappler in my weight class, I will win. I cannot say the same for other people who train Poekoelan simply because there are certain times when we are sparring that you are not required to fight, purely your decision.
    Are you in Portland? Why not come by SBG & test this theory out. Everyone is very friendly, you just pick out a blue belt about your size & I bet they'd be happy to do some MMA sparring with you. For the record: I'm a blue belt, 5'8" & 170lbs. Always happy to find someone new to play with.
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 18 LastLast