233391 Bullies, 3974 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 2:21am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attempted to discuss wing chun with phil on a message board once.

He's a one-man, steamroller know-it-all.

At least, that was my impression.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Titan

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 4:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We all know guns and knives work, get over yourself Phil.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Sociocidal sociocider

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 5:21am

Style: Currently a SAMBO newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh the irony!

http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/vtg.htm

But a good article nontheless, for people new to MA forums

He seems to know about the internet.

http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/f...detotrolls.htm
    Last edited by Ian G.R.; 10/19/2004 5:26am at .
    Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 6:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt W. paging Matt W....

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 7:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone paged?

I have had, relative to the people at this board, extensive dealings with Phil. I wrote half of a point-counterpoint article on sportfighting with him. You can find it here: http://www.themartialist.com/0404/pointcounterpoint.htm

In my dealings with Phil over the article I found him top be very fair. He invited me to write it after I started arguing on his "paxbaculum" forum. He excercised very little editorial authority, and let me see the final edition before he posted it. I still have to give him his props for publishing my article.

In my subsequent months of posting on his boards, however, I found him to be quite different. He constantly locked threads that weren't going his way. He nutrides HARD on his WC Sifu who also posts on those boards. He speaks with authority on many MA issues, reviewing books and programs and whatnot, though he has AFAIK only trained in WC for about a year, is NOT in Law Enforcement or any other related field and obviously does not seem to have any athleticism at all. Furthermore, though there were a few cool people on his boards, there are also several nutjobs. In fact, I eventually left the paxbaculum forum because one guy started making veiled threats.

In short, they are mostly TMAers who think they are RBSDers because they use a lot of paramilitary terminology and practice for "the streets". Whether any of them can actually fight, I couldn't say. But the ideas they are pushing over there are pure bullshido.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 7:59am

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please use search, Phil has been discussed here before. Or see all the Phil you want at E-budo. Phil alternates between being a self rightous know it all git, and actually having some decent insight. Pretty much like all human beings.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 8:04am

Style: crying in a corner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always got the impression that Randians hated welfare, gun control and such because they resent black and hispanic people, not because they are particularly principled.
    I'm too lazy to read up on crap..Anyone wanna gimme a quick summary of this randian stuff..
    I cant say Im a full fledged believer of Ayn Rand's philosophy, but there are a lot of good points to it, imo. Maybe youve run into some turds who were racist and adopted her philosophy, but that hasnt been my experience at all. Although I have met plenty of blowhards who try to match her tone (disdain for anyone who disagrees), without having the brainpower or knowledge to back it up.

Anyway here is a quick rundown of her philosophy (Objectivism)...
    People who identify with Ayn Rand's work are usually extremely pro-capatalist and pro-individualist. Usually pro-bill of rights too. I guess the political party that would best represent them would be the Libertarians.

The anti welfare/ gun control stance is due to the high value placed on individualism, not because of racism. In fact, racists are quite detested within the philosophy, as decisions about people based on any sort of group identity rather than on the individual's identity are viewed as immoral.

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." —Ayn Rand

You can check out a quick one page description on the website here

*This post might be screwed up - Im unable to preview my post because of the filter system at work

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 8:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestinf, I usually stay away from stuff like that, even though Mike Mentzer used to swear by her, but I will take a look at that website...

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Irons got it right. I would say that the basic fundamental ideal of Ayn Rand's philosophy is essentially the "Ownership of oneself". I have no problem with Phil, even when we disagree.
    True civilization lies in the dominance of self and not in the dominance of other men.

Luther Standing Bear

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    10/19/2004 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just read the point-counterpoint articles that you and Phil wrote. Good job, btw. Have you written other articles, posted anywhere?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast